Shadow Warrior - Remake

Terial

Trakanon Raider
loved this game back in the day, let's hope they keep the comedy aspect of it.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
YOU NO MESS WITH LO WANG

If they manage to somehow keep the hilarious racism and terrible humor in this I'm sold for sure.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
"Row, row, row your boat, gently down the stream, whoa, I think my dinghy hanging out."
So many classic lines right here
smile.png

Sean_sl

shitlord
YOU NO MESS WITH LO WANG

If they manage to somehow keep the hilarious racism and terrible humor in this I'm sold for sure.
Yeah, this game would have been terrible without how awesomely funny it was before. They *need* to keep that shit in and go the route of Blood Dragon with just fully embracing the time period it came from.

Cybsled

I remember there was that one anime girl you would speak with and say dirty shit to and she was 100% oblivious and would give you healthkits or ammo. The rest all shot you with Uzis and crap ;p

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Bought this game yesterday, it's fucking awesome if you ever look back at old school shooters with nostalgia. Secrets, ridiculous weapons and combos, horribly good writing, combos. The biggest surprise is how good the story actually is, even though I could do with less of it and more shooting. Great melee combat with katana.

That feeling when you scourge the whole level for secrets and the end screen tells you found 5/11...

Sean_sl

shitlord
Bought this game yesterday, it's fucking awesome if you ever look back at old school shooters with nostalgia. Secrets, ridiculous weapons and combos, horribly good writing, combos. The biggest surprise is how good the story actually is, even though I could do with less of it and more shooting. Great melee combat with katana.

That feeling when you scourge the whole level for secrets and the end screen tells you found 5/11...
So, is it still racist and sexist and adult as fuck? It might be childish, but that was the best part of the original imo.

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
If you just want to revisit the original, it is free to play on Steam for PC.

Anyone else play the new version? Need to know if it is worth putting on the radar for the Steam winter sale.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Definitely worth it when on sale and if you have been itching for an oldschool shooter, go buy it right away. I'm about halfway through and have been enjoying it a lot.

The game doesn't take itself too seriously. The guy is still named Lo Wang and lines like "Come enjoy Lo Wang's 4 hot barrels of love" are pretty much everywhere. The humor is mostly referencing oldschool shooters and cliches though. The RPG elements are really well done, it's not like you are useless without any of them, but some of the katana combos are pretty much necessary, since you can't avoid getting swarmed by the basic demons. The pacing is decent, you switch between battling hordes of monsters coming out of everywhere and exploring the levels. Some secrets are obvious if you have ever played an oldschool shooter, but missing them doesn't seem to gimp you much, if at all. Some of the hidden areas also use build engine textures and half naked anime girls :p Level design is pretty good, while you won't see huge arenas ala Serious Sam, they all make sense and seriously remind me of Minerva, you are always moving around a larger building. Most of the areas are a bit dark imo, you won't turn off your flashlight. First boss was about the size you expect from a game like this. The only annoyance is that most of the combos or spells have a windup time that takes ages in the middle of a fight and when you do something before they are ready, it cancels the whole combo. There aren't all that many kinds of enemies, but every single one of them needs different approach so every fight feels a bit different. The amount of stuff that explodes when you shoot it would make Michael Bay's head spin. It's glorious.

If you like killing a demon, taking his heart, killing 3 of his friends with it, then hacking a demon twice your size to death with your katana and finishing the battle by using his head as laser beam, this is a game for you.

Awesome launch trailer:

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
game is full of these

I'm not going to spoil much, but when you realize you are playing Half-life, one of the places seriously reminded me of Bioshock and it's nice when the protagonist is the one being proactive against NPCs who have written "I'm going to betray you" on their face. This game is really good.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Finished it, expect 10-12 hours on normal and while I don't think I'm any slouch when it comes to FPS, I managed to die a few times towards the end. I'd give it 9/10. A game that knows what it wants to do and does just that and not a bit more. If you aren't sure, wait for sale, which is what I usually do, but this time I bought it right away and I'm glad I did.

The gameplay is really well done, it managed to remind me of almost every classic FPS at different points, Half Life, Doom, NOLF, ... The story has a few dead ends and it's definitely not something that will make you keep playing, but the background story is really well executed through cutscenes and the ending is what you expect, but not what you want to see. I went in expecting braindead shooter, so I was pleasantly surprised, but it's not Bioshock or Half Life 2.

My biggest complaint is probably the boss battles, because mechanics are always the same, shoot the glowing spot then the weak spot, every single time, with random ammo and health dropping in the arena. You have these absolutely gorgeous arenas that are empty, I was really hoping for one level in the shadow realm where you just cut your way through swarms of demons, but nothing ever came
frown.png
Well, except like 3 minutes in the last chapter... The writing will be hit or miss, expect references and the word "wang" used on every possible occasion which I didn't mind, but I expect some people will come here to say it's terrible.

Weapons are fine, I ended up using every single one of them, except the flamethrower, because you have to be pretty close and then you might as well use the katana... The crossbow is kind of shit, it has really low rate of fire, but I didn't get the final upgrade, so that may improve it a lot. Rocket launcher ends up being the goto weapon for solving difficult fights, along with the warlord head, which is the classic "overpowered energy weapon you never find ammo for" which is elegantly solved by it not having much ammo, but being dropped every other fight toward the end from one of the most difficult enemies. RPG elements are well executed, but because the combos have so long wind-up time, you usually have time to throw like one spell at the beginning and then maybe some emergency healing.

Level design puts all CoD clones to shame, even if they are linear, you can always see places you just went through and how are you moving around a bigger complex, basically like Half-Life.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Love the hidden areas, throw back to old game and graphics. Put points into more money first thing and all the sword skills. Using moves give health and or DD RMB for the heal. Playing Hardest string you have to cheese the heal while blasting stuff with your other hand. You get bonus karma for killing stuff as fast as possible more so then variety like the game suggests.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
I think I managed to get 5 stars like once, even for battles where I wiped the whole wave with a single combo I got 4-4,5. It doesn't matter that much. The biggest pain in the ass are the bulls, because you really need to concentrate on them hitting a wall so you can blast their back for a few seconds and you can't do that very well with a legion of demons chasing you. I swear the hitboxes are sometimes a bit wonky, or the weapons behave weird. I sometimes had problems hitting harpies with the revolver even though I was aiming right at them and emptying all 4 barrels of a shotgun into the bull's back just scratched his butt...

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Bulls are easy just double SMG and they go down quick, do 360 chop when enough weak mobs around you should be single hit death with point into more DMG against demons. You can also charge sword attacks while dodging or sprinting.