Shroud Of The Avatar - Shit Went Persistent

Consider getting a standing work desk.
Tried that already but it is taking some getting used to.
I been forced to use gaming laptop instead cause I can do it from bed with pillows under my ass to relief the pressure of my rectum colon.
I am Praying after surgery with the stoma that as it heals, that area wont be and issue anymore.

Bur thanks for the kind suggestion.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
Please name 1 thing that is funny about rectal cancer?
Let's start with I don't believe for a second that you actually have it AleskiFL and finish up with your incessant need to bring it up in every thread you post in in your constant quest for attention/sympathy for your faux disease.

Treesong

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Sounds like a variation of GW1 or the Marvel arpg to me.
Yes, definately a variation on GW1. The big difference is that more players then just those that are in your party can enter the scenes.
I did some more searching and it seems the amount of players in a single scene will be "dozens, not hundreds". You enter the scenes by looking at an overland worldmap. There are contests where creative players can submit their own scenes made in Unity and I am sure the best ones will be used for the game.

Scenes also contain parts of the storyline. There is also an offline singleplayer mode, an online singleplayer mode (no idea what that means) and a party mode? But I am only interested in the Multiplayer online mode.

Here are two threads that show there is still a lot of questions of the how and what concerning scenes and multiplayer:

Can someone clarify instances? | Shroud of the Avatar Forum

How Will Instances be Kept Safe in the Persistant World? | Shroud of the Avatar Forum

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Important to know: the world will not be continuous. From the city-hubs you basically zone into "scenes" which are instances that can be anything, from dungeons to hamlets to an outdoors area. As soon as this instance is created it can be entered by friends on your friendslist and I think there is also some matching program that allows likeminded people to enter that instance. I am unsure how many players can be in such an instance at the same time. I never could find a good explanation how, which and how many players cab actually share this instance with you.
Ouch, that sucks. I was under the impression it would be a big world, but with fluid servers. Like WoW is starting to use. So the "server" you're on, depends on who is around to populate your area. IE if 100 people go into a section of the game, then it will split you into 4 groups based on the server your on if that section only supports say, 25. If towns support say, 50, then it will merge two servers and populate the town.

Stinks that it's a pure hub game, I mean, it doesn't sound terrible--there are some big advantages to that. Like being able to randomize encounters so things like materials and item sales can be rare because the chance of finding the dungeon to drop them isn't 100% (So, for example, finding the "hidden temple of Strife" is actually difficult in it's own right because it's an instance that only pops rarely when you're wandering north of X hub.

Sucks though because it robs some of the "world" feel of the game for precisely the same reason (IE even if I find the dungeon, I can't run back and show someone the way.)

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
Can we move this to other games now?
rolleyes.png

That said, I'm ok with this not being an MMO since the old rpgs werent either. That it wont be a new UO was established from the start since they always talked about single player, solo play or with friends only, etc. That's categorically different from how UO or any "old" MMO functions. So far I'm not buying it because I'm not big on Garriot but if it turns out to be more then a housing simulator I might. I expect it to scratch the UO/Baldurs Gate itch more then any MMO itch though. I think "persistant characters" in a world made up entirely from instancing like GW1 or SC or apparently this game is going to be the norm eventually, real MMOs are on the decline.

What does worry me is the comments on that link from Treesong talking about the multiplayer instances running on people's home pc - that screams for abuse. Anything that isnt strictly offline should be on their own, secure servers (again, GW1 did that well and for free a decade ago - Garriott trying to save up for a trip to mars?).

Gecko_sl

shitlord
Can we move this to other games now?
rolleyes.png
No. Shush.

Open Multiplayer Online is still MMOish, this just gives you built in EMULATOR/Selective mode which I think is brilliant. If you recall, Pantheon is promoting the exact same thing. If they move this, they'd need to move Pantheon, too, especially since it'll probably be using Shroud's tech since Brad didn't actually hire any technical people..

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Request Tuco rename this forum to MMOish Discussion.

biggrin.png

Kaljin

N00b
Let's start with I don't believe for a second that you actually have it AleskiFL and finish up with your incessant need to bring it up in every thread you post in in your constant quest for attention/sympathy for your faux disease.
He should get one of his 8 wives (AleskiFL) or 1 of his 80 kid's that all have lifetime MMO accounts to carry him around like Xeres from the movie 300 and while at it grow a few arms like the Godess Kali so he can play a few of his lifetime sub MMO's.

You can change your forum name all you want - you're still the same ol'jackass "Brah".

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
No. Shush.

Open Multiplayer Online is still MMOish, this just gives you built in EMULATOR/Selective mode which I think is brilliant. If you recall, Pantheon is promoting the exact same thing. If they move this, they'd need to move Pantheon, too, especially since it'll probably be using Shroud's tech since Brad didn't actually hire any technical people..
Well ok - but not counting as an MMO is not a bad thing. Just be ready to move Path of Exile here with their upcoming expansion though because of non-consentual pvp with invading other instances to drive your enemies before you and hear the lamentation of their women.

MORPG general. The massively adverb seems to be exiting the genre.
So is the 'rpg' part. MO forum is go?

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
So, anyone playing the alpha, how is this turning out so far? I'm thinking of buying in on my next paycheck. It certainly looks neat. It's just hard to understand if this is an MMO or not.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Last I looked into it they had small windows to get play. A weekend or something so I didn't buy into it. Last I check there wasn't a lot to do in the game yet. Mostly just waking around

Conkuur_sl

shitlord
I have been following this one from announcement and since there was no way I was going to kick out any funds to old Dick after Tabula Rasa I have been monitoring the videos of those who are paying/playing.
My summary is WTF game developer creates housing and crafting first?! There is absolutely no combat at all! The housing is pretty ugly too.
Get this.... quest NPC's have to be asked in type to prompt a quest. I saw a guy ask things to an NPC 10 different ways and get "Hrrmm?". That is going to get old very fast.
You are supposed to be able to play it both like a single player or a multi player not sure how thats gonna work exactly but who cares.
I have yet to see a multi player beta yet. So far I just see single player in 2 towns.

If this game launches before 2016 it will be worse than "Tabula Rasa". No combat? really?! Who does that?

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
I have been following this one from announcement and since there was no way I was going to kick out any funds to old Dick after Tabula Rasa I have been monitoring the videos of those who are paying/playing.
My summary is WTF game developer creates housing and crafting first?! There is absolutely no combat at all! The housing is pretty ugly too.
Get this.... quest NPC's have to be asked in type to prompt a quest. I saw a guy ask things to an NPC 10 different ways and get "Hrrmm?". That is going to get old very fast.
You are supposed to be able to play it both like a single player or a multi player not sure how thats gonna work exactly but who cares.
I have yet to see a multi player beta yet. So far I just see single player in 2 towns.

If this game launches before 2016 it will be worse than "Tabula Rasa". No combat? really?! Who does that?
I actually saw a video with some combat I think. It was added recently.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/jUTWBcXQFyo

Anyway, I'm okay with the prompts. It's how EQ did it, and actually having to read a quest is a nice change of pace.

Still not sure, otherwise. The game looks pretty cool so far, but I don't think I'll be backing it until online becomes a permanent thing. Aint no body got time for single player bullshit.

Conkuur_sl

shitlord
If you can call that combat lol. It was sad but at least they finally added it. Call me jaded but this game and pantheon give me this foreboding feeling that says stay away. I still have to look though. No funds from me just not enough faith in at least these two games.

blueit

Trakanon Raider

I've also been following the game and you seem a bit misinformed about some things.

They do a release once a month for all the backers to play, next one is on the 27'th, and its still in a pre alpha state. There are currently no quests active in any of the releases so far. The video you were probably watching were the players testing for bugs in the npc conversation system. Looking for typos and seeing what types of responses they could get out of the npc's, they were reporting things to the dev who handles those and they were being fixed same day. Yes, things are done by prompt but the important stuff is bracketed so you know what to ask about.

The game has 3 modes, offline, single player online, and open player online. If you make an offline character, you will never be able to use that character online. Single player online will be just you and maybe your friends but not entirely sure. You will be able to see others players housing in the world and buy from their vendors. Open player online will feel very much like an MMO. In the last release to players, they set the map character limit to 64 players as an initial test. They said 64 was no problem on their servers and plan to lift it higher later. I was playing the last release when they turned on multiplayer for the first time, it felt like an MMO to me.

Combat is planned for the release on the 27'th as well as additional zones or areas to explore. They also have a mega post up on their forums laying out their initial thoughts on PVP and death in the game. I suggest you go check that out.