Shadowrun Returns

Kais

<Gold Donor>
I think the overall gameplay will go a hell of alot more smoothly than what they were showing off. They are obviously bad at their own game, which is par for the course for vids of that kind when you get right down to it. The overall grittiness more than likely improve, especially if the editor ships with the game which i assume is likely. The only thing that has me the least bit worried is that it seemed like they had used up most of their ammo and consumables after the first 2 fights. I'm really hoping those two rooms weren't the entirety of that mission. I'm also interested in how inventory is handled and how deep the item list is. I'd like to assume there is a balance with the weapon types you chose and cyber available and how it plays into strengths/weaknesses with magic; would be a shame if Ares Predator + smartlink = i win for every scenario like the Nintendo version had.

Speaking for my love of top down strategy games in this style, any recommendations to tide me over in the mean time?

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Do want.

977be9afe4fb0797136c16077364711d.gif
Indeed.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Looks very promising. Can't wait for release. Map editor to design your own campaigns is just bonus. Two questions:

1. Anyone know if there is multiplayer support for the game? I.e. is the map editor only going to work for single players campaigns?

2. How sandboxy is SR Returns, anyone heard anything? Iirc, the SNES version of SR was great, but not very sandboxy. The Genesis version was much more sandboxy. I remember being able to build up quite a stack of cash by doing side runs, invading corps on my own, and poking around in the matrix to find random data files that could be sold to Johnsons. Is SR Returns going to support a lot of sandbox elements, or be more like the SNES version, which was pretty much just a campaign play through?

O_T

Trakanon Raider
It's going to be more like the SNES version. They said it would cost too much money to go with something closer to the Genesis model, which is sad because I liked that game alot. The video has gotten me excited though and I'm ready to play it right now.

Balroc

Molten Core Raider
this game's art style/direction really puts the wasteland kickstarter game to shame.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Game is releasing in June, backers who qualify for the editor will get that at the end of April. Collector's edition pre-orders from harebrained studios end April 28th. Only April 29th the regular and deluxe versions will be available for pre-order on Steam.

They also showed some examples of backers who have been turned into NPCs or PCs options:
rrr_img_20241.jpg

Yet another example of the awesome that is Chris Kluwe hah.

Azziane_sl

shitlord
Game is releasing in June, backers who qualify for the editor will get that at the end of April. Collector's edition pre-orders from harebrained studios end April 28th. Only April 29th the regular and deluxe versions will be available for pre-order on Steam.

They also showed some examples of backers who have been turned into NPCs or PCs options:
rrr_img_20241.jpg

Yet another example of the awesome that is Chris Kluwe hah.
Is "Lite" going to be the name of the orc looking dude with a cigar or is that just the backers' web-IDs?

tarquinn_sl

shitlord
Here have my money, just take it. SNES Version one of my favorite games. I haven't wanted to play a "new" game more than this since I don't remember when.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Here have my money, just take it. SNES Version one of my favorite games. I haven't wanted to play a "new" game more than this since I don't remember when.
Yep, I totally forgot this was coming out a few weeks ago and thought to myself "I should go play Shadowrun on the emulator so I can grind out a few more karma in the junkyard before the arena fights." Then I remembered this was coming out and decided to play through SNES Shadowrun again because it is awesome.

Dumar_sl

shitlord
You guys! This is obviously a case of nostalgia. Take off those rose-colored glasses and you'll clearly see how much better the Shadowrun FPS is!

HERPADERP.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
So today the Shadowrun Returns editor got released for those who were at the relevant kickstarter tiers. I've gone through the tutorial they have up at their Wiki and have been playing around with it and then firing up the game to test out the stuff I've made...

They promised a powerful but ugly editor and they delivered. This is a very powerful tool and just looking through the various options to generate content has me literally dizzy with possibilities. For those who are willing to put in some serious effort I have no doubt that you could create Story modules that are just as good as the officially released campaign. Think Neverwinter Nights only with more functionality.

In testing out the map I made with the tutorial you get to 'play' the game in the barest sense of the word and so I can comment at least a little on what the game feels like.

It feels like Xcom on crack.

Imagine if your Xcom operatives also had the ability to cast spells, have jacked up cyberwear and be orcs and you pretty much have Shadowrun Returns.

Please don't think of this as anything other than a first impression, but I am extremely pleased with what I have in front of me.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
So today the Shadowrun Returns editor got released for those who were at the relevant kickstarter tiers. I've gone through the tutorial they have up at their Wiki and have been playing around with it and then firing up the game to test out the stuff I've made...

They promised a powerful but ugly editor and they delivered. This is a very powerful tool and just looking through the various options to generate content has me literally dizzy with possibilities. For those who are willing to put in some serious effort I have no doubt that you could create Story modules that are just as good as the officially released campaign. Think Neverwinter Nights only with more functionality.

In testing out the map I made with the tutorial you get to 'play' the game in the barest sense of the word and so I can comment at least a little on what the game feels like.

It feels like Xcom on crack.

Imagine if your Xcom operatives also had the ability to cast spells, have jacked up cyberwear and be orcs and you pretty much have Shadowrun Returns.

Please don't think of this as anything other than a first impression, but I am extremely pleased with what I have in front of me.
HNNNNG

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Slight follow up after finishing off the existing tutorials (more are planned, they just arent done yet) and then experimenting myself with some of the scripting options that appear.

Firstly this is indeed the exact same tool that the designers themselves are using to build 'the main game'. Thus unlike Neverwinter's (the new one) Foundry you can literally do anything you want with this sucker.

You set the number of Runners that can be active on a map and when that 'Run' is started you get to hire Runners to fill out your party from amongst the contacts you and your fixer know. To test out the map you can set it so that you also hire 'the player character' in which case Runner0 is just another hired gun. I've used this to play around with the different character types and check out how the SR system translates to this game.

Essentially you have an Action Point system which corresponds to initiative passes in the pen and paper game. You can use an action to move, cast a spell, shoot someone etc. Some actions have a cooldown before you can use them again (several big spells for example) but otherwise just as in the pen and paper game having quickened or wired reflexes = win.

The biggest note I have about character types is that Magic Users and Riggers seem a lot more powerful than Samurai or PhysAds. Riggers in particular as they get to command their drones which also have their own pool of action points and seemingly crazy strong weapons. But it is all clearly far from done soooo.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
The biggest note I have about character types is that Magic Users and Riggers seem a lot more powerful than Samurai or PhysAds. Riggers in particular as they get to command their drones which also have their own pool of action points and seemingly crazy strong weapons. But it is all clearly far from done soooo.
So it's just like tabletop. heyoooo

Also it can't be too far from done, it's supposed to come out this month.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Can you change the rules of the game in the editor? Like you can make scenarios and shit, but can you remake balance and stuff too?

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Things like class abilities, character types, that sort of thing are not included in the editor as near as I can tell. It seems to be intended for content generation only, although you do have some room to force particular runners on the player, apply some global modifiers, etc. Each map is a Scene and a series of linked Scenes is a story. Variables you set in one Scene can carry over into other Scenes within the same Story.

Character advancement seems to be through a combination of Nuyen earned during the Story and the accumulation of Karma.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
What about hacking? Messing around in cyberspace was one of the best things about the Sega version.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Decking (yeah they got rid of calling it Hacking thank god) takes place either by using your decking skills on existing computer interfaces on any real world level or by jacking into the Matrix which is a completely seperate map. They dont have a tutorial up yet for Decking stuff and I havent played around with it enough to know how they link into one another.