SimCity

Superhiro

Silver Knight of the Realm
5 hours after submitting refund request, I get an email back informing me of full refund. Super impressed with Amazon.

Intropy

Shit Gamer
Not sure if anyone is actually interested at this point, but people have figured out how to enter debug mode and actually edit the highways and shit outside of the city limits, all of it gets saved to the server:

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor

Have no idea if this has been posted, but it shows the problem pretty elegantly. Not only do sims go to the nearest open "job" or "house" (Depending on time of day) but once that spot is occupied, the rest of the sims aren't alerted, they ALL must go there if the proximity is closer, until they finally get there and only THEN do they go on to the next closest job or house.

It's unbelievable that when a location is occupied that it doesn't at least instantly update all the sprites. I mean, even that would be super-lazy compared to what was promised, but at least it would be more functional..This is just broken, like they didn't even think to try and make the game work. I'm actually shocked and my expectations were already very low.

Joules

Trakanon Raider
I wonder is all of these pathing issues are related to the server side calculations that are said to be taking place but aren't because the servers have been neutered to speed them up. I mean didn't these bugs show themselves at all during beta, or was an hour of PT not enough to see them?

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I wonder is all of these pathing issues are related to the server side calculations that are said to be taking place but aren't because the servers have been neutered to speed them up. I mean didn't these bugs show themselves at all during beta, or was an hour of PT not enough to see them?
It's very unlikely the server is capable of offloading the simulation at that level. There's just no reason to do it.

And yeah, a limited offline mode is around the corner, but building a fully working server implementation that a user can build their own region up in a competent way is not as trivial.

Running Dog_sl

shitlord
I don't see how anyone would reasonably expect to do those algorithms on the servers when the servers they had weren't capable of handling basic operations, never mind complex real-time calculations for thousands upon thousands of agents.

It's far more likely the issues were brought up in beta and simply ignored, because by the time people figure out how broken things are EA will have already pocketed the cash. And game reviews generally don't spend long enough with a game to figure that stuff out.

Of course the server-side catastrophe has scuppered all that.

Also shows how "Game Journalism" is total shit. I mean, all these laughable reviews that don't even address or mention the fundamental problems of this utterly garbage of a game. Polygon has been the worse. Has IGN released their review yet? Game reviews are nothing more than another form of paid advertising.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
IGN put out a review and gave it a 7, which I think is a fair grade since parts of the game as so good and most of the big problems are fixable.

And I'm not sure if the initial high scores are because journalists are shills or because they're under so much pressure to review a game within a very limited amoutn of playtime and release the review at release. I do think that reviewers should feel free to revise their review scores.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I'm getting increasingly excited by the idea of crackers being able to let you have one city that encompasses the entire region.

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
I would find it moderately exciting if the fundamentals of traffic, population, RCI, etc. weren't complete garbage. Maybe if they fix/mod that.

Cantatus

Lord Nagafen Raider
Not sure if anyone is actually interested at this point, but people have figured out how to enter debug mode and actually edit the highways and shit outside of the city limits, all of it gets saved to the server:
The more important thing is they were able to remove the 20 minute check to see if you are connected to the internet, effectively making thegame playable offline, though it still requires an internet connection to save.

Also shows how "Game Journalism" is total shit. I mean, all these laughable reviews that don't even address or mention the fundamental problems of this utterly garbage of a game. Polygon has been the worse. Has IGN released their review yet? Game reviews are nothing more than another form of paid advertising.
I think the thing is a lot of the problems that are being talked about now are things that aren't really noticeable unless you spend a lot of time in the game. Reviewers generally don't spend that much time with games before a review goes out and aren't going to look that deep into a games mechanics. There's also the fact that the server troubles didn't exist prior to launch since there were only a handful of people playing at a time rather than tens of thousands of people.

People seemed to take issue with Polygon reducing their score after these problems started cropping up, but really, I think it'd be good to see more reviewers work like this. It's not like going to review a movie where the movie you see is the exact same movie everyone else is. There are a lot of factors that can change after a game launches, so why not have reviews change to reflect that?

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Well the always on internet DRM worked, made it so nobody wanted the game even if it was free.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
If I still pirated games like I did before Steam I wouldn't have been suckered into paying for this travesty.