Shroud Of The Avatar - Shit Went Persistent

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
Thanks for the info, Blueit. When do you think the online will be switched on permanently? It's not really fun to test a bare bones single player game, to be honest.

blueit

Trakanon Raider
At this point, its always online now.

They have a release schedule up on their forums through the end of June detailing what to expect in each release. The release on the 27'th will have combat, quests, 10 zones to explore, party system, and some other things.

Flight

Molten Core Raider
I have been following this one from announcement and since there was no way I was going to kick out any funds to old Dick after Tabula Rasa I have been monitoring the videos of those who are paying/playing.
My summary is WTF game developer creates housing and crafting first?! There is absolutely no combat at all! The housing is pretty ugly too.
Get this.... quest NPC's have to be asked in type to prompt a quest.
As said above you don't seem clear on the stage of development this game is at.

1. They have extremely detailed development plans, constantly share them, are very open and are meeting all their milestones. This project is the total opposite in every regard of Pantheon.

2. I disagree the housing is ugly. And look at the basement mine - hoping it is functional for mining :Add-On Store | Shroud of the Avatar

I share your disappointment with what Garriot has put out over the last decade but I have high hopes for this project. I haven't put any cash towards it yet but I will be doing.

Honestly think the next big and popular MMOs will be skill based and not themepark.

Conkuur_sl

shitlord
I'm hoping for skill based/community based games but it seems my disappointment keeps mounting.

I just found this game rather odd because I never saw a MMO start out with housing/crafting first before they had a good combat system. From reading the forums they still havent even settled on combat system yet. I get the whole "it's Alpha" I just find the way they are doing things highly irregular from the norm.

I guess we will see. I have eyes on it but my hopes aren't enough to fork over any cash.

Like I said I'm a bit jaded at the moment with gaming. I have had to go to strategy games for a challenge lately.

I'm sorry but the housing is ugly compared to say Vanguard that had some really nice realistic housing and that was what 7,8 years ago?Even FFXIV housing looks pretty bad ass. Unless you wanna pay $12000 and get that castle (/facepalm) in SoA the rest are pretty sub par. I personally love housing in games and so I admit I am pretty particular with my housing tastes. Again I guess its a matter of opinion.

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
At this point, its always online now.

They have a release schedule up on their forums through the end of June detailing what to expect in each release. The release on the 27'th will have combat, quests, 10 zones to explore, party system, and some other things.
Will it remain always online from here on out? If so, might be worth it for me to back and try out the alpha. Especially since combat is about to go in.

As skeptical as we all are, this and Project Gorgon are the only old schoolish looking MMOs in development that actually have something to show. I will take anything at this point.

fuffalo_sl

shitlord
Is this game supposed to be a full MMO? I thought I remember reading it would be like star citizen where it's half single player half online. Am I out to lunch on this?

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
No you are right, its just that all you need to be an MMO these days is providing servers and saving player data on your end instead of clientside. Its a low bar.

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
Yeah, but it's something. It's not like the mmo genre is booming with good stuff, so even a sort of hybrid would work for me. So long as they keep adding content for online players.

Zx88_sl

shitlord
Got an email about the release 4 weekend starting. Looking forward to running around and seeing how this works.

• Performance Optimizations: Introducing multiplayer in Release 3 exposed some performance issues that needed resolution sooner than later. To that end, we made this a top priority for Release 4 so more players can enjoy the game.
  • Overworld Map System: Our dual scale navigation system will launch and players will be able to use it to navigate between towns and adventuring areas.
  • 10 Scenes: The Hidden Vale, a hidden island northeast of the mainland, will be complete with 10 scenes, including towns, wilderness, caves, and dungeons. NOTE: We actually have 14 scenes (although two are merely placeholders).
  • Combat: Those first scenes will have nasty beasts in them, so we?ve decided we should give you a way to fight back! This first release of combat will be extremely simple and focus just on auto swing using your equipped weapon. Death will also be kept simple for now: you will auto resurrect at your death location after a short time interval.
  • Quests: Players will be able to participate in quests that will send them around the world and even change game state in the scenes based on quest flags. Testing this early is important because our quest system operates differently than the current standards (e.g. no exclamation points or convo trees). We will also provide the first version of the journal. NOTE: For R4 we were unable to get the Journal UI implemented but you can still get the data by typing /journal in the chat window.
  • Loot: Killing those nasty creatures you encounter and quests you complete will generate loot, including gold and resources.
  • Crafting: Resource Gathering will be added to crafting including resource nodes placed in the world. More recipes will also become available. NOTE: For R4, gathering includes tree chopping (wood), field dressing (animal hides), harvesting (cotton) and mining (ore).
  • More Recipes: 16 more recipes bring our grand total to 169.
  • Player Housing: The housing system will be re-launched with persistence in the online space. Since we are still on the small island of Hidden Vale there are not yet enough lots to go around. To continue to allow everyone to try out player housing, the ownership of the lots will cycle every hour or two. NOTE: While waterfront housing and basements are not working yet, we wanted you to still be able to view them. Waterfront houses (Frigate, Galleon, Houseboat, Lighthouse, Duke Island Castle, etc.) can be found in Kingsport and basements can be found in various buildings around Owlshead, Kingsport, and Braemar. These are static buildings / scenes and not player owned.
  • Parties: We will continue to expand our social systems by adding a Party system so players can group together and adventure.
  • Mac/Linux Patching: No longer will you have to download a full executable whenever we release a new patch. Mac and Linux versions will patch just like the Windows version.
  • Swimming: Jumping was just the first step to giving players a much greater feeling of movement freedom. Like jumping, swimming will eventually be governed by game systems like encumbrance and focus.
  • So now that it is clear what you can expect, we should also be as clear about what you should not expect:
  • Combat: As noted above combat does not yet include skills, magic, decks, or advancement.
  • Performance: We have only done rudimentary optimizations and we do not yet have a full suite of performance fallbacks (LODs, etc.). This means the game will be quite slow on older machines, and due to memory usage, might be unstable in certain conditions (like densely decorated areas). With each release we will be doing further optimizations and adding to our fallbacks to improve performance.
  • Navigation: We have not yet put in a compass or a mini-map, so navigation can be quite challenging at times.
  • Crafting: The crafting system is in the game as a framework, but is still missing some key components like repair, events, and enhancement. Skill checks are also not in yet, so results are always 100% successful. Long term, the percentage chance to make items will depend on a myriad of variables and can result in a variety of results including: making the item desired, making a simpler version of the item that will need to be enhanced, or making a damaged version of the item that needs repair.
  • Game Loop: Release 4 is the first time we will have a rudimentary game loop, but it is still very bare bones. Expect this to expand with each subsequent release but it won?t be truly complete until we hit Beta later this year
  • Advanced Player Housing: There are some advanced features for player housing, including waterfront properties, basements, home exterior decorations, and ceiling decorations that are not yet integrated. Expect to see these appear in future releases.

Flight

Molten Core Raider
Hyped about this. Most promising game on the horizon IMO and going under the radar of most people and sites.

Tipping it to be a surprise massive hit. Industry has had nothing fantasy based from Garriott since UO and he has had all these years to chew over how to do it better. I wouldn't discount his claim to be one of the best game designers out there. On top of that he loves the genre and isn't just in it to cash in on the gravy train. Will be funding it at around $300-$500 at some point

Tipping it to be a surprise massive hit. This will be the real deal and refreshing for us weary vets. Actually don't want to spoil it by participating in the beta.

Still set for an end 2014 release I think ??

Treesong

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Going to play this a bit again this weekend. I wish the house-lot tiers weren't so expensive. Cheapest one starts at 500 dollars. For that you do get a taxfree lot-deed, not just a house, then again nobody knows what people will be paying in-game for the upkeep of a lot (and the deed itself). Since I am an original backer I can still upgrade my pledge to an Original KS tier, instead of just at the Benefactor level, but I can not justify it. To be honest, I think only the most expensive house-tiers look really good, the lower tier houses are pretty barebone imo.

For the rest it all looks good, nice old school feel to it. I am curious how the "scenes" thing will work out with the overland map. My first thought about their "shattered" approach to the world(divided into individual scenes) was "no way" but I am going to keep an open mind about it. It might work.

Kharza-kzad_sl

shitlord
I played some today. Ran around the world map a bit and went in a dungeon, and explored some foresty and hilly areas. Was kind of hunting for trees to chop and minery to mine but didn't see any. Never managed to get a weapon so not sure how the combat works, though I did have stuff attacking me, and a skeleton mage threw a fireball at me.

Spent most of my time trying to figure out how to make a bow haha. I love the experimental crafting.

Treesong

I made sure to visit all the houses that are available this time, and I must say the only mansion that I really like is the Barons Town mansion. Unfortunately this is a 3800 dollar purchase.
smile.png
I like it better then the top-of-the-bill Lord of the Manor keep, which is bigger but has less rooms overall and less nooks and crannies. The Baronhouse has a lot of rooms, 4 stories, several nice balconies and overall a more fun floorplan. All the cheaper houses are either single story with a very simple layout, or 2 story with very tiny rooms(like the towers). Where cheap means between 500 and 800 dollars.

BUT! I *really* enjoy the atmosphere of the game. I did not manage to find out how the overland map works, so only visited the town this time. Will be sure to play some more this evening. If the scenes are going to be varied and fun, if combat is going to be good, then this could be a good game for many.

Flight

Molten Core Raider
Going to play this a bit again this weekend. I wish the house-lot tiers weren't so expensive. Cheapest one starts at 500 dollars. For that you do get a taxfree lot-deed, not just a house, then again nobody knows what people will be paying in-game for the upkeep of a lot (and the deed itself). Since I am an original backer I can still upgrade my pledge to an Original KS tier, instead of just at the Benefactor level, but I can not justify it. To be honest, I think only the most expensive house-tiers look really good, the lower tier houses are pretty barebone imo.
Wish I had been in on the KS, Can't remember why I didn't.

Been playing UO the last few weeks. Reminded just how massive priority placement of housing can be in UO for involvement in the community via vendors etc How the housing looks and operates is very much a secondary consideration for me.

Treesong

Wish I had been in on the KS, Can't remember why I didn't.

Been playing UO the last few weeks. Reminded just how massive priority placement of housing can be in UO for involvement in the community via vendors etc How the housing looks and operates is very much a secondary consideration for me.
Flight, there is a way to still become a Founder, through gifting. This deal runs till April the 7th. It means that an original founder can "gift" a founder package to anyone who is not a founder, and then the recipient is a founder too, and can upgrade his pledge on a Founder level, untill the 7th of April. That is when the grace period ends. The founder that gifts gets an extra 25 dollar on his balance that he can use towards purchases himself. This founder upgrade costs 40 dollars. There are several people on the forum doing this for peeps and even asking less then the 40 dollars that it cost them, since they get a 25 dollar gift on their balance. I have seen them offered for 30 dollars.

Check out this video about it:Shroud Of The Avatar: How To Become A Founder Through - YouTube

And then this section of the forum:Player Marketplace | Shroud of the Avatar ForumLots of peeps offering to gift you the founder upgrade, seeing a guy there that does it for 25 bucks. That guy has many happy customers and is quick, reading the thread.

Be quick, not many days left!

Flight

Molten Core Raider
Thanks so much for that Treesong. Massively appreciated. Have a full time Wildstar beta (if it's still working !) and Closed Beta EQNL beta invites as thanks if you can use either/both of them ?

Guys I strongly recommend this guy :

Pay $40, YOU get the $25 referal. Half price royal artisan. | Shroud of the Avatar Forum

You paypal him the fourty dollar cost of the Adventurers tier referral and he gives you the $25 referal bonus automatically. I followed the instructions in that post - ie created new accoutn on the SoTA home page and then joined chat as linked - sent him the $40 by paypal. Within two minutes I got an email he had initiated with SoTA gifting me the founder level $40 account as well as the $25 referal bonus he had received.

You then get the $25 Alien bonusleaving you with a $90 level tier Founder status account just for sending the guy the $40 paypal.As Treesong said, it ends Apr 7th.

/endShill

Holy shit, I just noticed you can do pledge tiers by monthly payment. Must ... resist ....

Thanks so much for that Treesong. Massively appreciated. Have a full time Wildstar beta (if it's still working !) and Closed Beta EQNL beta invites as thanks if you can use either/both of them ?

Guys I strongly recommend this guy :

Pay $40, YOU get the $25 referal. Half price royal artisan. | Shroud of the Avatar Forum

You paypal him the fourty dollar cost of the Adventurers tier referral and he gives you the $25 referal bonus automatically. I followed the instructions in that post - ie created new accoutn on the SoTA home page and then joined chat as linked - sent him the $40 by paypal. Within two minutes I got an email he had initiated with SoTA gifting me the founder level $40 account as well as the $25 referal bonus he had received.

You then get the $25 Alien bonus leaving you with a $90 level tier Founder status account just for sending the guy the $40 paypal. As Treesong said, it ends Apr 7th.

/endShill

Holy shit, I just noticed you can do pledge tiers by monthly payment. Must ... resist ....
Yes you can do monthly as well as you can keep upgrading as much as you want to a higher plan.

Treesong

Glad I could help, Flight. Thanks for the beta offers, I already got both of those so you can make someone else happy. I hope you let us know with which property you will end up with.
biggrin.png
Check out the Baron Founder City mansion, I think it is the nicest.

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
In a few days I'm probably going to do that early access thing. This game seems to have a lot going for it at the moment.