Rogue Legacy 2

Njals

<Bronze Donator>
Rogue Legacy 2 just entered early access. If you have the first one in your Steam account you can get it for 20% off ($15.99) through 8/25. If you never played the first one it's a rogue like 2d action platformer but certain items you get carry over for all future runs and you can buy permanent upgrades to your HP/STR/DEF with the gold you earned in the past run. Each time you start your character has random genetic traits like dwarfism or near sighted which affects things like your hit box or how much you see in a room. So far seems it is a if it ain't broke don't fix it sequel. Animations are a lot smoother and some new platforming elements are there. It also appears to be very early access as there is only one boss and lots of "in a future patch" options on the upgrade path.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Metalhead

Blackwing Lair Raider
Liked the first one. I'll pick this one up when it gets a little further along though.

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
Well, lol, it's done. Bought it and have been enjoying it greatly. Reviews are excellent as well. Recommend.

Even better than that...this game was 100% playable throughout the *entirety* of early access. It was actually pretty fucking incredible to see. The devs are pretty great, and managed to deliver a playable product for almost 2 years, while working on it. They implemented the NG+ mode pretty early on, so if you beat whatever they had finished, you could just ratchet up the difficulty and do it again.

Also, no release wipe, which is awesome too. 10/10, great roguelite platformer. Scratches a lot of itches, it's a very enjoyable grind.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Never played the first one. This game is really good.

Mist Mist you should play this, I know you like dead cells, this game scratches that itch and is more addicting imo. The unlocks part of it is great.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Gold scaling past NG+4 or so is pretty terrible and that is even with focusing on upgrades to Gold Gain.

Also, I'm 100% out on how terrible the random character generation is for farming. There is not nearly enough stacking of traits for better Gold Gain.

That being said, the depth of 2 over 1 is apparent and I still love the game. Currently on NG+7 with all the Primal Estuaries down and working on the rest.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I didn't like this anywhere near as much as Dead Cells.

• 1Like

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
I didn't like it near as much as the 1st one.

I'm surprised they fucked up the scaling so badly for gold farming. Removing the class that saw all treasure chests in favor of making it a random trait was also a shit change for farming.

• 1Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I'm surprised they fucked up the scaling so badly for gold farming. Removing the class that saw all treasure chests in favor of making it a random trait was also a shit change for farming.

I just reinstalled it since it has been probably a year since I last gave it a shot. The most immediate off putting thing was the collision damage, or maybe just damage in general. Maybe my save wasn’t in the Steam cloud or a patch wiped everything, but I had no unlocks. There’s so much crap going on constantly losing 10% of my life hitting fireballs, then dodging eight skeletons, only to have a dagger swoop at me. It is a complaint that may be fixed by just getting good. But pretty much just closed it down. It wasn’t fun. Maybe my memory of the 1st one was just way off. Oh well, could go back and try it more but not a huge priority. I prefer Metroidvania anyways.

• 1Solidarity

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I just reinstalled it since it has been probably a year since I last gave it a shot. The most immediate off putting thing was the collision damage, or maybe just damage in general. Maybe my save wasn’t in the Steam cloud or a patch wiped everything, but I had no unlocks. There’s so much crap going on constantly losing 10% of my life hitting fireballs, then dodging eight skeletons, only to have a dagger swoop at me. It is a complaint that may be fixed by just getting good. But pretty much just closed it down. It wasn’t fun. Maybe my memory of the 1st one was just way off. Oh well, could go back and try it more but not a huge priority. I prefer Metroidvania anyways.
There is one class that doesn’t have that collision damage. There may be a trait for it too but I haven’t seen it yet if it exists.

Hearing people liked the first one better makes me want to try it.

• 1Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
There is one class that doesn’t have that collision damage. There may be a trait for it too but I haven’t seen it yet if it exists.

Hearing people liked the first one better makes me want to try it.

Put more time in this because I like you. It actually got fun, just took longer than expected and trudging through the beginning sucked. But after a few upgrades things went more smoothly and progression actually started for me. So, yeah, perhaps I judged a little too early. It is fun. Probably stick with it until finishing the main part and see what the rest looks like. Thanks for making me reinstall.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Volto!

Lord Nagafen Raider
Intrinsic Intrinsic you can also adjust the house rules in the options menu and disable enemy collision. I don’t believe it affects achievements.

• 2Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Intrinsic Intrinsic you can also adjust the house rules in the options menu and disable enemy collision. I don’t believe it affects achievements.

Oh, I really never even looked in to the house rules stuff. In retrospect glad that I didn't b/c it was a good lesson in mechanics and learning how to maneuver around. With upgrades it is more of a nuisance and feels in line with how it should have been to start. But good to know, thanks!

• 1Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
How it started:

I didn't like it near as much as the 1st one.

How it's going:

1660092869085.png

I don't believe the play time. Lots of instances of leaving it up over night or throughout the day as I'm working and doing conference calls.

Anyways, yeah, I either ended up really liking it or OCD kicked in.

Attachments

• 1660092808898.png
    1660092808898.png
    131.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 1Worf
  • 1Like