Running

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Fealorn

<Bronze Donator>
Decided to start a new post for anyone that wants to discuss running of all distances and share race experiences.

I'll start.

I have run 16 marathons including a couple Bostons and lots of half and 30km races. Next race will be the wineglass marathon and then the Niagara marathon with goal times sub 3hrs. My training is suffering due having 2 kids now so i'm finding it hard to maintain let alone improve my times. I would love some training tips to be more efficient.

Anyone else into running?

Hosix

All labs matter!
Each morning I run between 4 to 6 miles. I run early due to the shitty heat in AZ. Never did a marathon or a half. Not really my thing. But I have found a good run early will make my go smooth.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
I don't enjoy running but have done 4 marathons (only 1 a year for the past 4 years). Best time is 4:07... trying to break the 4 hour barrier but is hard :(

Now that I'm a dad I'm postponing anymore marathons in near term. A half will be my longest this year. I haven't run long distance in like 9 months though. Need to crack the whip and get back out there.

I just enjoy the challenge of the races. I can't just run for fun. It's also a great excuse to eat whatever I want. Probably why I'll never break 4 hr though.

Fealorn

<Bronze Donator>
I don't enjoy running but have done 4 marathons (only 1 a year for the past 4 years). Best time is 4:07... trying to break the 4 hour barrier but is hard :(

Now that I'm a dad I'm postponing anymore marathons in near term. A half will be my longest this year. I haven't run long distance in like 9 months though. Need to crack the whip and get back out there.

I just enjoy the challenge of the races. I can't just run for fun. It's also a great excuse to eat whatever I want. Probably why I'll never break 4 hr though.

Speaking as a dad to a 3yr old and 11month old I am not able to get out as much but I’ve managed to find the time before the kids wake up to run. The last couple years I have run 4 marathons a year, I try to run 2-3 local races a year and then travel for one that way its easier with the kids. My first away race is coming up since we had the newborn last year, its still close, a 4-5 hour drive away so I’ll only be gone for one night. I am lucky that my wife understands that I need to run /train/race to be happy and that I must always try and get faster…plus I’ve told her I can take her anywhere in the world on a trip…as long as there is a marathon…

Citz

Silver Squire

I have the same mindset as you. I don't really enjoy running but it has so many benefits that it is worth it. The challenge is the fun part. Eating whatever I want is pretty nice too.

I've ran 2 marathons so far and quite a few 20k+ trail/obstacle races with good elevation. Now, I've set my eyes on an ultra (50k, eventually 80k) as I've always preferred the mental challenge of distance over speed. Unfortunately, I'm a bit lazy so I'm not sure I'll have the will to train that much.

Next race will be the wineglass marathon and then the Niagara marathon with goal times sub 3hrs.
That's some crazy speed for a marathon! Sub 3 hours is a godly time.

Sterling

El Presidente
I have the same mindset as you. I don't really enjoy running but it has so many benefits that it is worth it. The challenge is the fun part. Eating whatever I want is pretty nice too.

I've ran 2 marathons so far and quite a few 20k+ trail/obstacle races with good elevation. Now, I've set my eyes on an ultra (50k, eventually 80k) as I've always preferred the mental challenge of distance over speed. Unfortunately, I'm a bit lazy so I'm not sure I'll have the will to train that much.

That's some crazy speed for a marathon! Sub 3 hours is a godly time.
Well, not sure I'd call it godly, but for a non competitive runner that's really strong goal/time. Always wanted to run one though.

Fealorn

<Bronze Donator>
Well, not sure I'd call it godly, but for a non competitive runner that's really strong goal/time. Always wanted to run one though.

Ya the time isn't godly, it's top 5% easy tho. To put things in perspective the winners at the big races will typically run 2:0X. An hour fucking faster, its crazy.

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
And here I am trying to run a 19:XX 5k. Did 20:12 during training but haven't had much time to get signed up for any of the local races. Only been running for 6 months or so.

Fealorn

<Bronze Donator>
And here I am trying to run a 19:XX 5k. Did 20:12 during training but haven't had much time to get signed up for any of the local races. Only been running for 6 months or so.

That's a great! Everyone starts somewhere and has different goals in terms of progression pace/distance wise. I hope you keep it up and good luck getting under 20min!

Sterling

El Presidente
Ya the time isn't godly, it's top 5% easy tho. To put things in perspective the winners at the big races will typically run 2:0X. An hour fucking faster, its crazy.
Yeah I have friends that ran in college, they were in the 2:30 range, and you'd have to shave like 45 seconds off each mile to be world class. It's insanity.

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
you guys killing me.

Been talking about my running in the weight loss thread.
I always have run. (and biked) periodic with weather. so, fall out of shape during winter, get back in starting spring, actually in shape for summer-late fall.
been doing 5-7miles/day for most of may-Aug. cut back to 5k-4miles mostly since getting near to target weight.
A lap around the block is almost exactly 3.2miles-5k.

I hadn't timed myself in years. did a number of times though this year. Slow as hell. I was a bit surprised. running 7miles/day. only doing 26-28minute 5k.
pretty sure a fat barely JV cross country way back in highschool was 21minute 5k, when I was out of shape, with 18min times end of season. And sure as hell could not run 7miles back then.
Dunno if old age, or not enough protein in the diet. I've cut back to 3-4miles/day, and started drinking protein shakes. should time myself now.

always wanted to do a marathon in highschool/college. never got around to it.
Theres a few 5k's races local. And even a triathlon, in spitting distance of my house every august. I have yet to do it. hahah.
DKH - Give it a Tri

I bike too. but same shit... I bike like 15-20 miles... on a $300 bike. everyone else in the biking thread.. $3000 bikes, doing 100miles every other day..

Fealorn

<Bronze Donator>
33km training run coming up tomorrow morning, i'm behind in my training by a week as I missed last week's long run due to family obligations. The weather has been so hot this summer I dread the long runs, i keep running out of water too early. Anyone ever run with a hydration backpack? How much does it impact your pace?

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
I like to run but I have an absolute limit of 5 ish miles before the bone on bone rubbing in my fucking knees gets too much. Fuck you football.

To be fair i started in November and my pace and tolerance has gone wayy up. The knees just make the distance my absolute limit.

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I've run with the backpack a few times, when I decide to go to the park, instead of street running at the house. its uncomfortable, but I did not notice any real change in speed, etc.
Mostly due to not wanting to leave phone/keys/wallet in the truck. But do always take water as well.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
I signed up for a local marathon, and training has been shit and amazing at the same time. I feel riding my bike near the start of the Higdon method timing (18 weeks before) and was able to jog let alone train for a month. Next I caught a cold, which (when combined with my somewhat severe asthma) threw all of my training ideas out. I'm finally feeling better and did my first half this last weekend (unsupported, and part of it on sand/dirt trails instead of straight pavement).

I've got my shoes settles on, but I'd really love some recommendations for running shorts/shirts/socks. I started getting blisters on the tips of my toes, and I'm assuming it's because I fucked up tying my shoes and/or my socks sucked.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
I don't have much to add, but fuck it:

Can't say I have ever actually done a 5k, half-marathon or event officially... But with using running as a form of general cardio to go along with other things I almost hit the 19:XX mark. Believe the best I ever timed myself was at 20:24. Sadly doing physical therapy for a fractured L4 vertebrae which has caused numerous additional issues as I have gotten a little older. I miss running man, I miss it.

Always ran in some form of Nike Free's or Shox (I know, I should kill myself). Was able to miraculously find a pair of Brooks Launch 2's in size 14, so I am pretty excited about getting to try those out once I get cleared.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Amycus

Lord Nagafen Raider
I run 40 miles a week, as a base. I run mostly local races, 5k, 10k, 10 milers, and half marathons. Only started about 2.5 years ago, as a means to lose weight, and got fucking obsessed. Haven't taken the time to train hard enough for a respectable pace in a marathon, so haven't bothered running one, yet. I'm not super fast, but my half PR is 1hr 29m which I'm pretty pleased with.

Fealorn

<Bronze Donator>
That's a good half time and since you haven't been running for that long you can bring that down even further.

So I ran 32km training run on Saturday morning. Left at 6:30 am and it was still stupid hot and really humid, the worst humidity i've ever run in. I had to stop and fill up on water 3 times and when I got home I was just dripping everywhere, I left foot prints everywhere I walked. My wife was not impressed.

Training as usual this week but will run 34km on Saturday as I build to my long run peak of 38km before I start to taper.

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
What Equipment are you guys using ? I really need something that will make it easier on my knees.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
What Equipment are you guys using ? I really need something that will make it easier on my knees.
I just got some shoes, specifically a pair of Saucony Triumph ISO 2. Squishy and pretty easy running.