Robert Jackson Bennett

jmal2000

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Robert Jackson Bennett is an American author known for his speculative fiction novels that often blend elements of fantasy, science fiction, and horror. Born in 1984, Bennett has published several critically acclaimed novels and short stories.

Some of his notable works include:

1. The Divine Cities trilogy (City of Stairs, City of Blades, and City of Miracles): A fantasy series set in a world where gods once ruled but were killed by humans, exploring themes of colonialism, religion, and power.
  2. American Elsewhere: A novel that combines science fiction and horror, set in a mysterious town in New Mexico with a secret connected to an abandoned research facility.
  3. The Founders Trilogy (Foundryside, Shorefall, and Locklands): A fantasy series set in a world where objects can be imbued with sentience, following a psychic thief named Sancia who becomes entangled in a conspiracy involving powerful merchant houses and ancient magic.
  4. The Troupe: A dark fantasy novel about a young man who joins a traveling vaudeville troupe led by a mysterious figure, exploring themes of identity, creativity, and the nature of reality.
  5. Mr. Shivers: A horror novel set during the Great Depression, following a man seeking revenge against the mysterious figure he believes is responsible for his daughter's death.
  6. The Tainted Cup: A biopunk fantasy murder mystery part of 3 book series Shadows of the Leviathon. It's a combination of Knives Out and Attack on Titan.
Bennett's works have earned him numerous nominations and awards, including the Edgar Award, the Shirley Jackson Award, and the Philip K. Dick Award. His writing is known for its imaginative world-building, complex characters, and thought-provoking themes.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

jmal2000

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
the-founders-trilogy.png

Cyberpunk Psychic Epic Adventure, starts with main character possessing psychometry, she develops her psychic abilities further in the book. The psychic scenes are well written and described. You will visualize ESP into your imagination with this book. Like see through walls and stuff when you visualize what you read from this. Foundryside is a psychic heist book. Shorefall is a psychic heist book as well. Locklands is a psychic war book. In the 3rd book, the author creates psychic societies. Its really interesting.

9781399725354.jpg

Biopunk Fantasy Murder Mystery - This book is heavy into plants and spores. For an empire built by the waters, 4 giant walls are built to protect the inner kingdom from the giant leviathans. Where these leviathans go, plants and trees grow sporadically. The main character is an Assistant Detective to a Mastermind Investigator, he underwent suffusion in his brain and has eidetic memory because of it, he uses vials of smells to memorize scenes and interrogate people, he recounts his stories to the mastermind investigator who pieces together the crimes. This book is like Knives Out mixed with Attack on Titan. This book was a lot different than Founders Trilogy, its a murder mystery but its part of a 3 book series so there will be more to come out. I really like the biopunk element. And I like RJB because he's fairly young 40 years old and he introduces a lot of new concepts of fantasy that haven't been done before. He's very gifted at creating new worlds and making you vision cool scenes in your mind.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

jmal2000

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Foundryside is the first book in Robert Jackson Bennett's Founders Trilogy, a captivating blend of fantasy and science fiction set in the city of Tevanne. In this world, a form of magic known as "scriving" allows individuals to alter reality by inscribing sigils on objects, effectively rewriting their fundamental properties and behaviors.

The story follows Sancia Grado, a skilled thief with a mysterious past. Sancia possesses a unique ability that allows her to sense the "thoughts" of inanimate objects, making her an exceptional thief. During a heist, she stumbles upon a powerful artifact known as a "key" that grants her even greater abilities, but also puts her in the crosshairs of powerful factions vying for control over the city's scriving technology.

As Sancia becomes entangled in a web of conspiracies and power struggles, she forms an unlikely alliance with a group of individuals who share her desire to uncover the secrets behind scriving and the true nature of the key. Together, they embark on a perilous journey to unravel the mysteries of Tevanne and confront the corrupt forces that seek to exploit scriving for their own gain.

Throughout the book, Bennett explores themes of power, corruption, and the consequences of unchecked technological advancement. The intricate magic system of scriving is both fascinating and thought-provoking, as it raises questions about the nature of reality and the ethical implications of altering it.

Foundryside is a gripping and imaginative tale that combines fast-paced action, complex characters, and philosophical introspection. It sets the stage for a thrilling series that delves deeper into the world of Tevanne and the implications of scriving on society and the individuals who wield its power.

=============
-
-----------------------
==
===========

Shorefall
is the second book in Robert Jackson Bennett's Founders Trilogy, picking up where Foundryside left off. The story continues to follow Sancia Grado and her allies as they navigate the complex political landscape of Tevanne and uncover more secrets about the nature of scriving.

In the aftermath of the events in Foundryside, Sancia and her friends find themselves in a precarious position as they attempt to rebuild their lives and protect the city from new threats. However, their plans are disrupted when a powerful figure from Sancia's past resurfaces, seeking to harness the full potential of scriving for their own nefarious purposes.

As Sancia and her companions race against time to stop this new enemy, they discover that the very foundations of reality are at stake. They must confront not only the physical dangers that threaten Tevanne but also the philosophical and moral implications of their actions as they wield the power of scriving.

Throughout the book, Bennett further expands on the intricate magic system of scriving, delving deeper into its origins and the ways in which it can be used to shape reality. The story also explores themes of identity, free will, and the nature of consciousness, as the characters grapple with the implications of their abilities and the choices they must make.

Shorefall is a thrilling and thought-provoking sequel that raises the stakes and deepens the world-building established in Foundryside. It is a masterful blend of action, intrigue, and philosophical speculation that will keep readers engaged until the very end, setting the stage for the final installment in the trilogy.

=============
-
-----------------------
==
===========

Locklands
. The story concludes the epic tale of Sancia Grado and her companions as they face their greatest challenge yet in the struggle for the future of Tevanne and the world beyond.

In the wake of the events of Shorefall, the city of Tevanne is in turmoil, and the consequences of the characters' actions have rippled across the land. Sancia and her allies find themselves at the center of a brewing war that threatens to engulf not only Tevanne but the entire world. As new and old enemies emerge, each with their own agenda and mastery of scriving, the stakes have never been higher.

Sancia must confront the true nature of her abilities and the role she plays in shaping the future. She and her companions are forced to make difficult choices and sacrifices as they navigate a complex web of alliances, betrayals, and shifting loyalties. The very fabric of reality hangs in the balance as they race to uncover the ultimate secrets behind scriving and the power it holds.

Locklands delves even deeper into the philosophical and moral implications of scriving, exploring questions of power, control, and the nature of reality itself. Bennett masterfully weaves together the various plot threads and character arcs established in the previous books, delivering a satisfying and thought-provoking conclusion to the trilogy.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
OK, so what is the reading order? I am intrigued.

• 2Like

jmal2000

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Founders Trilogy
Foundryside (Heist) -> Shorefall (Heist) -> Locklands (War)

The Tainted Cup is different world from Foundryside, it's a murder mystery series he just started. It's his newest book.

I recommend you read the Founders Trilogy first. You can find them here.

What I like about this author is all these books are fairly new, starting with Foundryside 2018, Shorefall 2020, Locklands 2022 and The Tainted Cup is his 2024 work. I like newer works more than older works.

• 2Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
I haven't checked out his new books, but I got Mr.Shivers on audible not long after it came out, and I probably listen to it once a year when I'm traveling. Of all of his works it's definitely my favorite, but Company Man is really good too. I think he's actually a Texas if I'm not mistaken. I've read American Elsewhere, and at least of me it was a turn in the wrong direction. Maybe aught to revisit but I didn't necessarily care for it. Somewhere along the line he started getting not going to say woke, but all of his protagonists are female, and I just don't necessarily care for strong independent woman bullshit. I'm sorry but I just don't care for female protagonist and my fiction. Not that I can't be done well, but he took a hard nose turn somewhere along the road, think that was with American Elsewhere. Never read The Troupe.

Mr.Shivers, especially the audio version is fantastic, and a lot of that has to do with the narrator. I guess that's why I've listened to it maybe three or four times over the years.

If you like him, check out Nick Cutter (nom de plume). Think the guys Canadian, but he's easily my favorite horror author, reminds me of Stephen King back when he was doing rails of Coke and crushing cases of tall boys. Every one of his books are fantastic, but I haven't read the newest one, forget it's name. The Deep, Little Heaven, and The Breach are all very Lovecraftian, and although not linked, there's a dominant theme. Not really sure if he intended that to be the case, or supposed to be some sort of loose trilogy, but they're all wonderful books if you like that particular genre. I can't recommend them enough. Probably one of the only authors out there that I constantly check to see if he's got something new out because I like his work so much.

The Acolyte is actually really good as well, but it's a big departure from the other novels and concept. I didn't buy it for a long time but needed something to read and picked it up, and was pleasantly surprised with how much I enjoyed it. Again the guys like Stephen King, except not the current retarded version.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

jmal2000

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
I haven't read his early works. He did one hell of a job making the Founders Trilogy scale in epicness. And I really liked the ESP imagination I visualized from reading him describe psychic ESP vision. His new murder mystery is alright. I like the fantasy biopunk setting. But it has a lot of deus ex machina in it to complete the story but I guess you have to have that in a murder mystery.

I very much enjoy his work. He said in an AMA he already has the sequel written. Hopefully he releases it 1 year apart from the first, not his signature 2 years. I love reading his works.

• 1Like

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
I haven't read his early works. He did one hell of a job making the Founders Trilogy scale in epicness. And I really liked the ESP imagination I visualized from reading him describe psychic ESP vision. His new murder mystery is alright. I like the fantasy biopunk setting. But it has a lot of deus ex machina in it to complete the story but I guess you have to have that in a murder mystery.

I very much enjoy his work. He said in an AMA he already has the sequel written. Hopefully he releases it 1 year apart from the first, not his signature 2 years. I love reading his works.
The Founders trilogy is truly an epic work, but what struck me is the last one, which is one of the handful of novels that attempt to depict the slow slide of human society into a post-human society. You do get a sense of how a society that works on a completely different paradigm than the ones that existed before.

This is something that almost nobody tries, because it is hard - for the same reason that almost all "aliens" in science fiction are reskinned humans, because trying to impart fundamental alienness is hard, since the author is, by definition, human. You've got Egan who often depicts post-human societies. You've got an attempt by Arthur C. Clarke with Childhood's End. And, in a fantasy/magipunk setting, Bennett.

• 1Like

jmal2000

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
The Founders trilogy is truly an epic work, but what struck me is the last one, which is one of the handful of novels that attempt to depict the slow slide of human society into a post-human society. You do get a sense of how a society that works on a completely different paradigm than the ones that existed before.

This is something that almost nobody tries, because it is hard - for the same reason that almost all "aliens" in science fiction are reskinned humans, because trying to impart fundamental alienness is hard, since the author is, by definition, human. You've got Egan who often depicts post-human societies. You've got an attempt by Arthur C. Clarke with Childhood's End. And, in a fantasy/magipunk setting, Bennett.

I just like how he advanced the use of psychic like abilities throughout the book. The third book is a war book for sure. I like how he describes psychic societies, groups of twinned individuals. Pathing through people. Sharing memories with a nation, indexxing, finding people who know those memories within that nation. I just loved it. Specialized twinned groups that fit same temperament. It's interesting how it evolved into that from the first two books.

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>

Oh wow, go read Mr.Shivers and Company Man. If you do audible get the audio versions, both are wonderfully narrated. I just do a lot of audiobooks because I travel a bunch for work, and a beats listening to classic rock over and over. I think those are his two first novels, and they're totally worth your time. Hell, I think I made a thread or posted about one of those books years ago.

• 1Like

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Finished Mr. Shivers and am about halfway through Company Man. I really liked Shivers but Company Man is just great.

• 1Solidarity

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Finished Mr. Shivers and am about halfway through Company Man. I really liked Shivers but Company Man is just great.
Are you doing the audio versions? Both are fantastic novels, but his work sort of tapers off afterwards, or at least the other stuff that I've read by him.

I do need to check out his fantasy series though.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Are you doing the audio versions? Both are fantastic novels, but his work sort of tapers off afterwards, or at least the other stuff that I've read by him.

I do need to check out his fantasy series though.

Nope, actually reading. For some reason I could never get into audio books.

• 1Solidarity

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Nope, actually reading. For some reason I could never get into audio books.
I didn't do that for a long time but with traveling I just found I could always get hours of reading in when on the road. If I pick up a book and lay down on the sofa read I always fall asleep. The audio versions are both phenomenal for those two books. I'm pretty critical when I get books off of audible because of the narrator is just ridiculous, I just can't sit and listen to it. Mr shivers specifically is such a well narrated novel. You might want to check them out.

Sorry, just happy somebody else is able to enjoy it those books. They're really good, and when you find something worth your money and time, you want to share it with others.

Right on though.

• 1Like

Bodhy

Karen
<Banned>
My sincere gratitude to you, OP. I was wondering if there was a genre like this, sort of like a spin on fantasy but with sci-fi elements too, and also, crucially, one that doesn't hold the fuck back in terms of either horror or disturbing subject matter. I was thinking it could have been New Weird, like China Meiville, but this looks to be its own distinct flavour. Fantasy that does away wtih typical tropes and becomes fantasy in the true sense of the word - creative fiction where the only constraint is the imagination.

My only question here is: How in the literal FUCK have I not heard of this guy?

Fantasy is like my tied for first fav genre but one of my pet peeves is that it's too cliched and happy, some times. The world is gay and merry with fragrant meadows, magic is cute and folksy, kids go to school and learn how to wave wands, wiry old wizards are always wise and friendly, the bad guy tends to be a dragon or kinda evil wizard etc.

I want something more adult and gritty when I read fantasy. It's why I loved the Witcher and the series Prince of Nothing. Shows that fantasy worlds can be bleak as shit, full of plagues and disease and endless conflicts. Somewhere you wouldn't want to live at all unless you're absurdly wealthy.

I also like exploring how magic can facilitate the worst of evils in my own worldbuilding, and how, since fantasy is only constrained by the imagination, can engender unspeakable horrors as well. Things beyond physics and sensibility.

My world is high fantasy, but the reason magic exists is due to a very sci-fi ish reason (kind of like the Necrons from Warhammer where their magic is really just extremely advanced science).

I'm definitely going to get some of these books ASAP! Just what I've been looking for.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Company Man complete. It really was a great stand-alone novel. I would recommend it to anyone that likes mystery and even a little bit of sci-fi/fantasy.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I had to check my shelf but this is from 2020. My only signed and lettered edition from SubPress. It has been four years so no idea if rights would even transfer to me if they ever did a Founders release, and no rumors I’ve heard from SubPress release schedule with plans.

May need to resize these when not on mobile.

IMG_6258.jpeg
IMG_6259.jpeg

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
I finished The Troupe last night. I am really digging his style of writing and the settings. Is the Founders Trilogy going to disappoint me after those three stand alone novels?