Saints Row 3 Remaster

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I still think SR2 is not just the best Saints Row but also the best game in that genre by at least an order of magnitude, and SR3 was the beginning of Volition's downfall. It was a pretty good game overall, but where SR2 toed the line between gritty realism and over the top / black humor perfectly, SR3 went much further into the ridiculous side. Not as far as SR4 which was just straight up trash, but enough to be cringy at times.

That said, I had to buy this for X1X after looking at how much effort they put into the remaster. Seeing that they've only touched up the graphics and performance while leaving the actual content alone... if it helps even a little to encourage them to do the same thing to SR2, I'm down. And if SR5 retcons SR4 out of existence, I'd even be somewhat optimistic about that too.

• 1Seriously?
Reactions: 1 user

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
I still think SR2 is not just the best Saints Row but also the best game in that genre by at least an order of magnitude, and SR3 was the beginning of Volition's downfall. It was a pretty good game overall, but where SR2 toed the line between gritty realism and over the top / black humor perfectly, SR3 went much further into the ridiculous side. Not as far as SR4 which was just straight up trash, but enough to be cringy at times.

That said, I had to buy this for X1X after looking at how much effort they put into the remaster. Seeing that they've only touched up the graphics and performance while leaving the actual content alone... if it helps even a little to encourage them to do the same thing to SR2, I'm down. And if SR5 retcons SR4 out of existence, I'd even be somewhat optimistic about that too.

SR2 wasn't bad but definitely did not age well at all and I still think they did better with SR3 only because they embraced going silly instead of trying to go toe to toe with GTA with seriousness. It would definitely need a remaster if I were to revisit it personally. Just too buggy and didn't play very well, but definitely had some good moments for sure.

• 1Faggotry

Vorph

Performance wise, SR2 was an abomination for sure. The best version was on PS3, and even that was pretty awful. PC was complete shit even if you used the mod to make it functional on Win 7+, and to make it halfway decent you needed a SSD which at the time were still something like $4-5 per GB. Despite all that I still played through it twice on PC (second time after finally getting a SSD) and again on PS3.

I guess it's just a different style of humor. I found stuff like the SR2 septic truck missions hilarious (mostly due to Garrus' VA whose name I forget doing the voice over during it) while most of the humor in SR3 I thought fell flat. They took the corporate sell-out thing and beat that horse to a pulp. It did have some good stuff though, the sex club mission in particular.

• 1Like

Vorph

Something's really off with the HDR implementation on X1X. Just to get it what I'd call tolerable, I have to set brightness to 100, HDR nits to 2500, UI nits at 250, and keep my TV on its brightest mode with color temp set to warm (normally it's set to second darkest because the room has blackout curtains). Even with those settings I'm basically just shooting at whatever turns my crosshair red indoors or at night, and the main character looks like a blob of crushed blacks anytime other than the brightest sunny day... except for skin, which glows like Casper the friendly ghost if you use any skin tone lighter than caucasian 2.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Big Phoenix Big Phoenix Tattoos! Your fave

tatz.jpg