Service Providers (Internet, TV, Etc)

Remit_sl

shitlord
I just find it interesting
smile.png

EDIT: and yes, 20Mbps will chug if you have utorrent uploading the shit out of your connection in the background

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
It chugs without it. As I said, I've had 20mb before with 3 kids, a wife and myself using it, it strained to keep up and sometimes couldn't. I'll not go that route again.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Why are you defensive about my hypothetical situation? Why go that route at all when for $65 I can have GB speeds with no cap anyway?

And I know first hand that with 5 people on the internet, 20GB chugs to keep up and I'd rather just not deal with it.
The real question is, why in the world would you have ever switched away from gigabit service with no cap for $65 per month? That's a ridiculously good deal that basically no cable company can even hope to compare with.

Around here, both Time Warner and Comcast charge ~$70 a month for 100mbit service.(and until Google Fiber recently showed up, they charged that for 25mbit service)

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
So would you trade services, and pay the same monthly amount, for 20Mbps w/o a cap?
Yes since 15 is max speed where I am now. I think 20 is plenty as long as the speed is decently consistent personally.

Remit_sl

shitlord
Yes since 15 is max speed where I am now. I think 20 is plenty as long as the speed is decently consistent personally.
Yeah I guess that's another factor, we don't know if Tarrant's old 20mbps was solid and consistent. Providers around here advertise 10mbps but it is actually 3mbps sustained, with a 20second bucket burst to 10mbps. Fucking bullshit that providers can advertise like that, no matter what the speeds. Barring equipment failures, advertised speeds should be deliverable speeds at peak hours. I try to inform customers but they don't understand how a bucket window works or how to see sustained throughput

Edit: I'd love to be proved wrong on the advertised speeds thing too so link any cases if you have them. The best I could come up with was FCC fining ATT for throttling people past certain usage point on their "unlimited" plans

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Well I know I often have speed issues in the evening's. Was streaming a movie on Amazon with the girl a few months back and the on-screen speed was like 3mbps at 11pm. I tried resetting and all that crap and finally called them because it was consistently dropping below 1. Finally got the tech department and they said yep this is normal they throttle the network when the traffic is heavy and it takes 3-6 hours for it to come back up.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
The real question is, why in the world would you have ever switched away from gigabit service with no cap for $65 per month? That's a ridiculously good deal that basically no cable company can even hope to compare with.

Around here, both Time Warner and Comcast charge ~$70 a month for 100mbit service.(and until Google Fiber recently showed up, they charged that for 25mbit service)
Because I'm cheap.
tongue.png

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
I have AT&T Uverse DSL and paying $57 a month for minimum 18MB/sec bandwidth. However every MMO I have played recently (SWTOR, TESO, FF14, GW2) the max download speed when patching is 2.7 MB speed. I called ATT tech support and they directed me to a speed test website that says my download speed is 20-22 MB/sec. I have talked to guildies with Uverse and they are getting 18 MB/sec +. I am at wits end trying to figure out why I appear to be capped at 2.7 MB when patching MMOs.

Anyone have a suggestion on how I can troubleshoot this? I have tried disabling my AVG firewall when patching but it has no discernible effect.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I have AT&T Uverse DSL and paying $57 a month for minimum 18MB/sec bandwidth. However every MMO I have played recently (SWTOR, TESO, FF14, GW2) the max download speed when patching is 2.7 MB speed. I called ATT tech support and they directed me to a speed test website that says my download speed is 20-22 MB/sec. I have talked to guildies with Uverse and they are getting 18 MB/sec +. I am at wits end trying to figure out why I appear to be capped at 2.7 MB when patching MMOs.

Anyone have a suggestion on how I can troubleshoot this? I have tried disabling my AVG firewall when patching but it has no discernible effect.

Thanks in advance for any tips.
Probably because your ISP is selling you 18Mb/s, while your downloads are measured in MB/s.

Math is 8 bits (little b) per byte (big B).

18Mb/8 = 2.25MB

You probably have a little overhead bandwidth giving you that 2.7MB real time.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Btw, this is normal for each and every ISP. They sell you by Mb, downloads are measured in MB.

My 100Mb fiber line will max my uTorrent downloads at around 13MB downloads. (I actually connect at around 107Mb due to some nice overhead)

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
Probably because your ISP is selling you 18Mb/s, while your downloads are measured in MB/s.

Math is 8 bits (little b) per byte (big B).

18Mb/8 = 2.25MB

You probably have a little overhead bandwidth giving you that 2.7MB real time.
Damn you're probably correct. Just went to the ATT website and its displayed as 18Mbps. Never occured to me that was bits and not bytes.

Thanks

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Still can't be too upset with Cox. I pay like $70 with taxes and everything for 150Mbps. Though I did notice their web portal now has cap info, but says it's just a 'guide' for now. I have gotten near it a few times because I tend to just delete steam games and DL new ones to play for a bit so I go through 15-20gigs a day on the weekends easy just doing that shit. It will probably suck if they go live but it seems like all the plans have the same 'guidance' on caps so that'll probably change for the higher tiers anyway.

Worse comes to worse I'll upgrade my SSD RAID 0. Performance is still obscene but it's only 250 GB so... meh. Yay black friday.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I think it's ridiculous to request someone lower their streaming quality so that they don't hit a cap. That would be like if you watched 50 HD television shows and then Comcast said they need to throttle your quality. God I may have just given them an idea.

lurker

Vyemm Raider
I think it's ridiculous to request someone lower their streaming quality so that they don't hit a cap. That would be like if you watched 50 HD television shows and then Comcast said they need to throttle your quality. God I may have just given them an idea.
I agree, but that's the reality for me. So therefore, I think its ridiculous for Amazon Prime to not offer the option to lower their streaming quality. Maybe I'm old and blind, but medium quality from Netflix looks the same as Amazon's 'only' quality, but 2 hours of Amazon puts me over the 10gigs/day I should be using. I have a 300gig cap.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Still can't be too upset with Cox. I pay like $70 with taxes and everything for 150Mbps. Though I did notice their web portal now has cap info, but says it's just a 'guide' for now. I have gotten near it a few times because I tend to just delete steam games and DL new ones to play for a bit so I go through 15-20gigs a day on the weekends easy just doing that shit. It will probably suck if they go live but it seems like all the plans have the same 'guidance' on caps so that'll probably change for the higher tiers anyway.

Worse comes to worse I'll upgrade my SSD RAID 0. Performance is still obscene but it's only 250 GB so... meh. Yay black friday.
The caps all just went through the roof though so it's gonna be very hard to hit them on the ultimate Internet package that you are on.

Your cap has and data meter on the website have been there for years but your cap was just raised from 450gb to 2000gb. At least in the Phoenix area this was the case as they are rolling out their gig Internet.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
what is the best way to get companies to lower your monthly bill? just online chat and threaten to switch to a competitor? I am starting to get sick of $150 a month for the second to worst internet and the no movie channel cable package from ATT...

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Yep, you have to call up with the intention of canceling your service, and actually be prepared to do so and switch if they balk.

It's a ridiculous, horribly customer-unfriendly process. You basically have to call up and be combative and try to force your will on some poor $8 an hour call center rep. It sucks.