Selling My Car - How To Make Sure I Don't Get Screwed

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Hey guys. I'm looking for a bit of advice and maybe some help as well.

I'm selling my 2001 Yukon through Craigslist for $4300 and got a response today from someone who wants to buy.

He claims to be in the military and says that he's deployed currently until Jan 20, but wants to pay for the vehicle via PayPal now and send someone to pick it up.

My question: is PayPal a secure way to manage this transaction? Is there a better way to get his money?

Also, he's military and I know people in the military can look this dude up to see if he exists. If you're willing to do this, send me a PM. I'd really appreciate it.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Do not do it via Paypal. You can get scammed several different ways

He can send you a fake PayPal email with a link that takes you to a phony PayPal page. Or he can use a hacked PayPal account and transfer the money from the hacked account to yours(which you will then lose once Paypal investigates). Or he can really put the money in your account, then complain to PayPal that the item isn't as advertised and have PayPal automatically debit your account. PayPal is rather notorious for responding to buyers? bogus complaints and giving sellers no recourse.

The classic Paypal/Craigslist scam is the whole "I'll send you the money and have someone else pick the item up"

Never, ever agree to this.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Dont accept any payment for a car unless it is cash, or a cashiers check. Pretty much anything else can be scammed (bad checks, fake money orders, etc). It's not like you're mailing an item to someone so it all has to be done electronically. Someone eventually has to come get the car, that person can have cash or a cashiers check with them. Working out the details of the payment is their problem(if theres 2 different people buying/picking up) not yours.

And if they show up with any sort of payment that is too much, and want change back, thats a huge red flag too for a scam.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
joeboo pretty much covered it. Cash or cashier check. Don't negotiate on that part.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Best thing would be to pack up your entire family to meet up with a prostitute and her paroled boyfriend in a sketchy Las Vegas neighborhood and make sure to do everything in cash without receipts. It's Rerolled tested, so really it's probably the safest option.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
For $4300 I'd only do cash. Thats not that much cash to tote around. If it was like new car price 30-40k or something, then sure.. break out checks...

When its that little money you're not dealing with the tip top of society so don't mess around. Get cash.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
For $4300 I'd only do cash. Thats not that much cash to tote around. If it was like new car price 30-40k or something, then sure.. break out checks...

When its that little money you're not dealing with the tip top of society so don't mess around. Get cash.
Certified or cashier's check basically is cash. But you're the only one who can cash it. Personally I wouldn't actually want cash in such a sale. And I think the fee for a certified check is like $5 or $10. No brainer.

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
Certified or cashier's check basically is cash. But you're the only one who can cash it. Personally I wouldn't actually want cash in such a sale. And I think the fee for a certified check is like $5 or $10. No brainer.
This. So many different scams out there, never trust someone. If it's cash too, expect him to agree on a price and then when meeting up, he will haggle you down. "Sorry bro, I could only get 4G instead of the 4300 we promised" then you pressure him and blam, the other 300 is in his back pocket..etc...etc..

Jilariz_sl

shitlord
Checks, even cashier's checks, are not foolproof.

craigslist | about scams

You can thwart would-be scammers by following these common-sense rules:

DEAL LOCALLY WITH FOLKS YOU CAN MEET IN PERSON?follow this one rule and avoid 99% of scam attempts.
NEVER WIRE FUNDS VIA WESTERN UNION, MONEYGRAM or other wire service - anyone who asks you to do so is likely a scammer.
FAKE CASHIER CHECKS & MONEY ORDERS ARE COMMON?BANKS WILL HOLD YOU RESPONSIBLE when the fake is discovered weeks later.
CRAIGSLIST IS NOT INVOLVED IN ANY TRANSACTION, and does not handle payments, provide escrow, "buyer protection" or "seller certification."
NEVER GIVE OUT FINANCIAL INFORMATION (bank account number, social security number, eBay/PayPal info, etc.).
AVOID DEALS INVOLVING SHIPPING OR ESCROW SERVICES and know that ONLY A SCAMMER WILL "GUARANTEE" YOUR TRANSACTION.
DO NOT RENT HOUSING OR PURCHASE GOODS SIGHT-UNSEEN?that amazing rental or cheap item may not exist.
DO NOT SUBMIT TO CREDIT OR BACKGROUND CHECKS until you have met the job interviewer or landlord/agent in person.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Make sure you get all their information so that if they do counterfeit a draft, you can pursue them and/or turn the info over to the police. And better yet, go to the bank with them when they get the draft.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Fuck it. Just kill them and take their money. It's the only way to really insure yourself against the scam; plus you get to keep your car.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Oh I agree on a legitimate check being just like cash, but realistic looking checks can be printed. And I'm damn sure no expert in identifying counterfeit cashiers checks.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Thanks for the feedback, bros.

I responded that I only wanted cash or a check and that I wouldn't hand over the keys until the check clears.

I mean, Craigslist is local, there's no reason people can't meet in person.

I'm going to go ahead and post on autotrader.com as well, as it seems the majority of emails I get are, "What's your rock bottom price??!!??!!", to which I respond sarcastically. It inevitably ends in another response that's riddled with bear traps like "give me your paypal" or I'll send your a "cashiers check".

All without ever requesting to see the car, haha.

Vinen

God is dead
Thanks for the feedback, bros.

I responded that I only wanted cash or a check and that I wouldn't hand over the keys until the check clears.

I mean, Craigslist is local, there's no reason people can't meet in person.

I'm going to go ahead and post on autotrader.com as well, as it seems the majority of emails I get are, "What's your rock bottom price??!!??!!", to which I respond sarcastically. It inevitably ends in another response that's riddled with bear traps like "give me your paypal" or I'll send your a "cashiers check".

All without ever requesting to see the car, haha.
Try Cargurus. Heard its a pretty good site too.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Try Cargurus. Heard its a pretty good site too.
Thanks for the suggestion. Really.

I'm kind of at a loss to my options, but luckily I'm in a position where I don't "have" to sale the car immediately.