Sailing on the Seas of Fate - Plague Ships of Nurgle

Maximis Velocity

Professional Lurker
<Silver Donator>
The Alaskan Cruise on Princess was fun. I spoke to several other folks who were in Alaska on other ships and everyone agreed that "Cruising" has gone way downhill since Covid. Might be smaller crews due to hiring issues causing poor service. Lower quality food being used to increase margins was another guess.

It was our first cruise and I intend to try again with another line to different destinations to compare.

I did have a bone to pick with my parents when we got back. The Park Ranger in Glacier Bay introduced us to the National Park Passport book. I was pissed my parents never got one because as a kid we camped all over the country.

013_Sean_Neilson.jpg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
Wife and I are doing a 9-night New England/Canada cruise for our 30th anniversary. We were looking at Caribbean itineraries and were not finding anything we liked so I started widening the search - this is on one of the ships we prefer, is 2 more nights and was less expensive, so we’re giving it a go.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Prodigal

<Bronze Donator>
Sailing today celebrating 30 years of marriage - starting off with an Old Fahioned.

F05E1DE8-EBD1-4D48-B4B9-FBAA49842CBC.jpeg

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
My wife wants us to celebrate our 5th wedding anniversary with a cruise around the Western Mediterranean (Spain/Italy/France/Tunisia/Morocco).

Why the fuck is this thread called "Plague Ships of Nurgle"? I'm not aware of this aspect of cruise ships other than the covid plague ships. Is this actually a thing?

Prodigal

<Bronze Donator>
My wife wants us to celebrate our 5th wedding anniversary with a cruise around the Western Mediterranean (Spain/Italy/France/Tunisia/Morocco).

Why the fuck is this thread called "Plague Ships of Nurgle"? I'm not aware of this aspect of cruise ships other than the covid plague ships. Is this actually a thing?

Back before Covid there were a couple well reported (I.e. demagoguery) outbreaks of rhinovirus and the typical interviews with people talking about vomit in the hallways… so on and so forth.

We’re on our sixth cruise and have not experienced said occurrences. I’ve heard nothing but good things about Mediterranean cruises, but have not done one myself. Top of my cruise bucket list is a circumnavigation of Australia - probably be retired for that one.

• 1Like

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
My buddy just did the Mediterranean cruise and said it was fantastic. His first cruise was a Carnival cruise a couple months before that, and he wasnt impressed by that. But definitely recommended the Mediterranean.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>

Because this is FOH.

Also this thread began after Covid so there was quite the fun to be made of those who got quarantined on cruise ships and we're not allowed to disembark anywhere.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Back before Covid there were a couple well reported (I.e. demagoguery) outbreaks of rhinovirus and the typical interviews with people talking about vomit in the hallways… so on and so forth.

We’re on our sixth cruise and have not experienced said occurrences. I’ve heard nothing but good things about Mediterranean cruises, but have not done one myself. Top of my cruise bucket list is a circumnavigation of Australia - probably be retired for that one.

Not rhinovirus, but norovirus is pretty notorious on cruise ships. I’ve been on 20ish and have never had that happen, though.

Carnival was a pretty lame experience vs. RCCL, but I haven’t cruised since 2015 so not sure if things have changed since then (other than the increasing nickel and diming that goes on).

• 2Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Ah yeah, that and SD elaborated (since he did name it).
The name sort of came about as we were on a cruise in Feb of 2020 as Covid was escaping China and it was fodder for thoughts and prayers in the Covid thread.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Just pulling out of Port Everglades now on the Odyssey of the Seas. Figured we needed to get the cruise done before the 2024 election pandemic hits full steam.

• 2Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Dominican Republic kind of a shit hole. I knew it was, but had to see it first hand to confirm. Don't waste time getting off the boat if you come here. It's not a feeling of "unsafe", it's just nothing to really go see. It's not even as pretty as the Bahamas. One saving Grace is being able to buy large bottles of DR Vanilla extract for pennies. Lanx Lanx 16 ounce bottle of pure vanilla extract for $12.

20231207_071917.jpg

20231207_085228.jpg

• 1Like