Routers & Other Networking Stuff

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
How long have you had the router? Some of the reviews on Newegg are ripping it apart for hardware issues. With everything I am reading (To be fair, on all routers) I may just go to best buy and pick it up and add a replacement plan so I do not have to deal with the manufacturer.
Only a few weeks or so. Month tops. Although hardware seems fine to me. Remember the only people who will take the time to write a review are generally those who have a problem. So take online reviews with a pretty large grain of salt.

Gnomedolf

<Silver Donator>
I use the adaptive QOS. I'm a cord cutter, so I stream HD all the time. I set video streaming at highest priority, then gaming, surfing, etc. I've had zero problems with anything. I can be streaming SlingTV and a Youtube video while opening the animated gif thread and have nary a hiccup.

Talenvor

Lord Nagafen Raider
Getting a new/better internet service provider next week (hooray for fiber) and figure it's a good time to upgrade my 8 year old linksys wifi router. Any recommendations? Want to spend less than $100. House is 2 story 2000 sq feet, so don't need huge range, I don't think. Have PS4, 2 laptops, ipad, 2 S6 phones, and a printer using the wifi. Only 3 or so of those max at a time, depending on what my wife is doing.

edit: and I don't need it to have a bunch of bells and whistles. I just want to set it up, password protect it, and forget about it.
smile.png

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
If you don't mind refurb you can get a Nighthawk for around/just over $100 if you're patient

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
If you're getting fiber, I would definitely invest in an AC router since you'd actually utilize the speeds, lol. Bite the bullet and grab the good shit.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
What scenario would you be using utilizing AC bandwidth? Heavy file traffic is about the only one I can think of. Which case, you should probably be doing that wired anyway.

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
How long have you had the router? Some of the reviews on Newegg are ripping it apart for hardware issues. With everything I am reading (To be fair, on all routers) I may just go to best buy and pick it up and add a replacement plan so I do not have to deal with the manufacturer.
I've installed at least 200-300 mikrotik routers at work and never had one fail or freeze in any way.

I managed to break one by enabling debug logging and writing everything on the flash. ~6 months later the flash was dead but the router was still working as long as you didn't try to read or write from said flash.

Also, if you want AC wifi, gigabit routing, etc, you can build one yourself by buying the motherboard + case and the wifi cards and throwing it together (about as hard as changing some ram in your pc/laptop).

Check out this little monster :RouterBoard.com : RB953GS-5HnT-RP

Talenvor

Lord Nagafen Raider
I don't really know what an AC router is, and I doubt I need to spend money on something like that if it's for more bandwidth. Playing the PS4 online, while my wife watches netflix on the laptop, is about as intensive as we get with our wifi. Something relatively cheap, but reliable with decent speed, is all I'm asking for recommendations on.
smile.png

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
That's really helpful, I "need" AC(all my computers, phones, etc are all AC capable now), and I have a 500/500 connection so my N router is actually a bottleneck sometimes if I'm downloading large files on a laptop and such. Good to know I can put together something like that as opposed to buying an Asus.
Yeah, they have routers from 35$ up to ~1000$. They all run the same software, the only limitation on what you can do is the hardware (from 400mhz,32 ram up to 36 x 1.2 ghz (yes, 36 cores) with 16gb ram).

They do have 4 level of licenses but that only covers the number of vpn / pppoe / etc accounts which you can create and you will never hit that limit in any home scenario. It goes from 1 account (free) to 200 (most consumer routers) to 500 (enterprise) to unlimited (datacenter?!).

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
That works as well if you don't need gigabit ports. Should be able to handle 100mbps routing without problems.

Siliconemelons

That works as well if you don't need gigabit ports. Should be able to handle 100mbps routing without problems.
Cool, everything is wireless...we have no real big demands for anything- just Netflix etc... rarely will I media serve something from my laptop to my ps3.... does the PS4 do better media streaming? like does it finally do FLVs etc?

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I feel like this is a good spot for this question.

Who has a good CCNA brain dump? I need to sack up and take this stupid test.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Holy shit this mikrotek boots up!, so far all plug and play, had to put my verizon router in bridge mode and call verizon for a reboot, other than that, no time loss.

Jais

Trakanon Raider
So this seemed liked the place to ask and forgive me if this is a stupid question but...

I recently bought a Roku 2, some gadget that connects my TV to the internet (I'm a bit of a Luddite). As of now all I have is a modem that my pc is hard-lined into. I prefer hard-lines as opposed to wireless. Do I need a hub, router or a switch to connect my new Roku thingy to my modem? I'm assuming a router but all the wired routers on Amazon are like 2x+ the price of wireless ones. And some of the wireless ones show ethernet ports. Halp, I'm dumb and confused.

I certainly appreciate any advice.

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm

I found a dump of Chris Bryant's stuff from a few years ago who had everything you need. I never finished up on my CCNA re-test as my employer went with full Brocade, which is what I have been working with for almost 4 years on now.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm

I just passed my CCNA on August 29th. How much of a brain dump are you looking for? There are practice tests out there now that are literally word for word questions off the exam... So you just need to memorize the questions. Some learn a lot that way, others don't, up to you? Wanna memorize test questions... then below is the best my class found (was in CCNA prep classes at community college).

Pass Cisco Certification - Free VCE Cisco Exam Questions

Choose whether you are gonna do the composite 1 test, 200-120, or the 2 part test 100-101/200-101. Read comments, will say if still valid. Quite a few that are "popular", and usually have more comments.

Edit: Sorry, forgot to mention, that site will get you the .vce files, and then you need a .vce player. I sacked up and just bought this, as all the other "Free" options weren't working out for me.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...id.aplus&hl=en