Shōgun

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
This was ok, good but nothing special so far.

Reminds me of last samurai mixed with Vikings, because of dumb priests running around everywhere.

Last edited:
  • 2Garbage
Reactions: 1 users

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Sengoku period is one of my favorite in any nation's history. I get massive "girl power" vibes from the trailers. Is this the case, or is this actually fairly historically accurate?

• 1Like
  • 1Tiresome

joz123

Potato del Grande
Sengoku period is one of my favorite in any nation's history. I get massive "girl power" vibes from the trailers. Is this the case, or is this actually fairly historically accurate?
Watch and find out?

Classic Reaction GIF

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser

a lords daughter in law is the main translator for the fish out of water English guy who speaks Portuguese.

Second episode had a female assassin

Downhammer

Vyemm Raider
a lords daughter in law is the main translator for the fish out of water English guy who speaks Portuguese.

Second episode had a female assassin
Both of which were in the book, iirc, Mariko for sure. If anything I kind of got the opposite vibe of the Portuguese using women as their vector into the noble houses; girl power on the surface but really just pawns in the schemes of men.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
If anything I kind of got the opposite vibe of the Portuguese using women as their vector into the noble houses; girl power on the surface but really just pawns in the schemes of men.

I haven't read the book and I'm more of the type to push back against "omg this show is so woke" lunatics so I didn't really give the answer much thought. It did feel like she was being elevated in the Toranaga court over her husband who was son of the older Toranaga second in command I think? You'd probably get some FOH lunatic complaining that he was being cucked because "grrrl power"

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
I might watch The Last Samurai tonight or play First Samurai

actually there's a "soccer" match on 8pm so maybe I'll watch/play them afterwards

Last edited:

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Rewatching the 1980 series for old times sake. For a tv show there is a surprisingly sharp 1080p version of it available, it looks like they spent the money to shoot it on film:

Shogun bluray set review

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
I haven't read the book and I'm more of the type to push back against "omg this show is so woke" lunatics so I didn't really give the answer much thought. It did feel like she was being elevated in the Toranaga court over her husband who was son of the older Toranaga second in command I think? You'd probably get some FOH lunatic complaining that he was being cucked because "grrrl power"

I can see how someone could think this if you haven't read the book, but Mariko is samurai herself and much smarter than her husband (who is actually a pretty interesting/dangerous dude even if he doesn't have political savvy).

One of Toranaga's best traits is his ability to recognize the tools/weapons at his disposal and know exactly how to use them to attain his goals (thus the hawking analogy). He recognizes Mariko's value and he is not one to give a fuck if his tools are male or female- he will use them all without hesitation.

I've read all of Clavell's books and Shogun is without a doubt his magnum opus- one of the best books ever written imo. So far the show is doing a great job. Hoping they don't make too many changes going forward- there is zero chance they could improve on the source material.

• 2Like

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
But do the washing women stare in awe at Blackthorn's dick when they gave him a bath just like in the book?

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Khane

Got something right about marriage
But do the washing women stare in awe at Blackthorn's dick when they gave him a bath just like in the book?

Well I know I wi... wait.. what?

You tricked me into saying that!!!

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider

Nah they skipped that part and most of the other funny male/female misunderstanding adventures early on.