Smartphones

fris

Vyemm Raider
i wanted to switch to google voice, and i understand it's easier w/ sprint than other carriers or was at some point. but like wave and various other google things, never know if google will give up on it at some point. for me, ALL i use is my cell. if i had a land line or office phone, i'd be more inclined to use it. i might even consider it if i could get a landline style phone to have in the house as i don't get the best cell reception here, just have a normal phone connected to one of the desktops here.

Mageling

Bronze Knight of the Realm
This MAY be a first. The Moto X has seen VZW release 4.4, and ATT is currently soak testing it.

The fucked up part? The non-carrier version and developer edition are still rotting on 4.2.2.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Windows 8 apologist.

Nuff said
never used windows 8
frown.png

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
That's one thing I absolutely love about my iPhone. I think I've seen 2 or 3 updates since I got the 5s?

Granted, these updates are just minor bug fixes, and not complete OS overhauls like Android is, but still, I get this shit quick!

More patent war buffoonery if anyone cares. The original $1 billion suit by Apple against Samsung isnow down to $290 million, and will likely be appealed again.

This shit is so out of hand when you can patenta rectangle with rounded corners... with 15 alleged "inventors", really? Especially ridiculous consideringHP was selling a tablet computer called the "iPAQ" circa 2001which was a rectangle with rounded corners, a screen, a similar button setup to tablets today, and even had lower case "i-" in the name ...

ipaq_210.jpg

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I had an iPAQ... it felt more like a palm pilot in color than a tablet, but I suppose someone could argue that a palm pilot was a tablet anyways.

Gnomedolf

<Silver Donator>
I had an iPAQ... it felt more like a palm pilot in color than a tablet, but I suppose someone could argue that a palm pilot was a tablet anyways.
Actually, they have to pay about $888 million in total. They were only reconsidering $450 million of the billion, which got lowered to 290.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
True but still retarded and the Ipaq example among the windows phones (ppc6600) and Treo's should show most of this shit wasn't invented by Apple.

But 'Merica!

opiate82

Bronze Squire
That's one thing I absolutely love about my iPhone. I think I've seen 2 or 3 updates since I got the 5s?

Granted, these updates are just minor bug fixes, and not complete OS overhauls like Android is, but still, I get this shit quick!
Maybe not a full OS update, but I get updates from Google all the time now that they have compartmentalized most of their stuff. Most updates now are just done through the Play store really quick and don't need full fledged updates. Also gotten 2 full OS updates in the less than one year that I have owned my Nexus 4 (Came with ICS, gotten Jelly Bean and now Kit Kat).

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Maybe not a full OS update, but I get updates from Google all the time now that they have compartmentalized most of their stuff. Most updates now are just done through the Play store really quick and don't need full fledged updates. Also gotten 2 full OS updates in the less than one year that I have owned my Nexus 4 (Came with ICS, gotten Jelly Bean and now Kit Kat).
Yeah, a lot of Android features updated through the Play store with Google specific apps that replace AOSP apps like the Google Keyboard and now Hangouts replacing Messaging for SMS. It really got started when Google rolled out the Play Services Framework as an app that gets updated through the store. That way Google can still push some updates out to phones that aren't getting updated due to carriers or manufacturers.

Burnesto

Molten Core Raider
So I was in my upgrade window and Amazon had the 1 cent Moto X deal. I previously had a Bionic.

I think there was really no way that I could have gone wrong in this situation.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
received the 4.4 OTA update on my completely stock LG Nexus 4. 3 hours later the installation hadn't gone further than the kitkat animation logo and eventually the battery died. Charging it and powering back on just went into the same loop.

To make matters worse I moved house over the weekend and had no domestic internet service so I couldn't google any fixes. In the end I had to use a neighbours wifi code (I barely received the signal) and had to wipe the phone and flash install 4.4 myself.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
[Bug Watch] Exchange Email Badly Broken For Many Android 4.4 Users, No Single Cause Yet Determined [Update: Fix Coming]

Jesus Google, how the fuck does this shit happen? Since I updated to 4.4 I've had to disable my personal email account from my phone, otherwise it continually tries to sync and drains my battery in a couple hours. This shit should just flat out not fucking happen. If memory serves the 4.3 upgrade caused Gmail to drain my phone's battery in under an hour, causing it to get almost too hot to touch. Never figured out what caused that, I restarted the phone a few times and removed/added the Gmail accounts and it cleared up. No such luck with this latest Exchange bullshit.

Get your fucking shit together. The past two major OS updates have both fucked with my phone. That's not acceptable.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Just picked up the Lumia 1520 and with the exception of AT&T's asshole decision to remove the integrated Qi charging in favor of a PMA case, it is one sweet ass phone. Beautiful huge screen, super fast, and so far great battery life (still 85% charge after 5 hours of use). The size may scare some off, but for me it's perfect and I'll definitely be reaching for my Ipad far less.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Weren't you already on 4.3? I think that was on all S4s when they launched.

But yeah, most cell carriers roll out the big version updates MONTHS after Google releases them. I don't expect to see 4.4 on my Note 3 on Sprint until after the first of the year, even though my year old Nexus 7 snagged it last week.

Another perk of owning a Nexus phone, updates ASAP. No having to wait for your cell carrier to alter/butcher them first.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Google has butchered 4.4 just fine all on it's own. They still haven't released a fix for this shit:https://code.google.com/p/android/is...etail?id=61785

Again, I cannot understand how this shit made it through QA. It's extremely widespread, and affects one of the most fundamental features of the phone. My Nexus 4 is still fucked, and there's no way I'm going to update my Nexus 10 until this shit is fixed.