Shitter’s Full - An RV Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I used forest service campgrounds but it's been quite a while. I took my little teardrop. The one night I was lazy I stayed at the Jackson Lake Lodge in the Tetons and my trailer was short enough to fit in the big parking lot. I drove through yellowstone but never have stayed there. Bridger Teton national forest and worst come to worst I literally could just park anywhere large enough for the truck and teardrop and crank up my tiny generator if needed, or not.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Checked out the Airstream today. Drove two hours south after a meeting to see it. They want $16k, I offered $10k, and they didn’t budge.

There’s a few things that scare me. The two largest frame bars underneath are rusty. There are two soft spots and one is in the bathroom w 50 year old plastic. Which will 10/10 break. Meaning we would prob have to redo the entire thing.

A lot of the water valves are rusted. Several big ticket items like the water heater need to be replaced. And like 4 gaskets around the door and windows.

But none of this stuff scares me. It’s the stuff I can’t foresee that makes me feel really uneasy.

74247032-8A55-4DB2-B1DA-DD1F66325667.jpeg
CFD44051-1E26-4633-B04B-3D3859ECC3D9.jpeg
BA4FCAD3-EE47-4D88-A50A-842181B46BD4.jpeg
6C972D8F-89AA-40C8-8D23-606DFB038135.jpeg
0BB5EF48-1FDD-4112-8D13-A386B659D26A.jpeg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Checked out the Airstream today. Drove two hours south after a meeting to see it. They want $16k, I offered $10k, and they didn’t budge.

There’s a few things that scare me. The two largest frame bars underneath are rusty. There are two soft spots and one is in the bathroom w 50 year old plastic. Which will 10/10 break. Meaning we would prob have to redo the entire thing.

A lot of the water valves are rusted. Several big ticket items like the water heater need to be replaced. And like 4 gaskets around the door and windows.

But none of this stuff scares me. It’s the stuff I can’t foresee that makes me feel really uneasy.

View attachment 378312View attachment 378313View attachment 378314View attachment 378315View attachment 378316

I too am scared by this.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Found a 1983 Airstream Classic two hours from me. Original asking was $24,900, but after talking to him a bit he said he’d go as low as $17,000. It’s been garage kept since ‘83 so it’s in tip top condition. Minimal rusting on the frame as well.

His wife also redid the interior really well, so that’s sweet.

The rub on this one is that it needs like 3-4 appliances. So atleast $3k. Gonna go check it out in person next week.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
My coworker is leaving on a cross-country road trip today. They're doing 3 weeks, 5 people (3 kids). Yesterday he said they're going to be averaging 350 miles per day.

If you're ever doing an RV trip, don't do this. It sounds horrific. He said it'd be 6 hours of driving per day, but I don't know that he's ever done anything like this before and doesn't realize that one, he's going to drive significantly slower than a car, and two, with five people he'll be stopping often (don't forget all that gas!).

I'm not entirely sure when they're actually going to see anything. It sounds like they're just going to be driving nonstop in a giant loop around the country.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
My coworker is leaving on a cross-country road trip today. They're doing 3 weeks, 5 people (3 kids). Yesterday he said they're going to be averaging 350 miles per day.

If you're ever doing an RV trip, don't do this. It sounds horrific. He said it'd be 6 hours of driving per day, but I don't know that he's ever done anything like this before and doesn't realize that one, he's going to drive significantly slower than a car, and two, with five people he'll be stopping often (don't forget all that gas!).

I'm not entirely sure when they're actually going to see anything. It sounds like they're just going to be driving nonstop in a giant loop around the country.
3 weeks of being locked in a box with your family driving 6 hours a day? I dunno, could be a great way to bond.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
This is why the self driving RV is the holy grail. Next best thing to a transporter. My cousin worked for a few years on a horse ranch on Hawaii and one of their clients was a billionaire and he would go to Hawaii for the weekend. Get in his private jet and go to bed on Friday night and wake up in Hawaii, spend the weekend riding his horse around, then go to bed on his jet Sunday night and wake up and go to work Monday morning. I don't know why he couldn't ride a horse at home, but I guess it's better in Hawaii.

lurker

Vyemm Raider

View attachment 378312View attachment 378313View attachment 378314View attachment 378315View attachment 378316
You need to buy what you want and I mean that but I really don't understand the whole Airstream thing. For instance, those appliances are essentially the same ones you would find in a trailer costing half as much and that cheaper trailer would have more room by nature of its square sides and possibly a slide. You would also have more options as far as floorplans to choose from which should really be the most important factor in your decision regarding which trailer to buy. Now there is something to be said about 'pride of ownership' and I get that and maybe that's enough. They certainly have that appeal.

There is some truth in thinking an older RV is built better. I do believe my 2005 Dynamax is built better than a 2021 model (although certainly not as high tech and lacking a lot of wow) but really, we're talking about being a 6 vs. a 3 on a scale of 1 to 10. There's only one or two manufacturers that build 10s and they don't build trailers and prices start at around $250k.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
A lot of the square sided stuff is super cheapy and depreciates hard. Airstreams are the only trailers capable of appreciating w some work on the inside.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
I’m in Groveland, about 30 min from Yosemite, for the next 3 days.

Anyone got some pro tips on where to go?