Savannah

lindz

#DDs
The New Orleans thread didn't work so well (not a super suitable couples getaway) so going to try a Savannah thread! Husband and I are looking to get away for 5 days without the kids and I'm quite interested in Savannah. My biggest concern is that 5 days is a bit too long. I love the civil war stuff and the romantic southern vibe of the city so was hoping for some recommendations and advice.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Savannah is cool. I spent a week there for work and got to enjoy downtown in the evenings. I think 5 days would be too long, but 2 days could be about perfect and a great time.

The town has a lot of personality. It is one of the oldest American cities and it was spared from the destruction of the Civil War that most of the South experienced. The houses, monuments, and general architecture give you the feeling that you are in another country. They do "ghost" tours, which are pretty popular with the tourists. The walking pub tours, rather than the bus ones, are the best. Most importantly, the food there is phenomenal.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Depending on what time of year you go you could spend a few days in Savannah and then shoot over to Tybee Island for some beach time.

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
Ugh Savannah GA... my GF at the time went to the Savannah College of Art and Design. As a Guy who has lived in New England all his life I have never been to an English speaking place I experience so much culture shock in... Some of the people like the security guard at her dorm spoke a dialect/accent of English that was basically undecipherable to me. The stark race division of the city was also something I was unprepared for. She left after a semester.

However it's anAMAZINGLYgorgeous city so it might be worth a visit if you enjoy places where not much goes on but are uniquely beautiful. The ghost tours were a fun distraction and I adore old citys. but at age 19 was not enough going on to keep me interested.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
rrr_img_55387.jpg

Five days for just Savannh is probably too much. two to three days depending on how much touristing you want to do is just about right. You can however do a day at Tybee as was mentioned earlier if the time of year is right, and you can also head out to Hilton Head, SC since that is only an hour away via car as well.

The food, especially the seafood is amazing in Savannah. Places like the Crab Shack are great for atmosphere and food. While downtown Savannah has an abundance of great restaurants that range from divey great food to expensive great food. Johnny Harris was a particular favorite of mine. Their are also a couple of Paula Dean's restaurants there. Not my cup of tea but every woman I've mentioned that too has gone to them and loved it. You should also hit up Leopold's Icecream for some of the best you will probably ever have.

If you or your husband are in to history/architecture then you can spend days just doing the museums and house tours since as someone said earlier Savannah has a lot of history and most of it is intact. River street will take care of your shopping/pub/club needs if you are in to any of those things.

I lived in Savannah for five years so feel free to PM me if you want more in depth information on stuff to do in the city.