Skiing/Snowboarding Thread

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Heading up for the first time tomorrow to Mt. Baker, most snow in North America right now. 27" in the last 24 hours with another 8"+ on the way tonight, can't wait.

Also, this:

opiate82

Bronze Squire
So I made it up last week to Mt. Baker. Had waist deep powder everywhere, it was amazing. Best powder day I have had the chance to ski in the last 15 years. Normally this time of year we get a bunch of the "Cascade Concrete" (thick, sticky, wet snow) but this stuff was nice light and fluffy. The day after I went, Stevens Pass (the other mountain within an easy drive from my place) received 39" of snow overnight. This is shaping up to be one of the best seasons sincethe '98-'99 world record setting season.

Best picture I got of myself standing in the snow at the mountain.
SHuqQl.jpg

SHuqQl.jpg

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
I havent been boarding in 2 years. I really need to try and get a few trips in this season.

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
It's mid December, hasn't snowed in PA yet. Global warming sucks. I miss snowboarding.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
I was at Fernie last weekend, with similar powder conditions. Snowed a couple feet Thursday/Friday, and most of the mountain hadn't been open yet. Good times for sure.

As far as global warming goes, if anything it seems to have helped with snowfall in the Canadian rockies. I don't know if it's a changed weather pattern that brings more storms, or if it's that the warmer winters allow more humidity in the atmosphere and greater snowfalls. For most of the past 5-7 years it seems like most mountains are having near record years.

darkko_sl

shitlord
My brother and I have been kicking around a trip to Big Sky in Montana next year. Can't wait.

Anyone been to Big Sky/Moonlight basin?

opiate82

Bronze Squire
I was at Fernie last weekend, with similar powder conditions. Snowed a couple feet Thursday/Friday, and most of the mountain hadn't been open yet. Good times for sure.

As far as global warming goes, if anything it seems to have helped with snowfall in the Canadian rockies. I don't know if it's a changed weather pattern that brings more storms, or if it's that the warmer winters allow more humidity in the atmosphere and greater snowfalls. For most of the past 5-7 years it seems like most mountains are having near record years.
It's funny, this summer when the entire US was gripped in that huge drought/heat wave, if you looked at the climate maps that showed how much hotter than normal everywhere was, Washington was the only state that was cooler than normal. Seems like global warming has effected everything but the Pacific Northwest, instead we are getting cooler temperatures and more precipitation. It has made the last couple of ski seasons pretty good.

My brother and I have been kicking around a trip to Big Sky in Montana next year. Can't wait.

I have not, but if you do go, come back with pictures.
smile.png

smile.png

Colorado had a shitty year last year and this year is shaping up to be even shittier. Seems the Cascades are having a good year though. Mt. Baker and Mt. Bachelor both are having great early snow.

Yes; they are awesome. Seriously good resorts. And if you have the time and money I would highly recommend to hit up Bridger for a day as well. Have you ever skied cold smoke before? Do if it you get a powder day up there.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
It's funny, this summer when the entire US was gripped in that huge drought/heat wave, if you looked at the climate maps that showed how much hotter than normal everywhere was, Washington was the only state that was cooler than normal. Seems like global warming has effected everything but the Pacific Northwest, instead we are getting cooler temperatures and more precipitation. It has made the last couple of ski seasons pretty good.
I recall reading an article earlier in the year (no link on hand) that said that the west coast will be the least affected by global warming.

darkko_sl

shitlord
Had never heard of Cold smoke, so thanks for the heads up. Will def. look into both places. I just skimmed the Bridger website but does it tend to be more expensive? The lift tickets are pretty cheap, but from you're post it sounded like there would be more cost involved.

Nah Bridger is very inexpensive. Lift tickets, on-mountain food, even the ski schools are cheap. Its pretty much the locals hill for Bozeman. That said if you are lodging in Big Sky you would have the additional expense of getting up to Bridger and back. And 191 sucks to drive during the winter so my recommendation would be to take one of the shuttles. That's all. If you were staying in Bozeman however Bridger is only 15-20 miles north and its an easy drive.

Don't get me wrong you won't exhaust Big Sky / Moonlight with a Biggest Skiing in America pass. Not even close. But most tourists won't even look at Bridger because they think "locals hill lolol". Jokes on them however, because Bridger has some mighty fine snow, a lot of really great intermediate terrain with terrific pitch, and for the folks that pass cert some crazy good ridge skiing. Not to mention its usually MUCH less crowded
smile.png

smile.png

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
I recall reading an article earlier in the year (no link on hand) that said that the west coast will be the least affected by global warming.
I find that a bit surprising. Maybe they mean only the coast. Because otherwise, Western Canada, Alaska and the Arctic are all predicted to experience faster than average warming.

I posted this on the old boards, but figured I'd share again as it's one of the best ski movie vignettes I've ever seen:

Hmm, can you embed Vimeo?

http://vimeo.com/32863936

ziggyholiday

<Bronze Donator>
Headed to the Black Forest tomorrow morning for my first real trip this season. It's not the Alps but I'll get there next month!

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Just got back from skiing in WV over New Years. It didn't snow at all while we were there and the temp hovered around 20 degrees. There was about a foot on the ground and a few inches in powder. Was great skiing for the east coast.

I'm pretty jealous of you guys that live so near legit slopes.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Man killed in B.C. avalanche remembered as free spirit, passionate snowboarder | Globalnews.ca

Shane was a good friend of mine. I had only known him for the past 3 years, but in that time I'd done numerous road trips in the summer and winter to go skiing and biking. He was an all around awesome guy. Funny as hell, a wicked boarder and biker, not to mention a pretty good hockey player despite not playing it growing up. He was a natural athlete. Unfortunately him and another friend of mine made a bad decision to go outside resort boundaries without beacons, and he paid the ultimate price. I'm not even sure if a beacon would have helped, as one of the news reports indicated that he suffered a head injury that killed him instantly. I've yet to speak to the guy who was with him, just some texts, so I don't know the full story at this point.

I just can't quite process the fact that I'll never stand on top of a line with him and race him down (we were always first and second fastest down amongst our group). Or that he won't pop in to a room and yell "what's up, faggots?!" On the other hand, the last time I saw him was for a weekend of skiing at Revelstoke 5 days before he died, and it was one of the best weekends of skiing I've had at a resort in years. Shane, Alex and I rode together top to bottom from lift open to close on the Saturday, only stopping for the occasional beer or J in the trees, not even lunch.

rrr_img_54251.jpg

That's Shane with the beard in the middle, Alex who was with him and is now struggling with the guilt of watching his friend die and being absolutely helpless to do anything, and me on the right. Taken last weekend at Revy.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Big Sky bought out Moonlight and it is one massive resort now. It is world class.

$99 lift tickets are steep for Montana, but still cheaper than the big resorts in Colorado. The best part is that every lift is high-speed. Plus, there are never crowds. You won't wait in any line more than 2 minutes the whole day. Early March is generally the best skiing of the year.

BIG_SKY_RESORT_EASTERN.jpg
BIG_SKY_RESORT.jpg

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
Man killed in B.C. avalanche remembered as free spirit, passionate snowboarder | Globalnews.ca

Shane was a good friend of mine. I had only known him for the past 3 years, but in that time I'd done numerous road trips in the summer and winter to go skiing and biking. He was an all around awesome guy. Funny as hell, a wicked boarder and biker, not to mention a pretty good hockey player despite not playing it growing up. He was a natural athlete. Unfortunately him and another friend of mine made a bad decision to go outside resort boundaries without beacons, and he paid the ultimate price. I'm not even sure if a beacon would have helped, as one of the news reports indicated that he suffered a head injury that killed him instantly. I've yet to speak to the guy who was with him, just some texts, so I don't know the full story at this point.

I just can't quite process the fact that I'll never stand on top of a line with him and race him down (we were always first and second fastest down amongst our group). Or that he won't pop in to a room and yell "what's up, faggots?!" On the other hand, the last time I saw him was for a weekend of skiing at Revelstoke 5 days before he died, and it was one of the best weekends of skiing I've had at a resort in years. Shane, Alex and I rode together top to bottom from lift open to close on the Saturday, only stopping for the occasional beer or J in the trees, not even lunch.

rrr_img_54251.jpg

That's Shane with the beard in the middle, Alex who was with him and is now struggling with the guilt of watching his friend die and being absolutely helpless to do anything, and me on the right. Taken last weekend at Revy.
Sorry to hear about your loss man, it's always hard to lose a friend. Especially when it's someone that you've intimately shared good times with, snowboarding/skiiing I feel bring people closer together than almost any other activity and the friends I've made during my time on the mountain have remained with me forever (my brother even married one of them!). I hope you can look past the sadness to the memories that you guys created when he was around and be happy to know that (according to that article and what you wrote) he lived a pretty awesome life, significantly better than what most could hope for, and made a lasting impact on the people around him.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Thanks for the kind words Sutekh! If anyone out there is looking for the ultimate heli skiing experience and has a bit of money to spend, I would strongly urge you to check out Mica Heli Skiing:Heli Ski Mica Heli Skiing Canada

Had three of the best ski days of my life there over the holidays. It was pretty goddamn awesome:

rrr_img_56089.jpg

rrr_img_56090.jpg