Shift Scheduling software

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Anyone know some good software or good at making schedules for shift workers?

opiate82

Bronze Squire
What kind of business and how many employees?

I just use an excel spreadsheet I built. I even programmed in numbers for easily tracking labor usage based on expected sales. It is very tailored for my business (pizza restaurant) and is built based on my managers making a schedule weekly.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
9 employees, basically need 2 shifts a morning and night. 6am start and a 12, 1 or 2pm start. end time would be 10pm for that second shift. has to cover 7 days a week. We can go 8 hours, a mix of 8/10 hours, all 10's, or a 5/4/9hour shift. pretty much need 6 people on each day. 3 on each shift. The issue is you end up working a lot of weekends with the current schedule and we are trying to avoid that.. really hard to figure out a decent alternative..

BoldW

Molten Core Raider
Have you thought of online scheduling like HotSchedules or Shiftboard? What's nice is employees can check/manage their schedules from their phones browser or mobile app, so there's really no excuses. Can also do some cool reporting and alert features. Not sure on shiftboard, but Hotschedules also integrates with your POS, assuming you're retail.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Have you thought of online scheduling like HotSchedules or Shiftboard? What's nice is employees can check/manage their schedules from their phones browser or mobile app, so there's really no excuses. Can also do some cool reporting and alert features. Not sure on shiftboard, but Hotschedules also integrates with your POS, assuming you're retail.
nah this isn't for retail but thanks for the suggestion. Right now, I'm just looking for a few different schedules so we can implement the best one. We have a 10/8 hour hybrid we like but we don't think management will go with it.

I wish there was a program that I could plug all of our parameters in and it would spit out different schedules based on them.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Sorry, kind of forgot I replied to this, sounds like what you are looking for and what I use are two different things.

For just 9 employees over four shifts is it really that difficult/time consuming just to do it by hand each week? Granted I have a tool that helps somewhat with my spreadsheet, but that is basically what my managers have to do for 25+ employees covering 150-200 shifts a week and they spend maybe an hour a week making the schedule, two hours tops if there happen to be a lot of requests for time off that particular week.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Can't do it by hand each week. It needs to be approved by union and management and go into place for a year. Has to be a dropdown schedule.