Selling stuff - dejunkin your life

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Didn't see a thread in search devoted to this. Currently trying to sell a bunch of random shit. Furniture, fishing gear, electronics.. Some stuff that I think I'd be atleast getting low-ball offers on like a 28' Asus 4k monitor are getting 0 traction...

Used to use eBay for smaller stuff but they rape you in fees and buyer always gets benefit of the doubt so not a huge eBay fan.

Facebook used to be good but lately I just don't get barely any hits even with boosted posts.

Currently trying these as well:
Craigslist
Letgo app
Nextdoor app

What do you guys use to sell stuff on? Everything from furniture to electronics.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
When you say Facebook, do you mean a local page setup specifically for that? That's been by far the best option I've found. But I'll caveat that with we haven't done a massive "get rid of shit" in several years.

Otherwise, I'd say a fucking yard/garage sale.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Donate it to an appropriate organization.

Makers space type place would take monitors

Fishing pole just give it away?

If you have a giant amount of shit, garage sale.

iannis

Musty Nester
Since you're willing to lowball anyway and really the purpose is to just get the shit out of your house i'd find a local Salvation Army chapter, email them, give them a list and ask them if they want any of it. They'll give you a receipt if they do and you can claim it on taxes coming up. Which, functionally, is close to the same thing as selling it for some drinking money. For the stuff the SA doesn't even want... probably no one does. If you REALLY don't want to just toss it in the dumpster, go unload it on a pawn shop. Tell the guy that you want 2 dollars, and won't go any lower!

You could also check the Habitat Store for furniture and appliances in good condition. I'd leave GCF for last. I'm not sure how a charity puts up entirely new brick buildings which they own... they're on the list, just at the bottom of it for me.

Last edited:

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
When you say Facebook, do you mean a local page setup specifically for that? That's been by far the best option I've found. But I'll caveat that with we haven't done a massive "get rid of shit" in several years.

Otherwise, I'd say a fucking yard/garage sale.
Nah, marketplace

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Donate it to an appropriate organization.

Makers space type place would take monitors

Fishing pole just give it away?

If you have a giant amount of shit, garage sale.
Eh, I may give the furniture away. Need to recoup cost on the electronics and I'm not about to give 5.2k of fishing rods/reels away.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I sold a lot of stuff over the last few years. One of my nieces sells a lot of junk via ebay and facebook market. I sold it to her for a set price basically and told her anything else she can get is all hers. I had to tell her what a lot of the stuff was. Her husband helped. He's a big fisherman and a lot of my stuff was fishing stuff. Lot of shimano reels and such.

She said she came out ahead and I got rid of the stuff and made money on it. I was happy. It seemed like a lot of hassle for me to do it for a little gain in some things.

She sold my hobie pro angler and a variety of fish finders and such. She said they went pretty quick and easy. Some of my other stuff took time. If you want the money down to the nearest penny of what you can get. No help. Someone that does it often seems like it would be much easier for them.

• 1Like

Borzak

I think there are people that pick up stuff and sell it off for you, for a cut. I'm guessing it's 50% or more.

• 1Like

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I sell a lot of guitars. Pretty much all selling changed from eBay to private forums and now to reverb and Facebook. Facebook is where I've found the greatest results. Go where the product is

• 1Like

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
I'm always decluttering. Craigslist and Facebook for me. Some stuff moves so fast, and some things I end up giving to charity. My favorite thing is going through each room and seeing what I can do without.

• 1Solidarity

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
I sell a lot of guitars. Pretty much all selling changed from eBay to private forums and now to reverb and Facebook. Facebook is where I've found the greatest results. Go where the product is
Reverb, finally a new suggestion thanks.

FB marketplace used to be awesome. Was selling shit on there early last year no problem. Now it sucks. Asked my buddy who works at FB and he's noticed it too although doesn't know wtf is going on.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Sorry I don't use the marketplace, should've said that. I find the buy/sell/trade groups for guitars and post there. Then I sell nationally and ship. I'm sure there exist groups for things you're trying to sell. And reverb is just for musical instruments

• 1Like

Borzak

Yeah I sold a fair number of my firearms to someone on a forum I've been a member of for 10+ years that's not very large. A couple of them went to owners of well known firearm makers. Lots firearm sites.

Every hobby or stuff has a forum geared toward just it. Most normally have a buy/sell section. I sold two of my telescopes on Cloudy Nights Home

As mentioned my niece sold my Hobie Pro Angler kayak which wasn't cheap. I knew it would be easier for her to sell than if I took it to Austin and tried to sell, considering I bought it there from a giant Kayak seller and associated stuff, Austin Canoe and Kayak lots of used stuff floating around for sale there.

• 1Like

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
ppl use mercari now to sell stuff, it's like bullshitting on instagram but youre selling your shit, i think after a sale is done you print a ups label from them (so you don't have to bother opening an account or filling out forms) and just pack it and forget it.

• 1Like

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I am trying Mercari. So far it is mostly people offering me half what it is worth, messaging me while I'm asleep then sending me 5 more messages with ????? every 10 minutes after. Or messages that are like "You need the app for this!".

My fave are the ones that ask 30 questions, then send you an offer so low the fees would put you in the negative.