Rise of Empires: Ottoman

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
Ok finished it, yep its basically Mehmed hero worship and also there were small subtle things throughout that downplayed Byzantine efforts. But I actually expected worse when I saw the cast, directors and most the writers were Turkish, so there is that.

Most of the defense was native, while in the show it was all 24/7 Guistianni and his "Italian" (half were greeks in his company) mercenaries that did everything. The Emperor was very much a constant active participant fighting on the walls, not just wringing his hands the whole siege and hoping Guistianni would save him. And they really went overboard making Loukas Notaras into some villain. Loukas Notaras was the prime minister I referenced above who refused to turn his son over to be the Sultans Catamite and so was beheaded.

They totally skipped over the fact Prince Orhan (being held "hostage" in Constantinople) and his Turkish supporters helped man the walls and defend the city. Turk vs Turk would of spoiled the mood in the show I guess.

Anyways its worth a watch and will be a good vehicle for people to learn a bit more about that event who otherwise would not read a word of history. I did like that they heavily used the word Roman to describe the people in Constantinople because that is what they called themselves and its what arabs and turks call Greeks who live in Turkey and the Mid-East to this very day. Might blow some minds when they watch the show and realize the "Roman Empire" lasted until the 1450s

Last edited:

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Just finished the first episode and quite enjoyed it. I really loved the Roman Empire series and I'm glad they kept the same format with this one.

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
Season 2 is out and it's pretty dope. Mahmed vs Vlad the Impaler

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user