Scott Hartsman returns to Trion, takes CEO role

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
Please don't let any of those Defiance people anywhere near EQN. Thanks.

Take whoever is left after the coming layoffs and put them on the DLC, or at least on Rift's next Under the Sea expansions or w/e it's called.
No shit.

Nor ArcheAge please as I am really hoping that Harstman gets Trion back to launch Trion and not let AA launch in the shitty state they launched Defiance in.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
They moved away from San Diego probably because SOE was not going to buy them, while few companies near SF that can. For this reason they removed all the management, fired the non-essential staff and now doing a fire sale. They raised an insane amount of money from strategic investors (many telco/ISPs that did not care about profits but wanted exclusive access to a "warcraft killer" in their region) so impossible to continue with them.

The company is dead, all the titles are on life support, no new expansions unless the Defiance show turn around. Which means no expansions.
Wow also ouch. Again, hopefully the fired devs can land on their feet.

booksy_sl

shitlord
They moved away from San Diego probably because SOE was not going to buy them, while few companies near SF that can. For this reason they removed all the management, fired the non-essential staff and now doing a fire sale. They raised an insane amount of money from strategic investors (many telco/ISPs that did not care about profits but wanted exclusive access to a "warcraft killer" in their region) so impossible to continue with them.

The company is dead, all the titles are on life support, no new expansions unless the Defiance show turn around. Which means no expansions.
dude can you pick me up a cheap graphics card??? I will pay.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
No shit.

Nor ArcheAge please as I am really hoping that Harstman gets Trion back to launch Trion and not let AA launch in the shitty state they launched Defiance in.
If Mughal is right, and I've got no reason to think otherwise, ArcheAge is unlikely to happen.

booksy_sl

shitlord
maybe with some other publisher. I kinda feel bad for everyone. But its not entirely unexpected considering.

Please don't let any of those Defiance people anywhere near EQN. Thanks.

Take whoever is left after the coming layoffs and put them on the DLC, or at least on Rift's next Under the Sea expansions or w/e it's called.
Domino helped Produce defiance as well as eq2.

Now she is the senior producer for Next so good luck with that.

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
If Mughal is right, and I've got no reason to think otherwise, ArcheAge is unlikely to happen.
Worst case it won't happen with Trion , I think it's too big of a game to not get a deal with some other NA publisher at some point.

On that way of thinking though it would stand to reason to be the easiest way for Trion to get back on it's feet. They recently said they are changing little to nothing of it for the NA , basically translations only (which is good for me ) , thus just getting the translations done and having it launched reasonably stable seems to be a guaranteed cash flow for them that would be far less resource intensive than creating new content for Rift first etc or new game from scratch.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Worst case it won't happen with Trion , I think it's too big of a game to not get a deal with some other NA publisher at some point.

On that way of thinking though it would stand to reason to be the easiest way for Trion to get back on it's feet. They recently said they are changing little to nothing of it for the NA , basically translations only (which is good for me ) , thus just getting the translations done and having it launched reasonably stable seems to be a guaranteed cash flow for them that would be far less resource intensive than creating new content for Rift first etc or new game from scratch.
Seems possible. Maybe I'm wrong here.

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
Interesting , never knew Jacobs and Hartsman knew each other (below is post on Massively from Mark Jacobs about Scott's return to Trion) , but also on a side note I had completely forgot about Genie and the other online matchmaking services back in the day.

"Scott is an awesome guy and I've been privileged to know him since the early days of online gaming (GEnie). I think he is going to be a great CEO for them and I can't wait to see what he does there going forward."

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord

And people said SOE was dumb.
rolleyes.png

Pretty smart to leave your competition in a lurch or make them beg. If they do neither, just wait and pick up their pickings for cheap. That's what Turbine and others did when 38 Studios folded up. Remember that job fair they held after all the layoffs?

Bargain basement employees done cheap. Considering AA is a sandpark which will probably land F2P on launch here and directly compete with EQNext's sandparky thingamajig, it's wise for them to pretend they are in the shower when Trion calls.

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
And people said SOE was dumb.
rolleyes.png

Pretty smart to leave your competition in a lurch or make them beg. If they do neither, just wait and pick up their pickings for cheap. That's what Turbine and others did when 38 Studios folded up. Remember that job fair they held after all the layoffs?

Bargain basement employees done cheap. Considering AA is a sandpark which will probably land F2P on launch here and directly compete with EQNext's sandparky thingamajig, it's wise for them to pretend they are in the shower when Trion calls.
Or they could go full Vanguard take 2 , if Trion really hit the skids , couldn't finish AA well enough , buy it out at a song and dance price and voila ,

ArcheAge and Rift added to the all Access Pass ? I'd go ahead and just have that sub as a permanent monthly expense or hell just pay the 180 for the whole year.

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
Or they could go full Vanguard take 2 , if Trion really hit the skids , couldn't finish AA well enough , buy it out at a song and dance price and voila ,

ArcheAge and Rift added to the all Access Pass ? I'd go ahead and just have that sub as a permanent monthly expense or hell just pay the 180 for the whole year.
When you put it that way, I'd almost pray for Scott to fail. Hard. That's a lot of value there.

Sadly (or happily), I think Trion is cutting off some gangrene in order to live but honestly, people working up the "Scott the MMO Savior" angle I think are going to end up butthurt.

Trion is basically facing an all-out battle on every front:

End Of Nations: Was supposed to face a crowded RTS market, now it is supposed to be a MOBA now to compete with the already crowded MOBA market?

Defiance: A half-dead limping shooter that has to compete in the future vs The Division, Destiny, Rainbow 6 and just about every other console primary game like GTA, Saints Row, etc and any variation of dudebro game for P4 or Xbox? (show doesn't even come back until next year)

Rift: A F2P, almost 3 year old by the time the Enchantment Under the Sea expansion hits that will have a lot of future competition, almost every one boasting some kind of better innovative tech than a 'rift' right from the gate.

The bad news for Rift as the cash cow is that one mmo doesn't have to beat it. Each upcoming new mmo only has to take a small bite from it's base (and some cash shop spenders) and it's toast.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
That's a shame for Archeage, as I think that game had a lot of potential.

I'm still uneasy about Domino as Defiance any way you slice it was a train wreck for the company.

Mughal, realistically, what can Hartsman do to salvage the company or is his reappearance just a ploy to try to make Trion more sellable?

gogojira_sl

shitlord
Let's hope he isn't what Jason Rubin was to THQ, which equated to a desperation move before the inevitable happened.