Shroud Of The Avatar - Shit Went Persistent

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Shroud of avatar is up this weekend don't forget, I have to find time to check stuff out with Arch-Age and maybe Teso.
My plan too... hopefully get a taste of everything. I haven't logged into SotA just yet but from what i've heard and seen, i'm very impressed with what they've achieved. There is so much old-school feel to it but it's a new game. Amazing how Lord British and Brad claimed to want the same thing but Lord British blew him away in getting it done. Heck, the expansion in their staff alone is a pretty good accomplishment considering this was a KS venture now at a 4+ million and double to triple the staff.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Just saw the new update email. Game really looks like it's coming along. combat fully in yet?

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Just saw the new update email. Game really looks like it's coming along. combat fully in yet?
I would think they'll move along pretty fluidly as they announced not too long ago that they expanded their team. I have to say on thing for them, they've done quite well with their goals and keeping their progress interesting. I'm just not sure how large of a population they'll garner.

Greyform

Bronze Knight of the Realm
No combat is still pretty clunky, The UI in general is still raw. But it's Alpha so you take it with a grain of salt. World looks good (read generic fantasy mmo). load times between zones. I am not sure if thats alpha or how it's going to be.

overall there is progress with each update and if they continue the game will at least release. To me I would say they're quite a bit away from that date. I think for what they have and for the size of the team they have, what they have done is impressive. I do up my contribution about once a month to the next level. I'm up to Virtual Collector but that's with the free 20 they gave us a couple months back. pretty much as I see progress I feel I like where they're going I invest a couple more bucks. At least no one there is advancing themselves huge chunks of cash. The game is not going to be a blockbuster, it's an old school mmo that is more like 1999 than 2014. But I like they let us log in look around and check out their progress. It's a nice open book policy that let's us cut through the BS and see what is really there.

Why do I keep investing? I don't know I just have a good vibe about them so I support their efforts. Maybe if we can support a few good indie studios we'll have more niche games to play without all the hype that comes with the wanna be blockbusters that over hype and end up becoming just another disappointment.

No combat is still pretty clunky, The UI in general is still raw. But it's Alpha so you take it with a grain of salt. World looks good (read generic fantasy mmo). load times between zones. I am not sure if thats alpha or how it's going to be.

overall there is progress with each update and if they continue the game will at least release. To me I would say they're quite a bit away from that date. I think for what they have and for the size of the team they have, what they have done is impressive. I do up my contribution about once a month to the next level. I'm up to Virtual Collector but that's with the free 20 they gave us a couple months back. pretty much as I see progress I feel I like where they're going I invest a couple more bucks. At least no one there is advancing themselves huge chunks of cash. The game is not going to be a blockbuster, it's an old school mmo that is more like 1999 than 2014. But I like they let us log in look around and check out their progress. It's a nice open book policy that let's us cut through the BS and see what is really there.

Why do I keep investing? I don't know I just have a good vibe about them so I support their efforts. Maybe if we can support a few good indie studios we'll have more niche games to play without all the hype that comes with the wanna be blockbusters that over hype and end up becoming just another disappointment.
Awesome report... what does it play like? What types of systems are they using?

Felmega_sl

shitlord
Combat clunkiness. This is an important hurdle they need to cross. I hope they can figure it out. I like what I have seen so far in terms of 'Interior Decorator MMO', but when its all said and done, satisfyingly swinging a sword and landing a killing blow that packs 'umph' is more important than anything else. I will support them when I am happy with the state of combat.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Greyform

Awesome report... what does it play like? What types of systems are they using?
What does it play like? well if you have ever played a alpha it plays like that. Stuff does not always work or delays before it does. Lot's missing from a standard UI (like health bars on mobs or even names) but you get your butt kicked revamp your strat try again and you can either overcome the UI and combat clunkiness or you're not good enough to win.

What system? I am pretty sure they're using Unity. Basically they're making the game Pantheon claims to be making. Which is kind of funny. I wouldn't be at all surprised to find out that SotA was Brad's inspiration for thinking he could cash in on the indie market.

I would not recommend donating just to play unless you really don't care about throwing away money just to play an alpha intermittently when they open the servers to test new patches. it's not in "game shape" yet.

But if like me you think it's cool to be in on the ground floor of a new mmo regardless of how niche it's going to be then join in and bring your patience.

Flight

Molten Core Raider
how deep do you think the PVE will be? I like PvP and all but I'm really just looking for that old school pve feel.
I really wouldn't buy into this project to play in the alpha or beta. To echo what's been said above it's very much alpha - but I'd add that the games development is exactly on a long ago nailed down schedule and has met all landmarks and progress goals in that time. That schedule says it's going to be a very rich PvE experience at launch though and include a significant number of options for non combat characters a la Ultima Online.

This game is Ultima Online 2 - Garriott makes that clear in numerous interviews. It's just that he doesn't own the name so can't call it that.

Greyform

Anyone playing have a decent handle on this new combat system? I seem to get a lot of slugs come up in the deck.