Second Life 2.0

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Oh I think a part of it is the nudity for sure and the fact that twitch won't allow streaming of ANY adults only games. While SL isn't adults only, you can make it that way.

But I would also argue that the streaming of copyrighted material that doesn't belong to you in a manner that makes you money (such as twitch) could be frowned upon. I'm sure there's lots of reasons.

• 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 user

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
Oh I think a part of it is the nudity for sure and the fact that twitch won't allow streaming of ANY adults only games. While SL isn't adults only, you can make it that way.

But I would also argue that the streaming of copyrighted material that doesn't belong to you in a manner that makes you money (such as twitch) could be frowned upon. I'm sure there's lots of reasons.

The thing that makes me wonder is projectMelody (I think thats the name) on chaturbate.

Basically looks like a secondlife avatar in VR doing anime wife stuff on chaturbate.

Apparently the live models on there are salty because this anime girl is netting a TON of views EVERY night.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Since Linden sold Sansar off, can I get Amod Amod to change this thread title to just "Second Life" or "The Second Life Thread" or whatever?

So here's a good one...

There has been such an explosion of people logging onto SL due to Covid/lockdowns that Linden had to stop selling regions, which is the primary way they make money. They simply cannot handle the added capacity.

Well, this is awkward...

Due to the ongoing public health crisis, we’ve experienced an unprecedented surge in demand for new Second Life regions. While we are thrilled by the heightened interest, the increased demand has consumed our available inventory of full regions and homesteads (there are still many parcels available on existing regions, both on the mainland and from private estates).

We are committed to maintaining (and improving) the stability and performance of Second Life. So while we are very gratified that we can be of help to people in these trying times, unfortunately, our current server systems cannot accommodate unlimited growth without adversely impacting that stability and performance. This means that region inventory in Second Life will be extremely limited and may not be readily available until early fall.

WHY DID THIS HAPPEN?

As we’ve discussed previously, Second Life is in the process of migrating from our existing dedicated servers to a cloud hosting service. That migration has already moved a number of the most important services and databases, but we are not quite ready to host simulators in the cloud. We have a crack team working on that and are making lots of progress, but there are significant changes needed to make sure that we can provide the performance, stability, and security required. When that process is complete we will have a nearly unlimited region capacity, but until then we are constrained by the size of our existing server fleet.

While our migration project has been underway for some time, even our most optimistic business projections did not anticipate a surge of the magnitude we have seen in recent weeks for additional regions. While we planned for growth driven by improvements to Second Life and other factors, we didn't expect demand to be created by a global pandemic.

As a result, we are in the unfortunate position of hitting the maximum capacity of our “old” servers until the “new” cloud servers are fully operational.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user