Roguelikes - which did you play?

I grew up playing hardcore roguelikes. Somehow my bro had a copy of umoria on his shitty laptop and we used to play for hours together. Never even got close to winning.

Since then I've played the hell out of:

ANGBAND
DUNGEON CRAWL
SIL
PIXEL DUNGEON
CARDINAL QUEST 2

Are there any great roguelikes ive missed out on? I rarely manage to beat the game, but learning these worlds has been one of my favorite experiences gaming to date.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Enter the Gungeon
Crypt of the Necrodancer
Rogue Legacy
FLT (Faster than light)
Binding of Isaac
Risk of Rain

And I suppose Darkest Dungeon is one too. List over is in no particular order, but if it was, Darkest Dungeon would be on the top.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Dungeons of Dredmor is probably the best actual rogue-like game on the market; at least in the sense its most like the old games. It's pretty solid, but inventory management is kind of a pain in the dick and gets pretty tedious.

FTL is very, very good but is only really "rogue-like" in the sense it's one and done runs and procedural generation. The actual gameplay itself is more of an RTS in a lot of ways than anything else.

Rogue Legacy is kind of like Castlevania if it had permadeath and an unlock system. It's not bad, but holy hell is it ever grindy.

Enter the Gungeon is goddamn amazing in terms of gameplay, but it doesn't really have the longevity for me. The item pool is almost entirely guns, of which lots are not very good, and with the way ammo works you wind up usually wanting to play the first half of a run using your default weapon as much as possible just to conserve ammo. It puts you in a strange situation where you just found a really cool new gun, but you don't actually want to to use it for fear of running out of ammo too quickly and never finding a refill and then being stuck unable to progress on later floors.

Isaac is obviously great, even if I don't really love the direction they went with Afterbirth. Too much time spent making new, and often pointless/useless items, no real effort put in to balancing any existing items, and the new "challenging" boss fights are just bullshit gimmicks. Making your item build not do anything for a fight != difficulty, it's just stupid and counter to the entire points of the game.

Dungeon of the Endless doesn't really get mentioned often, but I personally really like it. The room control/activation system adds a neat bit a strategery to it. It scratches all the right rogue-like itches of "can I afford to extend just one more room here?", as well as having quite a few different party members you can acquire to shake things up.

Caliane

yep. Dredmor, stone soup, and tale of Maj"eyal are the 3 I play/have played the most and recommend.

oh, also desktop dungeons.

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
Angband was always my favourite. Still remember the excitement of discovery each time I found a vault or monster pit on my level.

Played pixel dungeon a bit over the last year but I mostly hate it because I always die of starvation.

Great suggestions! I've also enjoyed Dungeons of Dredmor and rogue legacy.

Dredmor was really good but I got burned out on it around floor 9 iirc.

Recently I've been playing Crypt of the Necrodancer. Really cool, timing based take on the classic roguelike dungeon delver. It has a nice progression mechanic similar to rogue legacy. Definitely recommend!

Will check out Tales of Maje'yal when I get home from vacation =-)

Anyone here play SIL? It's the next version of ANGBAND, set in Morgoths dungeons. Very cool lore taken straight from Silmarillion and a unique combat system

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
I loved Rogue Legacy. Could not get enough of it.
Fight-Edit.gif

Risk of Rain was also a lot of fun, but because you play a super-tiny character in a huge world, the game seems to move so slowly.

Spelunky is fantastic, too. Infuriating at times (like when you start a level and the shopkeeper is killed by something completely out of your control), but soooo satisfying when you get a good run.

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
Dredmor and FTL. Both were excellent.

Also some little flash game on Kongregate that was one of their better offerings. Quite well done.

Ah I found it, 'The Enchanted Cave'.

Here's a link to all of Kong's free Rogue-Likes: Rogue-Like games on Kongregate

Looking at it that list again, I think 'Great Dungeon in the Sky' was good too.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Forgot two games

Flame in the Flood (has a great soundtrack too). Leans a bit more towards the survival side of roguelikes like Don't Starve. World changes on death, but don't think you can unlock new characters or items. More based on how long you survive, unlocking abilities as you progress. Survival simulator and not roguelike?
Good game though.

Rampage Knights

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
I was born an ADOM guy. I will die an ADOM guy. It's the best one i have ever played. Second is TOME v2 when it was Tales of Middle Earth. version 2.8 or whatever is a great artifact if you can ever find it. It has an overworld and a ton of places to go.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
As a kid, I just played generic rogue. However, I played the shit out of this, probably hundreds of hours.

gremlinz273

<Bronze Donator>
Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup is one the best. Dev's have put a lot of work into streamlining the game over previous versions. Many trunks have been reduced in levels which gets rid of a lot of grinding tedium. The game can be beaten in a few hours of brisk play which makes speed runs watchable.

I've been watching runs posted by this player: Demise AU's channel. He is highly skilled at the game with several 'greater player' achievements (All classes/All race combos beaten). He is a very good source for tips if your are tired of smashing your face on a wall just after beating Lair.