Salt and Sanctuary (2d Dark Soulsesque) - PS4/Vita/PC

Tauntworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Bumping this as it just released on PC via Steam today. So those of you that don't have a PS4 have a shot now. Definitely worth the 18$

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
About 3 hours in how and it's pretty great.

Do you ever get a double jump or grapple or anything? Tons of stuff already I just plain cannot reach.

If I skip say, level 2 heavy armor, but pick up level 3, does that save me a point basically or do I still have to go back and buy level 2 for it to work?

No double jump in the game, but you do get some other abilities to get around and reach those areas you can only see for now.

You need to unlock tiered skills in order (Whips 1 before Whips 2, etc.). The game won't let you unlock them without the prerequisite, which I found disappointing.

I probably spent 20 hours on this game, very well worth the cost.

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
Its $16.19 now until May 24th. Highly recommended.

No online co-op yet, but its still a great game.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
This was on sale and I've been meaning to play it for a couple years now. I think I'm about 10-15 hours in and still really enjoying it. Its item and world design are largely copy/paste from Dark Souls 1 - which isn't at all a bad thing. The obvious difference is that it's in 2D. The bosses so far have been hit and miss, but I'm easy to please and hard to "wow", so ymmv.

So far my biggest critique would be just how obtuse the progression can be. It's a minor frustration, but the map is so big that it can be a real challenge to remember exactly where that impassable barrier was when you last saw it 5 hours ago.

All in all, I highly recommend it to anyone who thinks Dark Souls in 2D sounds awesome. You won't be disappointed.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
The first S&S was insanely good, actually went all the way through it and platinumed it. The black triangular two-handed sword (can't remember what it was called) really carries you once you get it.

Only thing I didn't like was that I missed one thing for the platinum and it happened to be right after the hardest boss in the game. So I had to play NG+ up to that point and had a doozy of a time beating that boss just to finish the plat off. Mainly just bothered me cause I could have gotten it in NG so easily and saved myself a lot of trouble. Other than that one thing that was my fault, the game was great.

Looking forward to the sequel, whenever I can get to it.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I’m in the network test and I suck. Even with jolly cooperation I died several times to the first mage boss. Either I’m forgetting how salt and sanctuary’s map was tied together or they’ve gone a different direction with the sequel. To get to the first area you take a portal, and there’s checkpoints but you can’t teleport to them from town. I’m assuming that means the “missions” are relatively small. But I did find some ladders and shortcuts so maybe I just haven’t gotten far enough in the game yet. I spent all of 20 minutes playing so that’s more likely than not.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I’m still not 100% sure I’m doing the encounter correctly, but thanks to jolly cooperation I did finally get the mage down. The demo area is relatively small but they did says it’s a small part of the first region.

I’m digging the new mechanics and skill tree. Hopefully the full release will introduce features a little more slowly.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Was there a map in the first one? I forget. I remember digging the game but getting lost or stuck or something and gave up. Didn’t make it very far, maybe 4-5 hours.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Honestly I don’t remember. I remember enjoying it enough to look up if I missed any optional bosses in NG+ but I don’t think I put more than 25-30 hours into the game.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Ok put in some serious hours testing and early heavy armor sucks, you don’t have the endurance to block and counter attack bosses and with the amount of shit the mages throw at you the more mobile you are the better.
Endurance appears to be king in this game, I had an easier time going no armor then heavy, dodged faster and further and stamina recovery was better.
I hope they balance it but as of now a speedy character seems to be the way to go. Who knows what mid to end game will bring so I may stick with heavy Scythe user.
They made ranged attacks S tier though you want to do as much damage as possible to the mages before they become boss fights and the less time you spend dodging and getting hit the better.
Huge focus on co-op and multiplayer in general so they might be tuning this stuff for a party of 2.
The whole mage thing and how they fight everything including other mages is awesome, really adds a fresh take to the souls like genre.

For those that don’t know you accept mage hunts and they point you in the general direction once found in the area they will be attacking everything near them usually killing whatever is there, you can step up and damage it until it teleports away. Repeat until boss fight, I had 1 mage at 25% health by the time it got to the boss room and I one shot it. Others I barely wounded and got my ass handed to me, this forced me to abandon the hunt to explore elsewhere and level.
Level design is top notch, lots of double backs and short cuts but so far easy enough to remember due to unique backgrounds and set pieces everywhere vs something like Hollow Knight where I got lost constantly.
I don’t like the gathering to recharge estus flask, sure some respawn points have the thing next to it to gather but many don’t and if you want to bang your head against a boss you can’t until you stock up. This goes against the freedom of what these games usually allow.
Last gripe is you have to go back to town to level up... I get the whole mage hunt thing but not being able to level at every respawb point just feels bad. I hope they change it to cant level up while on a mage hunt mission. Would keep what they going for and allow the player to save a little time.
As is you run around killing stuff and wait to find a shortcut that leads you back towards the start, return to town, run west then up some stairs, level up, run all the way back down to teleporter and go back to start of zone, use the new shortcut to continue progress.
I found myself skipping mobs and rushing through whole sections just to pick up where I left off and it feels bad, especially when you die on the return run.
Skill tree is even more crazy this time, new terms to learn etc but anyone with previous souls or salt experience can navigate it with a plan in mind. Knowing what weapons and armor will be available when will really focus your choices but until that is known just going for general improvements will be a blast to explorer.

Overall the mage hunt loop is awesome and I really looking forward to release.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users