Skylanders Swap Force

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
Just picked up the whole lot today. Toy's 'R' Us is having Buy One, Get One 40% off on all Skylanders figures. My kids are loving the game. I have to admit though, I am enjoying the game as well. Great characters and the story has been well done so far.

IGN review

Complete Character list

Here are the exclusives:

- Starter Pack with game:Gamestop: Dark Edition Starter Pack

Walmart:Skylanders Swap Force Enchanted Hoot Loop
Toys 'R' Us:Legendary Grim Creeper

Target has their exclusive packaged as a double pack with a non-exclusive that comes in two versions:
A -Nitro Magna Charge + Rattle Shake
- OR -
B -Nitro Magna Charge + Free Ranger

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Skylanders is fucking genius. Make an addictive diablo-lite video game, and make buying hundreds of dollars worth of action figures a part of the game if you want to play as different characters and see all of the content.

It's like a goddamn license to print money...I wish I would have thought of it.

Nintendo should do this with Pokemon, make it to where you have to actually own the card from the trading card game, or even own a figurine of the Pokemon in order to possess it in the video game.

LadyVex_sl

shitlord
Skylanders is fucking genius. Make an addictive diablo-lite video game, and make buying hundreds of dollars worth of action figures a part of the game if you want to play as different characters and see all of the content.

It's like a goddamn license to print money...I wish I would have thought of it.

Nintendo should do this with Pokemon, make it to where you have to actually own the card from the trading card game, or even own a figurine of the Pokemon in order to possess it in the video game.
They do do this; it's called Pokemon Rumble, though it's not nearly as well marketed, and I don't think the game is exactly like skylanders/infinity, which is more action-y. Unsure though in total.

If they made a pokemon game like Pokemon Conquest with characters I would never have anything left after a paycheck.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
How is the actual gameplay in these types of games? Is it more platformer? Or a variety of things? I saw races and challenge courses (I think)... Curious if there is a lot of decent gameplay behind this.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
It's actually a pretty good game. At it's core, its an action RPG, like Diablo or Torchlight. Kill monsters, get experience, collect gold, level up. It's a little bit slower paced than those games since it's aimed at younger kids, but the game is also multiplayer co-op, which seems to be a rarity anymore.

Great game to play with your kids if you have any. I don't know that I would play it by myself as an adult(it's not nearly as deep as Diablo, Torchlight, or Path of Exile), but I have a blast playing it with my 9 year old nephew, and my good friend has a 6 year old that loves it too, they play it a lot.

It does have an element of basic puzzle solving and logic as well, as you may need different types of skylanders to get through different areas of a level. You might need a fire-based guy to burn down a barrier to a side part of a level, or an ice-based guy to freeze some water so you can walk across it, etc. You can swap characters on the fly, mid-level.

Delly

Trakanon Raider
I enjoy min/maxing so it is hard for me to get into this with my kiddos. We have the first two games and bought the majority of the figures on Black Friday sales or just other sales.

While the game play is not that in depth there is a lot of stuff included in these games, especially stuff kids would not understand. It doesn't hurt game play for them and adds a little more for the adults.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Watching kids fight over the action figures is hilarious. The paywall to play the game is sinister but since it comes with an action figure it's totally acceptable.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Could you imagine the outrage if Blizzard released Diablo 4 with one playable character, and the other playable characters/classes all required and addtional $10-$15 purchase, and were all available at launch(i.e. not expansion packs a year later)

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Little boys playing with badass action figures kinda died out for awhile, I think most parents who played with He Man and GI Joe as a kid are just glad to see their kids engaging in an activity somewhat akin to what they engaged in as a child.

I'm just glad my kids stuck with being pokemon crazy, instead of hopping over to a franchise that sounds like it could cost significant sums just to play.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
So apparently they launched the game with some elements not represented in the Swap Force combinations and are thus releasing a new wave of figures this week which include the missing elements? Holy cow this thing is like printing money. I feel sorry for anyone who gets wrapped into this game.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Especially parents as I know this is the sort of game I would have a very hard time denying to my kid hah.

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
You certainly don't NEED every single figure. One of each element, at least one giant would get you all of the first two games. For Swap Force, you will need to get enough swaps to be able to make all the various element combos to see every area of the game. I'd imagine one swap-able for each element would suffice. To get everything for Wave 1 of swap force, including the new starter pack cost me $285, one sale at Buy One, Get One 40% off.

If your hardcore and are getting them all, then there are the Legendaries, Lightcores, etc. I don't get that crazy. Unless its an actual different version of the character, i.e. Legendary, or some additional abilities, I don't buy it just because it lights up if I already have it.

My wife gives me shit cause I buy em all...for the kids
smile.png
Honestly though, its a blast playing it with the kids.