Rise and Fall of Medal of Honor

Shmoopy

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Some great history here besides the inevitable studios closing after EA purchase:

- the original MOH was spin off of Spielberg films
- EA is inadvertently responsible for Infinity Ward forming, making Call of Duty, and making Activision $ billions

dyadestrant

Molten Core Raider
Never dug MoH but these are the guys who did the awesome Rise and Fall of Command and Conquer vide, so what the hell

but now I care more about what the original title was

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Rise or tall or fall of it all with Medal of Honor.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
It's hard to explain just how awesome the original was on PS1. The video does a good job trying to put a point on it, but living through the evolution of certain games and genres is better experienced.

Watching videos like these just frustrate me more with regards to studios, marketing, and advertising. It is always the same story. You have this ground breaking product that everyone loves and the reaction is let's strip it of what made it great and make more more more! If the Medal of Honor stuff doesn't make you mad just look at the introduction of Call of Duty and what it used to be, or Battlefield Bad Company. Today we have shells of what the series one was because it is derivative shit.

We're not without culpability. Mt. Dew Doritos pew pew Xbox Leaderboard was such an emphasis for the last decade. But the shift from a quality narrative driven single player (or fuck even co-op story mode) got completely thrown out with the bath water. Why waste time when you can just reuse assets for this year's release of FPS 20XX. I don't even care what the setting is. WW1, 2, Nam, Middle East, I just want a good game.

Need to stop watching these. Get my heart goin.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

dyadestrant

Molten Core Raider
It's hard to explain just how awesome the original was on PS1. The video does a good job trying to put a point on it, but living through the evolution of certain games and genres is better experienced.

Watching videos like these just frustrate me more with regards to studios, marketing, and advertising. It is always the same story. You have this ground breaking product that everyone loves and the reaction is let's strip it of what made it great and make more more more! If the Medal of Honor stuff doesn't make you mad just look at the introduction of Call of Duty and what it used to be, or Battlefield Bad Company. Today we have shells of what the series one was because it is derivative shit.

We're not without culpability. Mt. Dew Doritos pew pew Xbox Leaderboard was such an emphasis for the last decade. But the shift from a quality narrative driven single player (or fuck even co-op story mode) got completely thrown out with the bath water. Why waste time when you can just reuse assets for this year's release of FPS 20XX. I don't even care what the setting is. WW1, 2, Nam, Middle East, I just want a good game.

Need to stop watching these. Get my heart goin.

I completely forgot that MoH was on PS1 originally. My first one went to the PS2 one (Allied Assault?). Haven't watched the video yet but yeah, the first one was amazing for its time.

As much as I dig watching e-sports (League and Dota mainly), everything that comes out is attempting to become that next big streaming sensation so all of the focus is placed there, rather than, as you say, a good narrative single-player campaign. Last good narrative FPS I remember playing was Spec Ops: The Line, which despite its flaws, I really enjoyed.

I could go on a boring monologue on how everything is structured for instant gratification but don't want to sound like "Old man yells at clouds" so fuck it.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
MOH:AA was such a carbon copy of Saving Private Ryan that it was shocking they didn't just name the game that. It also gave birth to the WWII fad that the industry went through for a while where every other game seemed to have a WWII theme. That being said it was an excellent game. I had more fun with the multiplayer than I did the singleplayer. Took me forever to get past sniper town.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user