Robin Williams dead at 63...

Cybsled

Of all the famous or semi-famous people you can be a dick to on the internet, why would you chose Zelda Williams? That seems like misplaced douchebagery.
No kidding, but then again the internet is full of sociopaths.

Agenor

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
His wife is saying that he was in the early stages of Parkinson's. Figured there had to be something else to it.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
The way he did it was pretty intense, though. I don't think I would do it, but if I did do it I would pick an easier route I would think.

Wuyley_sl

shitlord
The way he did it was pretty intense, though. I don't think I would do it, but if I did do it I would pick an easier route I would think.
Can't go wrong with the running car in the garage. Get wasted, listen to some badass toons, and eventually fall asleep. Plus it's easy cleanup.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Wuyley_sl said:
Can't go wrong with the running car in the garage. Get wasted, listen to some badass toons, and eventually fall asleep. Plus it's easy cleanup.
Lou disagrees.

dak

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Parkinson's Disease has a really high misdiagnosis rate (25%) and progression to more debilitating stages doesn't necessarily happen quickly.

He could have lived a very comfortable life for a few years at least, I'd probably wait until I was at least in Stage 2-3 before I'd consider ending it.

Suicide still seems odd to me, if he wanted to check out of reality he could have spent the remainder of his days in a drug induced haze, comfortably numb on some white sanded beach.

I still don't get why successful people commit suicide out of depression. When I think of reasons people commit suicide out of depression it is one or more of the following reasons:
1. Sense of failure and lack of self work - Not applicable here, guy was highly successful and had the power to continue making meaningful and long lasting impact on society.
2. Sense of feeling trapped or seen everything life has to offer- Not applicable here, guy could go anywhere in the world and do almost anything he wanted at a whim.
3. Loneliness - Not applicable, this guy could have hung out with anyone he wanted. Not just dumb vapid whores, but probably royalty, prolific scientists, explorers..anyone almost.
4. Neurotransmitter problem or other neurological abnormality - Depression without a legitimate social or moral reason certainly manifests, but treatments for this are pretty advanced. Particularly if you a world famous, well connected actor that has no responsibilities beyond being a father, there are plenty of treatments to address chemical imbalances.
5. Depression leads to illicit drug use - In that case they should say died due to the influence of drugs. When a depressed man goes on a PCP fueled rage the news says he got gunned down by cops while under the influence of PCP, not because he was depressed.

As far as I'm concerned, with all of the horrors people endure in this world and come out intact, suicide due to depression by successful people is a bitch move. If people want to kill themselves more power to them, but if they are in this guys position it is jaded and certainly not heroic.

Trollicious_sl

shitlord
Suicide isn't supposed to be heroic. It is just a way out. If you have never thought about suicide due to depression, you have 0 fucking clue how deep and dark a rabbit hole it is.

dak

Bronze Knight of the Realm
If you have never thought about suicide due to depression, you have 0 fucking clue how deep and dark a rabbit hole it is.
I'm fully aware that depression makes you do irrational things..

All I'm saying is depression is due to lifestyle and/or fundamental neurological issues. Robin Williams had the resources to address both, but he didn't. Why?

I guess you could argue it is a failure of his healthcare continuum to pick up with slack for his depression induced lack of rationale, but I think that is a crock of shit.

Anyways, I'm not going to sit here and attack his choice. It was a terrible choice, we all know it. If Robin Williams didn't go through with it, he'd probably say himself it was a terrible choice the next day. I'm just trying to grasp how something like this happens. I feel that a large part of it is there is a relatively recent trend towards a culture of permissiveness to suicide.

I'm not a religious person at all, but when religious texts say something to the effect of "You'll burn in hell if you commit suicide", this is why. The easy way isn't the right way when it comes to important life choices.

Trollicious_sl

shitlord
I don't think you get it. And you never will. And that is ok. The reason you don't get it is because you have never been there. The easiest way I have tried to explain this to people who don't have depression or never have or never will is this.

Look at Robin Williams when he was happy and excited. The energy, the emotion that pure crazy manicness. That was him at his high. His low is the complete opposite of that. You will never be at his extremes. This coupled with the news of the parkinsons and looking at what his next 5-10 years had in store for him? Yep. Suicide for him wasn't a choice. It was the only way. He managed as far as he did because of his success and his career and his money and all the love he had. At some point it gets to you. And this was his breaking point. Be happy for the good times, and try to understand that people are wired different.