Service Providers (Internet, TV, Etc)

Magimaster

Trakanon Raider
Do you need a physical address if you get their RV model?

Not sure, thats an option too. Bit more expensive but I could try that if needed.

Does the area have good cell reception? Most cell providers have a home type service you could use while you wait for starlink, but only if the area has good service to begin with

My cell reception was decent in the area last time i was over there. I have Verizon and when I checked their website it told me the Home Service wasn't available there, but I'm guessing i could go to the store and have them check to be sure. I've also considered using my phone as a hotspot if need be till I figure things out.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
So, bumping this thread to try and get some info. I'm having a house built in a semi-rural area. Best as I can find the internet options are somewhat limited:

- CenturyLink shows as available but its $50 for only 1.5Mbps with a landline, basically option of last resort.
- X-finity looks like they are available two streets down from me, so I am thinking on going to the closest store to see if they would be able to expand to my street.
- Other option is to go satellite with Starlink. My concern is that I want to signup for the waitlist, but the house does not have a physical address yet as its still undeveloped land. Does anyone know if you can switch the address for your Starlink order, as i could signup for the waitlist at my current apt address then switch once the house has an actual address. I don't mind sitting on the waitlist as the house is still 5-6 months from being built.
You can move with the starlink I'm pretty sure. The only factor would be if your current location has a longer waiting list than where you're moving to. If your current address and the location you're moving to are the same general area I don't think it would matter. They start billing you when the dish arrives though, not when you turn it on, so you wouldn't want it just sitting in a closet for a year. There's probably a way to pause the service but when my Mom's came her lazy ass sons took a couple of months to get around to putting it up and she wound up paying for both internet providers for a while.

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Not sure, thats an option too. Bit more expensive but I could try that if needed.

My cell reception was decent in the area last time i was over there. I have Verizon and when I checked their website it told me the Home Service wasn't available there, but I'm guessing i could go to the store and have them check to be sure. I've also considered using my phone as a hotspot if need be till I figure things out.
I think Starlink has the option of putting in geo cords where your house/service will be located (you may need to use their app for this), then you use your CC billing location to set up for mailing address.

Cell phone tethering or using a cell router with a sim card in it, is a decent backup, but you will only get 4G speeds. The 5G towers don't cover enough real estate for any provider to put them up in any rural area that I have seen, so good luck ever seeing 5G in the country (I think the area needs 5G to qualify for "Home Service" packages). If you do some searches, you should be able to find coverage maps for 4G and 5G; the government even has one, but I forgot what it was called.

Could always test it a bit by putting your phone in tethering, when out on the property, then try to watch a 1080p+ video on a laptop or tablet. Maybe ping some places like steam, if you game, as I think 4G is high-ish lag/packet loss. Check your plan for data caps/tethering rules so they don't ding you.

There are still subsidies for bringing internet to rural America, so maybe ask your builder, locals at the closest gas station, or even the people at the utility companies, if they know of any new options for internet being built.