Service Providers (Internet, TV, Etc)

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Their router isn't even that bad, I don't even use my own right now. I still get 150Mbps on a speedtest with it, so I can't complain - PS3/PS4 work well too.

At first I was going to say I don't understand why they'd even write that but I do understand - old people and computer illiterates believe that stuff.
Don't you have to pay to use their router/modem?

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
This is the one way you get to fuck comcast, even if it's just a little bit. It even make sense financially because you make back the cost of the modem in a year or less. You have no good reason not to.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
So does com cast still suck? I got rid of them back when they were traffic shaping, have fios now but they came by offering double speed for 30% less. Tempted to go back.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
So does com cast still suck? I got rid of them back when they were traffic shaping, have fios now but they came by offering double speed for 30% less. Tempted to go back.
Comcast is awful if you have any interaction with them. If your stuff just 'works' then whatever but that's never happened to me.

Also, are you sure it's 30%? Or 30%* ** *** (see terms and conditions) less?

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Avoid Comcast like the plague. Seriously. I could tell several long, drawn out stories about how many times they have screwed me and then parade in most of my friends and family to tell you their own stories. Worst of all is the amount of your time they will waste. I put a premium on my free time and Comcast has wasted hours upon hours of it.

Here is some of the shit Comcast pulls:

1. Insanely ridiculous obfuscated bills that are 10X more complicated than they need to be. The result is when they screw you it will be very difficult to tell exactly where they screwed up. And they WILL screw you. Comcast has overcharged me so many times its clear that they do it intentionally, hoping you don't notice or that you won't bother going through the process of getting it fixed.

2. Once you spend an hour determining that you have been screwed and have a general idea of how they have screwed you, they put up all kinds of walls to prevent you from remedying the situation: an endless cycle of automated options that prevent you from speaking with a person, amazingly long hold times, a host of profoundly incompetent non-English speaking employees who will not understand what you tell them and who will offer you solutions that don't apply to you, cold transfers to dead end line and departments that have nothing to do with what you need.

3. If, somehow, those roadblocks don't wear you down and you manage to get to someone who can help you, they mighttellyou they will fix your problem. Check your next bill though- there is a 50% chance it doesn't actually get fixed.

4. When you've had enough, just try and call to cancel. If you thought the normal customer service road blocks were bad, try retentions.

5. Once you cancel, be careful. If you are on automated payment, they will continue to charge you (happened to both me and room mate). If you aren't on auto bill, they will charge you for unreturned equipment. This last time I got a bill for $500 for unreturned shit- despite the fact that I had a receipt from the store and a fucking LETTER i made the comcast lady sign because I had a feeling they would try and screw me.

6. Months later they still hadn't fixed the screw up- which they advised was caused because they changed their operating system- and I was sent to collections--- again, despite the fact that I had multiple items of hard evidence proving I returned their shitty stuff.

I could go on, but screw it. I will never EVER sign up for comcast again. I've experienced shitty customer service in my life, but those guys are pure fucking evil.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
They still throttle traffic. Try downloading off the seedbox via ftp and you'll get 700k/sec. Activate the VPN and you see 8megs/sec.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Comcast is awful if you have any interaction with them. If your stuff just 'works' then whatever but that's never happened to me.

Also, are you sure it's 30%? Or 30%* ** *** (see terms and conditions) less?
Yeah it's actually 30%. fios is expensive as fuck. But yeah if they are still throttling then they can get fucked.

I wonder how they can still be getting away with this after the FCC rules.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
I've never had problems with Comcast service. If you are just getting internet you shouldn't really run into complicated bills since there is just one line item.

Company as a whole is still one step short of nazi Germany though

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
No specific love for any of these thieves but let me just say. We got our Xfinity X1 stuff today. Took like 2 minutes to install and activate. And the shit is nice. Coming from the 1990s DVR software that has been in place for 20 years this stuff is awesome. And actually much nicer than what I've used on FioS and Uverse. We'll see how it lasts but so far it's awesome.

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Is there a reason Uverse interest is so much more expensive and slower than Time Warner Cable?

Gnomedolf

<Silver Donator>
AT&T has stopped making U-verse set top boxes. Their plan is to push everyone to DirecTV and mobile broadband and then eventually kill off U-verse entirely.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Yep. The day they bought DirectTV they stopped offering their 35 mb uverse where I live, and now they only offer 3mb.

Thanks FCC, what ISPs needed was less competition

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
No specific love for any of these thieves but let me just say. We got our Xfinity X1 stuff today. Took like 2 minutes to install and activate. And the shit is nice. Coming from the 1990s DVR software that has been in place for 20 years this stuff is awesome. And actually much nicer than what I've used on FioS and Uverse. We'll see how it lasts but so far it's awesome.
X1 is buggy as hell. A lot of times our menus get stuck in some weird state where you have to pwoer the box. But of course, we're recording shows so we can't power it.. so we just have to sit.. and wait.. and not watch anything.

Also the menus are SLOW. Not as slow as FIOS, but just bordering above that.

The internet has been top notch for us though.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Really? Wonder if after time ours will start to slow. Everything responds instantly and no problems with recording multiple shows. Will keep a look out though.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Probably something incredibly stupid and simple(and way too common). Like your viewing history is permanently cached, thus once it gets to a certain size/age, it is guaranteed to cause page or even hard faults.