Routers & Other Networking Stuff

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Can't even open the web console with the IP it shows on the front of it.

Mac Address the app identifies differs from the Mac address my network identifies by one letter. Unable to access the router via the IP the network has for it nor the basic 192.168.1.1 as you would think.

Complete piece of shit.
I assume you tried to ssh in? I’m wondering if you need a firmware update which you should be able to ssh into. This seems very odd.

Kiki

Log Wizard
Yeah they make it fun to connect to. Who made the stupid decision to use a phone app for setup? God forbid we do it the way every network person is used to. I don't mind having the phone app as a feature, but it should not be required to setup the device.

• 1Seriously?
Reactions: 1 user

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Mac Address the app identifies differs from the Mac address my network identifies by one letter. Unable to access the router via the IP the network has for it nor the basic 192.168.1.1 as you would think.

Complete piece of shit.
Don't underestimate how much the AT&T gateway could be fucking you.

I've had mine in passthrough mode since I got AT&T fiber years ago and constantly have issues because I have to have that gateway in the middle of the connection.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm

I've had mine in passthrough mode since I got AT&T fiber years ago and constantly have issues because I have to have that gateway in the middle of the connection.
Sounds like my Xfinity router. Half my devices can’t get a signal from it even though they are connected.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>

Hrmmmmmmm… I have ATT and they installed their own modem/router. How do I set it to pass through to use my Alien router?

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Hrmmmmmmm… I have ATT and they installed their own modem/router. How do I set it to pass through to use my Alien router?
There’s settings in the ATT router, I did the same thing before dropping them.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Got it working.

I had to do the following:

1. Factory reset the Dream Router out of the box (wtf?)
2. Directly cable into the router itself to access the admin console.
3. Set it up partially from there but then for some reason the bluetooth connection from my phone worked.
4. Continue the setup and then could access internet from the router.
5. Set my ATT Uverse Gateway to passthrough mode and disable all of its Wifi/etc.

While this works I am now unable to access the ATT gateway console even with the right IP address. So if I have to do that I have to connect to it directly with ethernet to mess with it.

The software is pretty cool. My house has zero signal problems in terms of how far signal travels so I doubt I'll need an access point or anything. I have heard lots of horror stories though about wifi not even reaching the other side of an 1800 SQFT house.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Got it working.

I had to do the following:

1. Factory reset the Dream Router out of the box (wtf?)
2. Directly cable into the router itself to access the admin console.
3. Set it up partially from there but then for some reason the bluetooth connection from my phone worked.
4. Continue the setup and then could access internet from the router.
5. Set my ATT Uverse Gateway to passthrough mode and disable all of its Wifi/etc.

While this works I am now unable to access the ATT gateway console even with the right IP address. So if I have to do that I have to connect to it directly with ethernet to mess with it.

The software is pretty cool. My house has zero signal problems in terms of how far signal travels so I doubt I'll need an access point or anything. I have heard lots of horror stories though about wifi not even reaching the other side of an 1800 SQFT house.
Why are you using an ATT modem and not your own?

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Why are you using an ATT modem and not your own?
Are you fucking stupid?

You have to do some jerry rigging nonsense to get unofficial hardware to auth into their fiber network. I don't want to deal with that. I've looked into it before.

• 1Salty

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Are you fucking stupid?

You have to do some jerry rigging nonsense to get unofficial hardware to auth into their fiber network. I don't want to deal with that. I've looked into it before.
Well why don't they fix it if it's their shit?

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Are you fucking stupid?

No, I’m actually not. I wasnt aware you had fiber nor do I have AT&T. Morning off to a bad start?

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Well why don't they fix it if it's their shit?
Because AT&T wants to require you to use their gateway to access their service.

They also don't want the overhead of having to support every modem/router on the market through their tech support, so their service requirement ends at their free, mandatory acees point even if you completely bypass all of its functionality.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Can confirm. ATnT absolutely insists on you using their modem. I have Unifi in my house and had to go through a lot of bullshit just to get their installer to work with me to configure pass through so that my gateway was managing things. Once I worked that all out, its been great. With one exception. Their modems are dogshit and service degrades over time, so you need to hard reboot the fucking thing about once every two months or your bandwidth goes to shit. Back when I was still on cable GB I had a amazon bought Netgear modem that lasted for years without any issues at all. But this ATnT hunk of shit has to be restarted occasionally for some reason. Not letting me use my own modem is my biggest gripe with them.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
AT&T sounds pretty gay. Glad I don’t have that hot garbage.

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So I finally got too paranoid about my haphazard drive organization and manual backups and started trying to put together an automated 3-2-1 with a NAS. I probably should have asked for advice here first. It feels like a much deeper and more annoying rabbit hole than it really needs to be. Now it feels like every little thing is going to make all of my data spontaneously combust. Maybe this should be in the rustled thread...

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Because AT&T wants to require you to use their gateway to access their service.

They also don't want the overhead of having to support every modem/router on the market through their tech support, so their service requirement ends at their free, mandatory acees point even if you completely bypass all of its functionality.
One of the main reasons I switch, was tired of the mandatory shit modem.

Kais

<Gold Donor>
FiOS is the same way. Have to use their gateway. Put it in bypass mode and you lose alot of the features on the tv boxes - guides, info, watch-it-now catalogue, etc. I turned off the wifi and use 2 AP Pros in the house with the Ubiquiti management suite on my RPi along with PiHole for DNS filtering. I want to repurpose the RPi away from network management cause it wears out the SD card with it's logging read/writes.

Ubiquiti has a new version of the old UGS that's not quite a Dream Machine, Cloud Gateway Ultra. I'm considering it if ever comes back in stock. Anyone know anything about these?

darkmiasma

Trakanon Raider
Ubiquiti has a new version of the old UGS that's not quite a Dream Machine, Cloud Gateway Ultra. I'm considering it if ever comes back in stock. Anyone know anything about these?

Covered in this video, pretty good if you don't need anything past 1Gb internal, really nice for the price point though.