Similar games Shining Force I/II

kaxfenix

N00b
Hey HAtorade, ,

Yeah I can mess with emulators.. But I was kind of hoping some one would chime in .. yeah this <insert indie Game> is cool Check it out..

Though I am curious as to what you have in mind.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Oh man, I'd love more games on par with those two. There have been plenty similar games throughout the years, but SF1 and 2 are still my faves of the genre, by far.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kyougou

<Gold Donor>
I'm sorry to interrupt but, could we make this a general "games similar to X" thread?
And if so... I would really like to know if there are any game similar to dragonforce for the sega saturn? (video below)

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
I'm sorry to interrupt but, could we make this a general "games similar to X" thread?
And if so... I would really like to know if there are any game similar to dragonforce for the sega saturn? (video below)

One of the GOAT

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Brigandine
Final fantasy tactics
Ogre tactics
Ogre battle
Disgaea series

Those have all scratched the itch in one way or another for me.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Arc the Lad I-II
Front Mission 3 or 4(both hold up great)
Vandal Hearts 1-3
Suikoden Tactics(Very RPG Heavy)
Farland Saga using PC emu with english pack
Stella Dues(maybe)
Valkyria Chronicals(can't recommend this one enough)
Jeanne d'arc(PSP emu)
Silent Storm
Vanguard Bandits
Dynasty Tactics
Growlanser
Shadow run games(more recent the better)

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
There's the whole Fire emblem series, last of which is on 3DS and is one of the more modern in the genre. New Fire Emblem coming out at some point in the near future too. Disgaea for the recent games on a non handheld. Then the many games listed in previous posts if you don't mind older stuff, but genre is kinda dead so it's hard to find other modern games that are similar. I guess Shadowrun/Wasteland 2 could be considered similar too, for PC games. If you stretch a bit, Divinity: Original Sin is turn based with similar gameplay to tilebased strategy RPG, kinda. It has a lot more RPG elements though, it's not just big battles with a bit of narrative inbetween like Shining Force was.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah, there's a lot of Strat RPGs out there, just most of them are handheld/oldschool system based.

I'd honestly like to find a game a bit more similar to Ogre Battle, because that remains one of the coolest/most interesting games I played on the SNES, even if a single Lich/4 Ghost group (Hi Warren!) would break 80% of the maps. I really dug the art style (very similar to FFT portraits) and would totally love to play a more modern version of that game.

Melvin

Blackwing Lair Raider
ANy one have any recommendations on Similar games to Shining Force the. The RTS/RPG type game play?
If you want something similar to the Shining Forces, have you played Dark Wizard? It was only released on the Sega CD, so it's obscure enough that even Sega fans could have missed it. It's basically a more serious, grown up version of Shining Force. A little less Final Fantasy, and a little more Dungeons & Dragons, if you will. I can't recommend it highly enough. I've played through Dark Wizard more times than any other single player RPG.

The gameplay is really similar to, but deeper and more complex than Shining Force, and the armies more diverse because there are only a handful of pre-rolled characters per play-through. At the start you pick one of the four rulers as your main character, then as their individual plotlines unfold you'll meet up with 2 pretty solid named characters that join your army. The bulk of your team will be chosen/created by you, and the subtleties of what makes which characters better in which situations are really well done. There's at least onethorough webpagethat I wish I would have had 20 years ago when the game was brand new. Specifically the sections aboutLeaders and their monstersand theraces and classesare both things that will make getting started so much more rewarding if you read them while you're still on the first half dozen maps/battles.

Another thing to do early on in the game is to go into the options on the title screen and make sure the battle display is set to text. The side view graphics are kind of neat every once in a while, but holy shit do they slow down gameplay to a crawl. This is a fairly long game (dozens of hours per playthrough, and 4 different main characters with vastly different summoning and hiring options), and keeping the battle display set to real the whole time would be a serious test of patience.

Anyway, like I already said, I really can't say enough good things about Dark Wizard. I rank it right alongside Everquest, Diablo II, Fallout II, and Final Fantasy V.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Not sure where else to throw this. This game sounds amazing, probably too good to be true as its one dude making it but I will follow it. Ogre Battle is one of my favorite games. Add in Fire Emblem and Final Fantasy IV bits and seriously sounds amazing. Hope it gets completed.

alert icon