Saltburn (2023)

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
In other words, a weak story.

The butler wasn't a lion laying on his back.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
And I just watched it and I am pretty sure he said dogs, not lions.

• 1Like

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
And if the butler was a dog I'm sure Ossoi would have said something.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>
I am angry with myself for tolerating this piece of shit.

It is everything I disdain about modern art films. Fags, nihilistic white people with no purpose for existing, noble workers on the periphery, astounding set pieces reminiscent of other great works of literature and film, and a central character with absolutely zero charisma, charm, or good looks (who somehow ensnares and enraptures all who surround him). Add to that extraordinarily long and uncomfortable takes and too many stupid false endings (as well as the least sexy sex scenes ever captured on media).

Please someone, fill out the woke scorecard on this one.

Awful. Meaningless. Expensive. Trash.

• 5Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 5 users

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>
Central character is (presumably) downtrodden working class. He's gay (or at least a closeted gay). The upper class are just wealthy. They have no ambitions or meaning to exist except to employ (essentially) white-slave butlers and gardeners. There is at least one person of color (who is also gay). I am surprised that they let the gay-ish person of color characer do cocaine in one scene. I mean that is SO RACIST! Unrequited gay love is the over-arching theme. At least until the final 5 or 10 minutes when the filmmaker tries to pull a weak M. Night Schayamalan twist (that doesn't really have any kick to it). Mostly because there are no redeeming traits to anyone in the film. The only theme that holds most of the characters together is wealth, heritage and breakfast, lunch and dinner.

The hero/anti-hero (whatever he is) is such a bland, boring, uninteresting troll that there is no way for the viewer to be vested in his character's arc/story. He looks likea short David Duchovny with really bad plastic surgery. He's supposed to be 17-19 years old and he looks about 50 with Joan Rivers' style face-work.

Woke elements:
1) All men are really gay or want to be gay
2) Wealth is evil and promotes nihilism
3) The only way to have any semblance of dignity is to be flawlessly servile to your white, wealthy overlords (even though you are allowed to passively demonstrate disdain to them)
4) Being tall and good-looking and white on the surface seems to be the "summun bonum" but it is just a foil for weaklings to scatter about you like flies to shit.
5) Everything that validated and promulgated capitalism and colonialism is, in actuality, vile and corrupt (including education and art).

I dunno - maybe it's not as woke as I actually feel it is. Or maybe my utter hatred of the film is causing me to overly focus on the themes above.

It is a BAD, worthless film that purposely conflates wealth with faggotry, nihilism and sin. Plus the main characters are way to old to be first year at Oxford.

What was good about it? Sometimes it had some beautiful cinematography reminiscent of Harry Potter or His Dark Materials/The Golden Compass. But it is a vile bit of anti-capitalist trash shined up like a 24karat turd.

By the way-- it is really anti-woke to portray gay as a sin-- I feel the need to remind the filmmaker right now. If gay is so great, it should not be unmasked by the sins of wealth., should it? It should make people happy (like its verb etymology implies).

• 1Like

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I didnt find this woke but it is shit. Who the fuck comes up with this and thinks its good. It would of been better if they just left out all the weird shit Oliver does like fucking a grave or drinking jizzy bathwater.

• 1Direct to DVD