San Diego

Vegetoee_sl

shitlord
GF and I are going to San Diego Next weekend for a short 3 day trip. What's there to do? I heard there are great speakeasies for drinking, but what about the food scene? I've seen yelp and I'm not too impressed. Anyone know of any hot spots? Also, attractions other than Sea World? I'm kind of at a loss as we don't want to do too many touristy things but things more locals would do. We could always just relax at Mission beach I suppose.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
There are quite a few good places to eat in Gas Lamp. I really enjoy Cafe 222 for their breakfast. La Jolla has some damn good food too (Cody's...also breakfast type food is amazing). Old Town isn't bad for Mexican.

USS Midway is pretty cool if you've never been on a decommissioned ship, although if you have I might skip it.
Sea Lions at La Jolla is a fun way to kill a few hours.
Balboa park has a good collection of small museums, and if you want to go to the zoo it's right there. I've still never been, but apparently the Safari Park is even better; but it's like an hour north.
Cabrillo National Monument is pretty cool. Consists of a lighthouse and views of the bay, ocean, North Island, and you can see into Mexico.
Hotel del Coronado is a fucking cool ass old hotel.

That's about all I can think of off the top of my head. The best thing is just go there and enjoy the absolutely amazing weather as much as you can. Since it's spring that's not as exciting, but just keep in mind that it's the same temp year round.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
That meat place by the Slater 50/50's guys sounds tempting. I enjoy 50/50, so I imagine at worst it'd be "good."

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
Old Town is another fairly cool place to spend an afternoon. There's also the Palomar Observatory and Julian if you want to go into the mountains instead of the beach.

Haka

N00b
Bumping this old thread, doing a similar trip to the OP but also extending our trip by staying with some friends later on. Should I be finding a place to stay near Mission Beach or more in the GasLamp district? Looking for places to stay (specifically), things to do other than the Zoo, places to eat etc.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Some of my favorite places to eat... Tacos Perla, Counterpoint, Nishiki Ramen, Luigi's Pizza, Panama 66, Tiger! Tiger!

Things to do... Ride a hot air balloon over Del Mar. Rent a kayak in La Jolla.

If you want a central hotel, look for something in Mission Valley

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
Should I be finding a place to stay near Mission Beach or more in the GasLamp district?

Hotels will be very expensive (and high class) in the downtown/Gaslamp area. I would avoid unless you really want that type of experience.

• 1Like

a_skeleton_06

<Banned>
Andaz in Gaslamp is where we usually stay on our weekend trips but yeah, depending on the finances might not be an option. I'd recommend staying down there though if you can afford it. Sure, you can take the trolley up to Mission Valley, np but downtown SD is super walkable and that's part of the charm of visiting, imo.

For food, check out basically anything in little Italy. If you have a car, drive out to SuperNatural Sandwiches – Sea 2 Sandwich . Shit is killer.

• 1Like

kudos

<Banned>
50/50 burger place is good. They have an outstanding draft selection. San Diego isn't really that fun. Every time I go I just enjoy the weather and walk around Gas Lamp or along the shore. It's a really mellow atmosphere and the women are nice to look at.

Little Italy is cool and they have some good restaurants and bars. There is a place called Mimmo's that has amazing caramelized gnocchi.

The Stone breweries are really nice and their guest taps are usually better than their own offerings. Get a few flights and try their appetizers. Their food is good.

Ballast Point brewery has great food too.

If you're willing to risk it then head to National City for some tacos or Mexican food. Don't go at night though.