Shadowrun Returns

khalid

Unelected Mod
After beating the game, feel a bit better about mages. Petrify and Confusion were really cool. Going to replay as a custom character focusing on guns and cyberware. Not sure if Im going to go shotgun or rifle to start though.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Isn't it terribly unbalanced and shit? I downloaded it but haven't checked it out, do you get to create a high lvl or do you have to import one you've already played?

Budos

Golden Knight of the Realm
Isn't it terribly unbalanced and shit? I downloaded it but haven't checked it out, do you get to create a high lvl or do you have to import one you've already played?
I would import. If anyone wants to host the file, I made a map that lets you make a new character, or level up one you made already. It has all vendors and you can gain karma as you wish.

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
somebody is translating the entire snes version of shadowrun over as well, definatly gonna check that out, I played the genesis one, so i'm dissapointed a bit about cyberspace

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
For 20$ I got a singleplayer campaign that people are currently paying 60$ for.

khalid

Unelected Mod
dissapointed a bit about cyberspace
As an old GM of pnp Shadowrun back when it came out, I fucking hated deckers. The concept of deckers is cool, but trying to implement having someone else do a mission somewhat separated from everyone else was just a bitch to do. The people not decking would be bored as fuck while the decker did his mission and then he would be bored as fuck while they were doing their stuff. Heck, take this game. The separate decking missions were alright I guess, but the ones where you were decking during a mission were annoying, with you swapping back and forth. Also, deckers are utterly worthless in combat so you are stuck dragging them along until you get to "their" part.

So I guess I don't really mind that it is just an afterthought. I wouldn't want it more intrusive and would rather they spend more time on other stuff.

Chronometer_sl

shitlord
I played a good chunk of 'Lost Lamb' or something last night, not bad, but fuck, is it too much to ask that someone proof reads the dialogue? So many glaring mistakes! Spelling, grammar etc. is immensely important, it diminishes the entire feel and quality of the product for me if something that simple isn't done right. This is one of my main gripes with UGC, if you're going to do something, at least do it properly, and if you suck at spelling, get someone to proof read it for you.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Game needs some bugs polished out, but there is a lot of potential here. I beat the into campaign with a custom elf guns and combat mage. Now I am replaying as a custom Troll Decker/Rigger and it plays a lot differently, though I wish I had a fourth weapon slot for my gun (deck and two drones eat up my space).

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'm really hoping that they will push a bug fix patch soon and that the modding community will offer some alternative options for the campaign builder in some of the areas where the game is really lacking.

Pancreas

Vyemm Raider
I guess basically what I was hoping for is more of a continuous set of challenges for each play-style. By that I mean, each mission or level gives a character the opportunity to overcome the main hurdles in a unique way that capitalizes their strengths.

You could break this down by stat really. With each stat having it's own path through a level. This can come in the form of straight stat checks, or from requiring a certain level skill, or requiring the player to use that skill at all. Then you could hide some decent rewards behind barriers that require multiple stats/skills to get around.

I would have liked to have seen an expanded inventory with more options and upgrades. Money really becomes a non issue fairly quickly and thus becomes an uninteresting reward.

A stealth option. This is really wishful thinking at this point as I am unsure if they can even implement it. For a good stealth run you would have your sneaky operative type and a decker minimum. Maybe include remote decking as an option through either a decking drone, or item the operative carries with them. The decker can stay far away in a hidden corner while he shuts down security cameras, opens doors, disables alarms, turns off turrets. And the operative slips past guards, hides in shadows, uses silent weapons and attacks.

The story of the campaign is solid. The mechanics of how you got through it felt very weak. Like others have said however, this should only get better in time with additional content. But if the next campaign in Berlin is just more of the same watered down gameplay, that is not going to help any.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
I'd pay a nominal fee for DLC campaigns if they're as good or better than the first.

I also like dota 2's direction where they approve your shit, put it up for a price and you take a cut.

Seems like that would be the best way to keep the content chimnies smoking.

Kaosu

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Just wanted to point out something about life on a limb user content.

http://shadowrunidentity.org/Life_on_a_Limb.php

Its only about 50% done and this is only one of a long list of modules in development or in planned development. I think its only been in development for a couple of months by a team of a couple people. A year or two down the line and there will probably be at least over a hundred hours of content

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Yeah this is more the next NWN than a stand alone game. Think of the Deadman Switch as more of a tech demo for the toolset. The engine is limited, but for the price it nails the feel of the genre perfectly. Plus a lot of us old timers have been starving for a good turn based tactical RPG.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
And yes, the engine does allow for strength, quickness, or "whatever you want checks" to trigger special things. I need to fool with it more but after watching a few demos, its not too hard to get at least something basic going. An organized and motivated team could make something absolutely insane and huge, hence why I think Steam should open its doors to the player workshop for this.