Service Providers (Internet, TV, Etc)

Arative

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Comcast just sent me a notice that we forgot to return a router we never had, even has a serial # listed. Fucking crooks.
If you don't take care of it, they'll throw you to collections and fuck your credit. That's the way Comcast rolls.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
As someone who as literally been through this exact situation with Comcast I can tell you what Arative said is true. I didn't even live at be address any longer and hadn't been a Comcast subscriber for nearly 4 months before I moved out when I get my an out of the blue collections call. Was totally pissed and refused to pay it but it stayed on my credit for 5 or 6 years till I had to pay it to buy my house. Fucking assholes.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
AT&T is the exact same way. I had a home phone line with them circa 2000-2006 or so. Canceled it. Stayed at the same apartment a few more years, then moved...yadda yadda yadda.

Last year I get a collection notice originating from AT&T saying that I owe them $40 from my old account that I never paid. WTF? First bill I had ever received. It's not like I shut of my service and then moved so they couldn't send me the final bill, I lived at the same address for 2 more years after turning off my service.

But hell, this was 8 years in the past at this point, I had no bank or billing statements to argue with them. So I just paid it. Paid AT&T mind you, NOT the collection agency.

Then I get a notice from Creditkarma.com the next day that my credit score had changed. Dropped 40 fucking points, because I now have 1 collection on my credit when I had zero previously.

Fuck AT&T

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
That seems like the kind of thing you could dispute with the credit reporting agencies.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
I had that happen after I sold a home in a hoa. I disputed it with Comcast and sent then the paperwork on the house closing and they managed to find the new owners account for the same residence and moved the bill there.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
As someone who as literally been through this exact situation with Comcast I can tell you what Arative said is true. I didn't even live at be address any longer and hadn't been a Comcast subscriber for nearly 4 months before I moved out when I get my an out of the blue collections call. Was totally pissed and refused to pay it but it stayed on my credit for 5 or 6 years till I had to pay it to buy my house. Fucking assholes.
Unless you requested Pay for Delete and that collection company complied, I don't see how this helped.

I had the same problem with some Sprint bill in collections and paying for it would do nothing to my credit, so I Just let it disappear.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Don't really care, they're intentionally churning people from Uverse and trying to get them to DirecTV, if they don't make DirecTV the appealing option they lose that customer completely. I'll make the switch myself if it makes sense.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I have a 300gb cap on my usage and for what I do, internet and Netflix, I'm usually at 1/2 or less per month, unless I use Amazon Prime. I can throttle back the quality of Netflix being streamed and can stay under 10mg average per day easily, but Amazon doesn't let you do that and one movie will put me over what I should be using.
It's ridiculous that in today's day and age we have to think "well, I can turn down my quality so I don't hit my monthly data cap - a completely arbitrary number provided by comcast"

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I don't know if you would take government regulation to get there, but if internet access isn't going to be completely unlimited, it just needs to be handled like any other untility (electric, gas). Pay for exactly what you use at a certain set, metered rate. Like 10 cents per Gigabyte or whatever. You use 500GB in a month, your bill is $50. Maybe next month your only use 200GB so your bill is only $20. Someone that goes nuts and uses 2 Terabytes per month is going to pay $200 per month.

Having arbitrary caps is just dumb. Most people won't use 300GB, some people need WAY more. If you're going to charge people more that use more, the people who use less should also pay less. It needs to all be relative.

Nobody has an electric company that only gives them a certain amount of electricity, and if you hit that mark before the month is out you get throttled down to only getting enough juice to turn on 1 light at a time in your home. That's a horrible business model, and basically what Comcast and most other companies that provide internet access are attempting to do.

Arative

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Lets continue picking the worst cities to implement Google Fiber.
Its cities that will bend over backwards to appease Google. Its why google fiber won't touch the northeast because the layers of local government that make the red tape a nightmare.

Arative

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I don't know if you would take government regulation to get there, but if internet access isn't going to be completely unlimited, it just needs to be handled like any other untility (electric, gas). Pay for exactly what you use at a certain set, metered rate. Like 10 cents per Gigabyte or whatever. You use 500GB in a month, your bill is $50. Maybe next month your only use 200GB so your bill is only $20. Someone that goes nuts and uses 2 Terabytes per month is going to pay $200 per month.

Having arbitrary caps is just dumb. Most people won't use 300GB, some people need WAY more. If you're going to charge people more that use more, the people who use less should also pay less. It needs to all be relative.

Nobody has an electric company that only gives them a certain amount of electricity, and if you hit that mark before the month is out you get throttled down to only getting enough juice to turn on 1 light at a time in your home. That's a horrible business model, and basically what Comcast and most other companies that provide internet access are attempting to do.
They are doing that to satisfy wall street.

Wall Street: Broadband is Underpriced - Slap On Caps and Usage Billing to Kill Cord-Cutting