Robin Williams dead at 63...

Trollicious_sl

shitlord
Rather than edit, an addendum.

The man has been fighting a 63 year long war against his brain. You haven't been alive that long let alone fought anything for more than a month. This man should be celebrated as a god damn hero not a coward. He fought the hardest thing for 63 fucking years. He was fighting himself. You never will win that fight.

dak

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I don't think you get it. And you never will. And that is ok. The reason you don't get it is because you have never been there. The easiest way I have tried to explain this to people who don't have depression or never have or never will is this.

Look at Robin Williams when he was happy and excited. The energy, the emotion that pure crazy manicness. That was him at his high. His low is the complete opposite of that. You will never be at his extremes. This coupled with the news of the parkinsons and looking at what his next 5-10 years had in store for him? Yep. Suicide for him wasn't a choice. It was the only way. He managed as far as he did because of his success and his career and his money and all the love he had. At some point it gets to you. And this was his breaking point. Be happy for the good times, and try to understand that people are wired different.
That's another thing that bothers me, people who treat their depression like they are some magical snowflake. EVERYONE is depressed dude, probably half the population has put serious thought into blowing their brains out at some point. People with a lot less options than Robin Williams.

I "get" depression, I've laid in a comatose state for a weeks without eating, crying uncontrollably, planning to get on a bus, drive under a bridge in the middle of nowhere and take my life on a regular basis. I didn't have a legitimate reason, I couldn't put my finger on why I wanted to die. I don't though, because it is a bitch move considering how bad people out there really have it. I realized ending my life as a moderately successful white male is weak and pathetic given all of the atrocities people endure. I also held off due to the impact I'd have on 1-2 people in my life (as oppose to the thousands, millions...billions? of people Robin's suicide impacted). Did I want to die? Yes, but instead I staggered through life as a zombie for a while until I got by priorities straight.

Trying to "justify" suicide due to depression is like trying to justify being an axe murder. They are both wrong and shouldn't be discussed as an acceptable option. Having your "brain wired wrong" isn't an excuse, especially as a rich man in the modern age. Plenty of pedophiles, murders and rapists have problems with "brain wiring", but their lack of impulse control leading to poor decisions doesn't get any sympathy. You acknowledge you have a problem, you get help and you refrain from harming others or yourself.

Suicide no longer carries the taboo that it rightfully held in the past. In the back of the mind of the average man today there is a deeply ingrained feeling of "there is no afterlife punishment, I'm a replaceable cog in a machine, and there are too many fucking people anyways" as a justification. They have unprecedented access to the annals documenting humanities frailty, indifference and cruel nature. High suicide rates of the modern age aren't a failing of the medical industry, they are a product of the devaluation of human life in general. That's the discussion people should be having.

Trollicious_sl

shitlord
There is a difference between being sad, being depressed and having the god damn brain wired wrong. You might talk about how sad and shitty your life was but have you ever had the highs and manics that Robin had? I highly doubt it. Which is why I highly doubt you were the extreme opposite either. Manic depressive, bipolar, etc is not the god damn same thing as regular sadness or even depression.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I've heard that cars emissions are low enough now that it's pretty hard to kill yourself that way these days. Williams lived in San Francisco within walking distance of the #1 suicide destination in the country though. He could have been the most famous person to ever jump off the golden gate bridge.

Trollicious_sl

shitlord
tony scott did it just a bit ago. very famous man. directed some of my favorite movies
frown.png

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
He just jumped off of some shitty bridge in LA though.

Grimsark

edit: I do not endorse this message. I am only sharing it. The truth may never be known.

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
Grimsark, where do you actually find the time to watch these fucking youtube epics?

Second question: Do you actually think anyone here watches them too?

Grimsark

Grimsark, where do you actually find the time to watch these fucking youtube epics?

Second question: Do you actually think anyone here watches them too?
To answer your first question. That is often a question I end up asking myself at times...
wink.png
I think I have become something of an information junkie of late.

As for the second question. It is my observation in life, that we are only capable of learning what we are willing to pursue and ready to accept. The historical irony in both, is that for most of human history it has been ACCESS that has been the easiest to control by the actions (or the lack of actions) of others. And so I share whatever I think might be relevant, and allow the individual to do the rest, if they so choose.

• 1Harrow
Reactions: 1 user

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
lol @ people thinking they understand other people, or can somehow relate to these things. Seriously, it's pointless. My sister is bi-polar, manic. Best friend of twenty years is manic, manic-depressive. They are not normal people. I've been through depression, but I'm certainly not bi-polar, nor am I manic/manic-depressive. Their depression comes and goes like the wind. One minute they're perfectly normal people, the next they're telling you you're a shit-bag loser for no reason other than you've been sitting on their couch for one too many minutes (or whatever reasoning their mind came up with at the time). My friend acts in a way very similar to Robin Williams. Generally a hyperactive funny guy.

Don't pretend like you know what they're going through, it's honestly insulting. Similarly, I won't ever pretend like I know what anyone else is going through. The best thing I could ever do for either of them (my sister and friend), is to be as normal, stable as I can around them. Even when their windfury proc's and they rage at me for no reason. They appreciate that more than everyone else who try to diagnose or "treat" them. You're not a fucking doctor and they didn't ask for your fucking help.

Dabamf_sl

shitlord
If you're ever doing a study on how ignorant dumbasses think and don't know where to find participants, you are sure to find a pool of perfect candidates in any thread about suicide. Anyone who calls it weak or cowardly are perfect candidates. "Oh, this thing I know fucking nothing about? COWARD! Why do I think that? I have lived a many long years repeating what other dumb shits have said before me, and it must be right because my baseless opinion is never wrong."

If you don't understand why someone like Robin Williams could ever kill himself, considering how successful and beloved he was, you have 0 understanding of depression and suicide and should keep your ignorant mouth shut. It's perfectly understandable to NOT understand it, but that means you aren't allowed to have an opinion on the matter.

I really hate people who equate mental illness with weakness. "How could he leave his loved ones behind?! What a selfish act!" How about some god damn compassion instead? "Wow, with all the resources he had, how successful and beloved he was, he still committed suicide. He must have been in a lot of pain."

Same facts, same reasoning. One is the perspective of an asshole; the other is the perspective of a human being.

dak

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I'm deleting this since this isn't a place to complain about our suicide-enabling society. It is just hurting people' feelings.

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
If you're ever doing a study on how ignorant dumbasses think and don't know where to find participants, you are sure to find a pool of perfect candidates in any thread about suicide. Anyone who calls it weak or cowardly are perfect candidates. "Oh, this thing I know fucking nothing about? COWARD! Why do I think that? I have lived a many long years repeating what other dumb shits have said before me, and it must be right because my baseless opinion is never wrong."

If you don't understand why someone like Robin Williams could ever kill himself, considering how successful and beloved he was, you have 0 understanding of depression and suicide and should keep your ignorant mouth shut. It's perfectly understandable to NOT understand it, but that means you aren't allowed to have an opinion on the matter.

I really hate people who equate mental illness with weakness. "How could he leave his loved ones behind?! What a selfish act!" How about some god damn compassion instead? "Wow, with all the resources he had, how successful and beloved he was, he still committed suicide. He must have been in a lot of pain."

Same facts, same reasoning. One is the perspective of an asshole; the other is the perspective of a human being.
ITT people romanticizing/excusing suicide. I never claimed to know what someone who commits suicide is going through, although I am not unfamiliar with manic/bi-polar/depressive issues from friends and family members. I have in my life have moments where I thought about ending it all, and I can tell you what the front end of a chambered round looks like.

The result, however, is no different than someone who is a raging alcoholic getting behind the wheel and driving into their own living room, ruining the lives of their friends and family waiting to throw them a surprise birthday party. Isn't the alcoholic in pain, suffering from a disease? No one in their right mind would say "You just don't understand why Jeffery had to drink 27 bourbon and cokes! Can't you see the pain he was in?" The mental and emotional wreckage from the aftermath of a suicide is no different, and the pain/mental illness you are going through doesn't ameliorate your responsibility to your loved ones.

I loved Robin Williams and greatly lament his loss; he really was a genius. He no longer needs your compassion, though; it's the living towards which you should express those emotions.

Trollicious_sl

shitlord
No one is romanticizing anything. Death in general, and suicide as one of the more sad ones, fucking suck. However, there are things clearly worse than death to all of us. He found his limit and made a decision.