She-Ra and the Princesses of Power

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Qhue

Trump's Staff
3.00 star(s) Rating: 3.00/5 2 Votes
Title: She-Ra and the Princesses of Power

Genre: Animation, Kids

First aired: 2018-11-16

Cast: Aimee Carrero, Karen Fukuhara, AJ Michalka, Marcus Scribner, Reshma Shetty, Lorraine Toussaint, Keston John, Lauren Ash, Christine Woods, Génesis Rodríguez, Jordan Fisher

Overview: In this reboot of the '80s series, a magic sword transforms an orphan girl into warrior She-Ra, who unites a rebellion to fight against evil.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Qhue

Trump's Staff

This actually launched a few days early and is available on Netflix as of this morning. Has a definite Sailor-Moon kind of vibe to it. Not nearly as man-hating as I would have expected it to be.

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
My two girls are super excited for this. Once the trailer dropped it looked much better than the promo shots. I'm curious if they touch on any of the lore with Eternia.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
They do rework the Eternian lore quite a bit with this. Has a certain legacy-type feel to it ala Legend of Zelda. In addition the 'magic' seems to be actually super crazy advanced technology that is indistinguishable from magic.

One of the biggest changes (other than making Kowl a stuffed animal easter egg) is that everyone knows that Adora and She-Ra are the same. They also take their time with developing her as She-Ra, which is quite a bit different from the original where Adora goes from Force Captain bad-guy to complete full powered She-Ra in an instant.

They also are clearly going out of their way to reinforce realistic body proportions for the characters.

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
They also are clearly going out of their way to reinforce realistic body proportions for the characters.
Yeah, we watched the first two episode and Glimmer... well... yeah...
Overall the first two were pretty solid.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
A few more episodes in and I gotta say I'm liking the dynamic. Having the main group of Adora, Glimmer and Bow works well especially as Glimmer is the one clearly in charge of getting the Princess Alliance back together and not 'She-Ra'. She makes the most of what is admittedly a crap power set compared to most of the other Princesses.

In fact She-Ra isn't so much a character as something that happens to Adora when that power is needed. There's a narrative here that was sorely lacking in the original version.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
So this is something new, actually. Interesting. Originally saw it and thought it was the old school episodes. Might take a gander.

Singh'sSpot

Blackwing Lair Raider
So offensive to call it She-Ra, should be call Zhe-Ra or Zer-Ra, make it friendly to the hundreds of genders.

Tananthalas

<Gold Donor>
I am on episode 11, it really isn't bad. It's definitely a kids show aimed at kids but it is worth the watch if you're a He-Man/She-Ra fan from the 80's. I like the mix of technology/magic.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Entrapta is the best character. She's the embodiment of Chaotic Neutral.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
They do rework the Eternian lore quite a bit with this. Has a certain legacy-type feel to it ala Legend of Zelda. In addition the 'magic' seems to be actually super crazy advanced technology that is indistinguishable from magic.

One of the biggest changes (other than making Kowl a stuffed animal easter egg) is that everyone knows that Adora and She-Ra are the same. They also take their time with developing her as She-Ra, which is quite a bit different from the original where Adora goes from Force Captain bad-guy to complete full powered She-Ra in an instant.

actual women dont have bodies like this she-thing. open your eyes.

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
This was great. Perfection. A culmination of all animated shows that resemble this style from Steven Universe to Voltron to Avatar to My Little Pony to Young Justice.

Binged season in one sitting.
Now ready for some Rule34

Qhue

Trump's Staff
So I rewatched some old She-Ra cartoons this AM to compare as I genuinely had little memory of any specific plot elements in the original.

Turns out the reason why I had such little memory of the actual story beats is that there was little actual story! Every episode is a few Horde troopers annoying someone, stock animation fight, She-Ra kicking ass in a very non fluid way, and Madame Razz saying 'dearie my' a lot. Oh and Hordak's ability to shapeshift into weird shit. I don't think they ever really made it clear what the fuck Light Hope was in the original.

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
So I rewatched some old She-Ra cartoons this AM to compare as I genuinely had little memory of any specific plot elements in the original.

Turns out the reason why I had such little memory of the actual story beats is that there was little actual story! Every episode is a few Horde troopers annoying someone, stock animation fight, She-Ra kicking ass in a very non fluid way, and Madame Razz saying 'dearie my' a lot. Oh and Hordak's ability to shapeshift into weird shit. I don't think they ever really made it clear what the fuck Light Hope was in the original.

He-Man and She-Ra were way more focused on selling toys then anything else. From a documentary I saw most of the actual lore was built into the comics more than the TV show. Mind you, I never really watched either of the shows though.

• 1Like

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
He-Man and She-Ra were way more focused on selling toys then anything else. From a documentary I saw most of the actual lore was built into the comics more than the TV show. Mind you, I never really watched either of the shows though.
Toys That Made Us? That shit was awesome. They were pretty restricted on the content they were allowed to portray in a cartoon. Apparently She-Ra was never allowed to actually hit anything with her sword, like wtf, lol.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Fealorn

<Bronze Donator>
I meant to watch this on the weekend with the kids (5 and 3) but saw the old 1985 She-Ra episodes on Netflix too. I decided to have them go through the old stuff first before new series. Both kids loved it and they are asking to watch more which is great since it finally got my daughter away from asking to watch Barbie's Dream House...that show is aids.

Now to find vintage x-mas She-Ra toys...

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
I watched a few episodes as I was curious and it wound up being pretty solid. Definitely aimed at kids but still watchable as an adult. I was amused by the horses reaction to getting turned into a winged unicorn haha.

• 1Like
TV show information provided by The Movie Database