Simple video recording & editing software?

Dabamf_sl

shitlord
I'm teaching an online class, so I'm in the market for some simple, easy to use video recording and editing software. I've used Debut for another purpose because it's free, but it seems limited.

At a minimum I just need to record myself and be able to edit clips together so I can cut out mistakes. I don't need any other editing capability. As a bonus, and this is fairly but not hugely important, I'd like to be able to also record what's on my computer. Like how streamers will show their face during an intro or something, then show what's on the computer screen but with the webcam view in a small portion of the screen. That capability would be really nice so I can show people what I'm doing on my computer.

Any suggestions for easy to use software? I don't mind torrenting.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
are you on pc? windows movie maker is a free download from microsoft (if you have win7/8) and pretty easy to uses
Movie Maker - Microsoft Windows

something a bit more powerful and free is

avidemux

Avidemux - Downloads

(i only do super basic video editing) i asked friends for the "gimp of video editing" and they pointed me to this.

gimp btw is the free alternative to photoshop.

Syringed_sl

shitlord
For your purposes, Windows Movie Maker will more than satisfy your needs. I first started using it to edit game footage for my youtube channel. At the time, I was looking for something that I could easily cut out mistakes and periods of dead air to keep the flow of the video entertaining. I had zero video editing skills and it only took me a half hour to learn enough to put out a decently edited video that I was happy with. Now, I use Sony Vegas but I'll always recommend Windows Movie Maker as that perfect stepping stone for anyone.

Dabamf_sl

shitlord
Thanks for the suggestions. From what I can see, neither of those seem to be able to switch to screen view? Is that true or am I missing something?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
you want to record the desktop?

http://www.techsmith.com/jing.html

i "think" they still have a 5minute limitation

their full fledge software doesn't camtasia, costs a pretty penny, but i believe jing (the free version) doesn't export to a useable format you can edit, camtasia does.

the gimp version of camtasia should be ezvid.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Use Open Broadcast Software to record anything on your computer. Don't use anything else. It's also free.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
something a bit more powerful and free is

avidemux

Avidemux - Downloads
Can anyone suggest an alternative to Avidemux - commercial or free?

All I'm looking to do is clip about segments of an AVI or MP4 file, resize, and re-encode it with a different video and audio codec. Additionally, sometimes I'll need to append multiple clips together, re-encode, etc.