Sensorineural hearing loss

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Does anyone here have experience with sensorineural hearing loss?

A week ago I lost all the low-frequency hearing in my left ear over the space of about 15 minutes. I've seen an ENT/audiologist and they diagnosed sensorineural hearing loss (nerve malfunction as opposed to a mechanical obstruction or traumatic damage). I have a course of steroids to take that can help to restore nerve function, but the odds of recovery are a non-spectacular 60% or so.

Has anyone here gone through this? Was your hearing the same after it recovered? If it didn't, how are you managing now? I'm finding it really hard in many ways - I can't focus on one person's voice if there's music or another conversation in the background, and my toddler's voice hits some kind of resonance that's so uncomfortable I basically have to leave the room. I'm really hoping that kind of thing gets better.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
My mother in law has this. It hasn't recovered for her and has actually gotten worse though. She often gets sick out of nowhere and has to turn the TV up to unreasonable levels for certain things. It's shitty.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
I case anyone cares:

I did a week-long course of steroids, which helped a lot. Withdrawal was a motherfucker, though, massive headaches and lethargy. I have minor lingering hearing issues (<75hz) but it's not noticeable unless I'm wearing headphones and really listening for it. The official hearing test, which doesn't check frequencies that low, came back totally normal. Official prognosis is to minimize consumption of salt, alcohol, and caffeine (FML) and hopefully it never happens again.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I should've said, they told her not to eat much salt anymore as well. She basically cooks salt-free now and orders off the "diet" or "under 500 calories" menu at restaurants now.