Rocksmith 2014 now with custom DLC

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
As a heads up for anyone who purchased this on the sale or was on the fence but this is pretty big. Basically they have cracked it so anyone can produce songs for rocksmith. Here is a brief rundown:

* Go here (Smithys Anvil) and sign up
* Download the attached .DLL (D3DX9 zip) and extract into the main RS2014 folder (for steam that is C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Rocksmith2014\)
* You will need a "seed" DLC. Mostly all the out-of-the-box CDLC uses Cherub Rock as this "seed." So it will be easier to just cough up the $3 and buy that.
(note: This is the "package id" in the song. If you wish you can change the package ID to something else using the song editor toolkit if you own a different DLC to use as the seed)
* Download custom songs (I attached Metallica's One and Enter Sandman -edit- NM the forum won't let me attach a 12MB file) from the forum linked above into the "dlc" folder (same directory as above with with \dlc on the end)
* Boot up Rocksmith and enjoy!

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
So people are taking songs and making them into rocksmith capable songs that they can share with other people?

Tenks

Basically you download this song editor program and you just translate tabs into the Rocksmith song and put the track behind it. But for the most part yes.

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Thats pretty awesome. Got a bass guitar for Christmas and have been wearing my fingers out with Rocksmith.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
How big did the library of songs get for the previous rocksmith? Were there like 100 player-made songs out there or more like 10,000?

Tenks

How big did the library of songs get for the previous rocksmith? Were there like 100 player-made songs out there or more like 10,000?
Right now on Smithy's Anvil there are 60 pages (20 pp or so) for RS1 and 19 pages for RS2014. But the toolkit for RS2014 is fairly new. To get CDLC work for RS1 I'm not sure.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
This is really cool, I love Rocksmith. Gonna grab a pc copy later and check this out.

Thanks for sharing Tenks!

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Ah I see you have to register to view the songs, thanks. Is this forum the most organized place these are stored?

spronk

FPS noob
you can just be lazy and wait for the pirates to put up massive packages, i downloaded a 500 song 3 gig compilation from piratebay last night compiled from that forum

the russians also released a hack that let you use rocksmith with a guitar plugged into line in, so all you need is a guitar to 3.5mm jack cable (buyable at any guitar store) but apparently you get weird noises sometimes with it

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Has anyone transcribed anything pretty advanced, for instance Yngwie Malmsteen or someone else comparable? I don't own it, but I'm curious.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
you can just be lazy and wait for the pirates to put up massive packages, i downloaded a 500 song 3 gig compilation from piratebay last night compiled from that forum

the russians also released a hack that let you use rocksmith with a guitar plugged into line in, so all you need is a guitar to 3.5mm jack cable (buyable at any guitar store) but apparently you get weird noises sometimes with it
Thanks.

Yeah I used that hack to play the first iteration of rocksmith. My wife liked it but I think she got bored of the songs in it (And got frustrated easily by new techniques)

Tenks

WTF to that guy indeed.. shouldn't have tried lol.

Can you slow down tracks at all?
Cliffs of Dover is also official DLC. As is Satch Boogie which is on the RS2014 disk.

I don't know if all CDLC supports slowing tracks down or if you get it for free in Rocksmith so they all support it. But they have this "riff repeater" thing where you can set the difficulty level (MOSTCDLC does not support difficulty levels it is almost always just the tabs with no scaling) and the speed for a given segment.

Tenks

I should also note I highly, highly doubt Ubisoft enjoys people doing this. So I'm turning off automatic updates for RS2014 on steam and will just download patches manually once I verify they don't brick CDLC. Although I guess they could enforce the patch via uplay.

xasiklas

Lord Nagafen Raider
Rocksmith 2012 was the reason i picked up the guitar after almost 15 years. Sunk 363 hours into it until RS 2014 came out.
The developers were definately aware that customs were being made for the original, and blamed the way steam handles DLC for it. This is why it took a while longer for RS2014 customs to be released and that was possible with a custom dll. I'm sure at least 50% of people buying the game, do it because it's possible to play customs.

rrr_img_54766.jpg

Knytestorme_sl

shitlord
This has been out for ages, there are posts about it on the RS steam forums and some of the most linked-to-the-dev community members post about customs all the time (SFenton, Toymachine etc) and Toymachine has told me there is no risk of getting banned for using customs with Steam RS/2014. I just make sure to take out any customs I have when they become official DLC and buy them.

It's easy to do and damn useful when you get good charts.

bixxby

Molten Core Raider

Did you use that with the purchased version or pirated version?

Dioblaire

And now my Watch has ended...
<Donor>
Thread necro.

So, is this worth getting for someone that has next to no experience and just wants to casually learn guitar? Also, what guitar would you select for a guy on a budget?