Smart Smoke Detectors

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Which one? Nest reviews are meh with lots of false alarms. Anyone have first hand experience?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Hmm, friend can vape around mine without it going off. Pretty sure it’s either a diode with a battery, or a spycam. Will investigate at some point. Wait, wife overcooked a steak once and it made some noice. Probably doesn’t exclude either theory.

Are you scared your pot smoking neighbours are going to accidently your building?

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Hmm, friend can vape around mine without it going off. Pretty sure it’s either a diode with a battery, or a spycam. Will investigate at some point. Wait, wife overcooked a steak once and it made some noice. Probably doesn’t exclude either theory.

Are you scared your pot smoking neighbours are going to accidently your building?
My neighbors grow opium actually.

• 1WTF

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Just don't get one that auto-dials the fire department. Had mine go off because I was smoking a joint near it, didn't get to the phone on time when the alarm company called, and had to deal with a fire truck in front of my house and a $150 false alarm fine.

I'm king of the smart home gadgets, but don't really get the point of a "smart" smoke detector. If I'm in the house the siren is enough, if the batteries are low it beeps, and honestly if I'm not at home and I've got an actual fire, getting pinged on my smartphone is not going to do much good. In fact, if I had a home fire I'd probably prefer a total loss on the home than some half burnt out wreck.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Just don't get one that auto-dials the fire department. Had mine go off because I was smoking a joint near it, didn't get to the phone on time when the alarm company called, and had to deal with a fire truck in front of my house and a $150 false alarm fine.

I'm king of the smart home gadgets, but don't really get the point of a "smart" smoke detector. If I'm in the house the siren is enough, if the batteries are low it beeps, and honestly if I'm not at home and I've got an actual fire, getting pinged on my smartphone is not going to do much good. In fact, if I had a home fire I'd probably prefer a total loss on the home than some half burnt out wreck.
Went with 4x basic detectors. May make my own audio detector that utilizes aws iot to push notifications to my phone if it senses audio at a certain decibel. Should be pretty simple tbh. Already have a pi that sends me text updates via aws iot

Amazon has alexa safeguard or whatever but I dont trust those devices listening in.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
B79FF631-C6EB-41FD-B422-CCADFDCE1A30.png

This one. Works pretty well. Flat has not caught fire yet, so, yeah. Just imagine it has smart features though. Too cheap to pay extra for that.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
so far i have smart everything, even my fucking robo vac, but i won't do smoke alarms b/c i've seen too many negs on it (they're also more sensitive?)

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
so far i have smart everything, even my fucking robo vac, but i won't do smoke alarms b/c i've seen too many negs on it (they're also more sensitive?)
Is Roomba overrated?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Is Roomba overrated?
for 400$ they don't make sense, for 300 or even 200, no. i have a shark on wifi and an old roomba in the basement, low power shit that just spins a brush

• 1Like