September Book of the Month: Half a King by Joe Abercrombie

Zodiac

Lord Nagafen Raider
Finished this in two nights. As said by others, good read but his Bloody Nine books were much better. Not really much to discuss here sadly.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I found the ending kind of disappointing. All this build up of Yarvi depussifying himself just to go LOL JK right at the end. And the idea that Nothing/Uthril(or whatever) wold consider executing his nephew after everything that had happened? Felt pretty artificial to me. Other than that it was good, but I felt a bit let down.

I did like the style, maybe I will have to read his other books now.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
He spent the entire book showing you that Nothing was not just the best fighter around, but also unhinged. He spent 20 years or whatever wanting his rightful throne and he was a half-crazy master swordsman, he was absolutely prepared to kill Yarvi if needed.

Yarvi stopped being a whiner, he didn't become a macho idiot who was going to throw his life away for a throne he never really wanted anyways. He got exactly what he wanted all along, he's the adviser guy to the throne. He won. He wasn't a particularly good person(Abercrombie book), but he got everything he could have realistically hoped for.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I am sure he was prepared to do whatever he had to do, that dude had a hard life. It just seems fake when he was the entire impetus not only behind Nothing's escape, but him regaining his crown. Within moments it went from Yarvi basically winning the throne back for him and kneeling before him/acknowledging his claim to the throne to "I guess we have to kill him now because someone said words".

I'm probably making a bigger deal than it is, the whole "SURPRISE MOTHERFUCKER!" that Nothing pulled at the end felt pretty lame to me, and I really didn't like it, so when right after that they are debating Yarvi's execution after all of the shit that came before, I just couldn't buy it.

othree

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I believe this series is targeted at young adults, hence the large print. I liked it. I saw the surprise coming but still enjoyed it.