Ripper Street - Saturday BBC America

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Ripper Street coming to BBC America this Saturday. Has Jerome Flynn the guy playing Bronn in Game of Thrones. I hope its decent.

Krag

Peasant
The first 3 episodes have aired in ol' Britannica. I think it's very well done. There's no overarching storyline (yet, at least), but it's worth seeing if you enjoy crime shows.

The main detective was in Spooks and that horrible remake of The Three Musketeers with airships and crap. I didn't recognise the last guy from anything.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
im watching this via the BBC not BBC America. they dont show titties on BBCA and the first episode had plenty. second episode was sweet. they had a gloriously over the top Fagan character. dude was whuping ass armed witha belt and puffing his pipe. havent seen 3 or 4 yet. i just hope the show isnt forgetting about their ripper premise or tits galore already. bronn is a fucking badass

episode 3
was pretty good. a little gratuitously icky with the subject matter, but was a solid episode

eoisode 4
meh
that ending was fucking stupid, reed had not a goddamned bit of evidence on the railroad dude. his only witness was straight out of the madhouse. he could easily have said, "who the fuck are you? i dont know you. bugger off!" and reed couldnt have done a thing about it.

Zhaun_sl

shitlord
Second series of this is in production.

I'm a fan of Victorian (well Victorian -> Edwardian -> Interwar eras, especially Britain) stuff so I decided to watch this since the cunts at Netflix took off the Jeremy Brett Sherlock Holmes shows and movies. I must say, it is a bit of an odd bird...

The acting is good and there was some clearly interesting characters by the initial story or two seemed a bit flat. I'd give each episode about a 3/5 really, was worth the hour watching, but I wouldn't lose sleep over it. However, as you get towards the end of the series, all these little bits start paying off. All the little "Huh, that is interesting but doesn't seem to be going anywhere" I noted in the first few episodes finally came around and started poking their heads up and then finally exploding into a clusterfuck with great payoff at or near the end of the series.

It has the feeling that someone wrote out the whole story and then broke it into 8 episodes, so you don't really appreciate what is really going on until the end. Up until that point... or if you're looking just for a quick fix of boobs and violence the show it kinda mediocre. If you are looking for something thoughtful and willing to ride it out (they actors really let this happen) it really pays off in the end.

Also, for Game of Thrones fans, for at least the last half of the series there is a random Game of Thrones actor guest starring for a bit which is kinda fun to see too. Though they aren't always immediately apparent.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I finished the season and will watch the next. Btw all jeremy brett sherlock holnes can be found on youtube.

Also if you havent watched it already, then you need to get into Whitechapel. Its set in present day but it has some great episodes.

Zhaun_sl

shitlord
If it is present day I'm not terribly interested. Usually takes a lot for me to watch something modern, same reason I don't watch the Sherlock remake thing.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
its similar to ripper street in some ways. the obvious is that the pilot is about a jack the ripper copycat . at least try that one out. i have no doubt it will hook you right in.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
This show has some very comically bad acting in parts but it's not a terrible watch. I think I'm six episodes into the first season. Not something I clamor to get more of but good for an episode or two a week.

Eonan

Doer of Things
Been binge watching this on Netflix after finishing Peeky Blinders, three actors from GoT already in the first season. Barristan, Bronn, and Jorrah. Edit: And there goes Hodor lol.