Singapore & Malaysia

Alpha

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Going to Singapore for 2 weeks at the end of March to see my lady. We are also going to Malaysia for a weekend. I'm sure she has plans for us but I'm looking for more ideas.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
The only thing I know about Malaysia is what a friend told me. She studied abroad in Malaysia while working on a biology degree. Anyway, she said that the tailors there are unbelievable. You show them a picture of an outfit from a magazine and they'll take your measurements and make it just as good as like Calvin Kline or whatever, but for pennies on the dollar. She said you could go there with $1,000 and get an entire wardrobe custom made for you.

Aside from that, it's also where she tried Mushrooms. Apparently they're rather common over there.

Vinen

God is dead
The only thing I know about Malaysia is what a friend told me. She studied abroad in Malaysia while working on a biology degree. Anyway, she said that the tailors there are unbelievable. You show them a picture of an outfit from a magazine and they'll take your measurements and make it just as good as like Calvin Kline or whatever, but for pennies on the dollar. She said you could go there with $1,000 and get an entire wardrobe custom made for you.

Aside from that, it's also where she tried Mushrooms. Apparently they're rather common over there.
Common but could probably get you thrown in pound me in the ass muslin jail.

Seriously, don't touch drugs in Singapore orANYMuslim country.

//I r terrible at English. Not saying Singapore is a Muslim country. Just saying much like Muslim countries you will end up whipped and or dead if you do drugs and are caught.

Soljourn

Lord Nagafen Raider
Just got back from Singapore. It's an amazing place, but expensive. If you use any tobacco product you will have to pay taxes on any tobacco you bring in. If you use e-cigs, don't bring them, they are illegal in Singapore. Don't bring chewing gum, also illegal.

Alpha

Thanks for all the info. Xarpolis, it's funny you mentioned the tailor thing, I'm in need of some new blazers!

Harfle

Lord Nagafen Raider
Just got back from Singapore. It's an amazing place, but expensive. If you use any tobacco product you will have to pay taxes on any tobacco you bring in. If you use e-cigs, don't bring them, they are illegal in Singapore. Don't bring chewing gum, also illegal.
Singapore has lots of laws. know them or be prepared to suffer.

Harfle

Lord Nagafen Raider
Thanks for all the info. Xarpolis, it's funny you mentioned the tailor thing, I'm in need of some new blazers!
Most of these prices have gone up from when I started going back in the early 2000s. The world has lots of good tailors. But the quality of the material can leave something to be desired, you get what you pay for.

Harfle

Lord Nagafen Raider
Going to Singapore for 2 weeks at the end of March to see my lady. We are also going to Malaysia for a weekend. I'm sure she has plans for us but I'm looking for more ideas.
I would recommend skip Malaysia and go Indonesia.

redshift_sl

shitlord
Singapore has amazing food, hawker centers are great for trying a bunch of really cheap but high quality street vendors (and since it's in a hawker center, it's clean and regulated). There's great Indian, Chinese, Malay, and even Japanese food all over the city, if you want specific recommendations for any particular type of food let me know. Clarke Quay and Orchard Rd are fun for some crazy consumerism (bars and nighclubs in Clarke Quay, and infinite shopping in Orchard). Check out the bar at the top of Marina Bay Sands. The cover charge is a little silly, but it's worth it none the less for the city views at night. The river tours are a good way to learn some history and see less urban areas of the city. Personal feeling is that the whole Raffles Hotel/Singapore Sling thing is overrated, and a little out of the way from most of the rest of the city.

Have fun at the airport too, it's almost like a city of its own, it's easily the best airport I've ever been in.

Alpha

Singapore has amazing food, hawker centers are great for trying a bunch of really cheap but high quality street vendors (and since it's in a hawker center, it's clean and regulated). There's great Indian, Chinese, Malay, and even Japanese food all over the city, if you want specific recommendations for any particular type of food let me know. Clarke Quay and Orchard Rd are fun for some crazy consumerism (bars and nighclubs in Clarke Quay, and infinite shopping in Orchard). Check out the bar at the top of Marina Bay Sands. The cover charge is a little silly, but it's worth it none the less for the city views at night. The river tours are a good way to learn some history and see less urban areas of the city. Personal feeling is that the whole Raffles Hotel/Singapore Sling thing is overrated, and a little out of the way from most of the rest of the city.

Have fun at the airport too, it's almost like a city of its own, it's easily the best airport I've ever been in.
Thanks! I'm actually staying at MBS for a night, do guests get to bypass the cover charge?

splorge

Silver Knight of the Realm
Here are a few specific recommendations for eating:

hawker centres:
Lau pa sat festival market - in town near the fullerton, semi air conditioned and easily the nicest of the centres, but was under renovation last time i went.

newton hawker centre - must eat oyster omelet, carrot cake, cereal prawn, bbq stingray with sambal, BEER

maxwell food centre - chicken rice at tian tian hainanese chicken rice

Chili Crab:
no signboard seafood 414 geylang road
can also try Jumbo seafood, but book in advance

raffles hotel - skip singapore sling, get fishead curry!

Other eats:
curry puff
lakhsa
pulled tea

If that doesnt satisfy you head to club street or huxton hill. tons of restaurants in that area. I generally avoid boat quay and clark quay, very touristy. I would agree the best view is from ku de ta, at MBS

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
Crazy I'm also goin to Singapore/Malaysia end of march. Anyone done the night safari? Is marina sands worth visiting?
Also going to Kuala Lumpur - any recommendations there? Heard not safe for tourists??

Alpha

I'm actually skipping the Malaysia side trip and going to Krabi Thailand. Sitting on the Delta skyclub drinking free beer at 8 am, this trip is going to fucking rock. Anyone got some info on Thailand, specifically Krabi? I'll be there for 5 days, I want to ride a armored elephant.