Salt and Sanctuary (2d Dark Soulsesque) - PS4/Vita/PC

Tauntworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Didn't see a thread on this, but looks solid and interesting. PS4/Vita timed exclusive. Supposedly coming to PC via Steam months later. Though it's a platformer, doesn't look like it's going to be uber difficult like many of the recent platformers we've seen of late. Looks like there is more emphasis put on combat/ambiance.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Been playing this most of the day on / off and really enjoying it. Will wait until later to post more stuff but so far worth the $18.

Oberstein

Molten Core Raider
I dont post often (ever), but I wanted to add my 2cp to bump the tread because I'm in love with this game. I'm 4 hours into this and find it a perfect blend of metroidvania and a souls game. If you are a souls fan its a must buy. There's a heavy focus on timing attacks and learning patterns, very tight controls, tons of armor / weapons with upgrading, parry mechanic, stat scaling, magic, consumables, etc. Pretty much all the "souls" type mechanics but in a 2d side scroller. Combat is very satisfying. I love the nice wet crack and blood spray when you catch a skull with the end of your morning star. There are lots of different weapon types with different ranges and movesets. Also has a decent variety of "classes" with different talent trees to go down, daggers, katana, swords, greatswords, maces, hammers, magic, guns, bows, etc. 9/10 for me so far.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
It is absolutely worth it considering the price.

Ditto the above on movesets. Every weapon I have tried so far (not far into the game at all) have had different combos and move sets. You can also parry and initiate combos from that.

Started with a mage, though it works like any Souls game where you can start a class to get the base skills and decide to go in a completely different direction.

However....

Obliterated!

You have lost salt forever....

I lose far more souls/salt in this than in a regular Souls game. Black knights are back in full force. You really do need to stop playing it like a platformer and consider it a souls game and take it slow.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
It is really awesome, having a hard time putting it down. Up to Kraeken Wyrm and it is pushing my shit in. Been almost exclusively pole arm + shield + extended reach charm.

DoctorSpooge_sl

shitlord
Bought this just now, but holding off until I at the very least beat Scholar of the First Sin. I say at the very least because I'm not sure I wanna spend too much time on the DLC with this in queue and Dark Souls 3 next month.

Regardless, the quality if not the quantity of hype here has me excited to give it a go.

Needless

Toe Sucker
I suck ass at this game. DaS/DeS/Bloodborne are pretty god damn easy for me but being a 2D platformer style game just annihilates me lol

It's a lot of fun though!

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Keep going! Need more Rerolled bros playing and talking. Just had my first crash though. Didn't corrupt my save or anything except that my playtime went from like 15 hrs to 45 hrs, not sure what's up with that.

Found a level 2 sword Taecuchi or something and upgraded it to +6. I'm a dervish of death. With a +fire charm and a reduced sta for melee ring I can do like 9 hit combos.

Needless

Toe Sucker
I was making the mistake of trying to 1v1 those 'black knight' dudes that are there. Parry/Riposte does a whopping 13 damage to them, after like 15 i just moved on lol

Ended up grinding like 10 levels at the beginning, which made that village a lot smoother.. 1 shot the boss there $$

DoctorSpooge_sl

shitlord
I was making the mistake of trying to 1v1 those 'black knight' dudes that are there. Parry/Riposte does a whopping 13 damage to them, after like 15 i just moved on lol

Ended up grinding like 10 levels at the beginning, which made that village a lot smoother.. 1 shot the boss there $$
Those black knights appear to be non-respawnig, btw. I killed the first one when I figured out that he could cross zone lines, so I let him follow me back into the cave and I killed him with aerial hit and runs from the platform above.

The second one I encountered was a lot easier - just abused the nearby staircase. Haven't beaten one legitimately yet, though
tongue.png

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Btw if anyone is wondering the size of the game found this map when I was looking for something else driving me crazy. It is kind of spoilery in that it has a suggested progression, but it is like the old hand drawn low detail map. So it'd be hard to use it for anything meaningful.

salt-and-sanctuary-world-map-walkthrough.jpg