Smartphones

Antarius

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm with you 100% joeboo. I'm too fucking gunshy to switch to T-Mobile or AT&T or Sprint because I know for a fact Verizon works at my house/office/parents place/brothers place/sports fields/cabins/etc. Once my contract is up though I think I'm going to be testing the waters with a new company and if it sucks I'll just sell the phone on reddit or craigslist or ebay or whatever and go back to Verizon. It might cost me a little $$$ but in the long run the cost of Verizon may balance it out.
you might as well just dismiss t-mobil if you're including "cabin" in one of the places you need a quality signal, t-mobile is pretty shit outside of larger cities...

Also, not sure how it is in the rest of the u.s. but at least here in northeast ohio, the providers actually all have really accurate coverage maps. for where they have 4g service versus 2/3 or no service at all (amish country southwest of cleveland)

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Got a few questions, have the HTC One M8 on Sprint.

I cant send photos etc to ATT users, is there a reason for this beyond "get a messaging app"?

Thinking about getting a 128gig Micro SD card, so I can whore my phone for torrents since it gets better speed than my actual internet. Read somewhere that some of the formats for Micro SD cards wont let you have files larger than 2gigs? Yay / nay / advice?

Also, how do I download IPtorrents on this damn phone? Lol

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
On sending photos, our Sprint M8s (non Harmon model) send photos fine to Verizon, Sprint, and TMo users. Not aware of anyone that we've sent photos to with AT&T though.

Seems like they'd be fine too though. I'd tend to think it's a user issue on either end.

Louis

Trakanon Raider
Got a few questions, have the HTC One M8 on Sprint.

I cant send photos etc to ATT users, is there a reason for this beyond "get a messaging app"?

Thinking about getting a 128gig Micro SD card, so I can whore my phone for torrents since it gets better speed than my actual internet. Read somewhere that some of the formats for Micro SD cards wont let you have files larger than 2gigs? Yay / nay / advice?

Also, how do I download IPtorrents on this damn phone? Lol
Had my LG G2 with ATT do this for the past month. I'd basically try to send a picture in a text and it would never work. Told me to check my apn settings, but they were always right. Tried Textra, chomp, and stock but nothing worked. Downloaded the new kitkat this morning and sure enough I was able to finally send pictures.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Hang outs seems to be randomly chopping my texts in half and not sending the second half. Any one else experienced this?

Pinch_sl

shitlord
My Verizon LG G2 developed a dead region on the touchscreen last week, and the knock-on feature no longer works unless I do two very slow, very deliberate taps outside of the dead zone. The dead zone is a horizontal stripe across the top of the screen, right where the "install" button is when you are in the google play store. I have been meaning to take it in for a replacement, and then tonight, my wife's G2 developed the exact same problem. Same dead zone in the exact same location.

Now I am wondering if I should request a different phone when I go into the Verizon store, because having two phones fail about 6.5 months in the exact same way makes me think there is a serious hardware flaw. Sure enough, after googling it, I see a ton of people posting about this exact problem. My concern is that I'm going to get a warranty replacement (probably a refurb unit), and if it fails in the exact same way in 6 months, I'll be outside my warranty and I'll either be paying a $100 (150?) deductible for a new phone or stuck with a dead region for the next year. Anyone gone through something similar? The timing of this issue was eerie, since both of our phones failed within a week of each other in the exact same way. I'd hate to end up with the same issue if my replacement is from the same stock of bad phones.

Vaclav

Seems every phone has an oddity to it these days - M8 is an amazing phone that I'm crazy about, but the antennae issue on Sprint models seems to be reasonably common for example.

I'd stick with the phone that you find most enjoyable for yourself rather than worrying too much about the odd failures. There's plenty of other good phones if that's really a big hangup for you though - but IMO you'll just be trading to a new set of issues.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
My Verizon LG G2 developed a dead region on the touchscreen last week, and the knock-on feature no longer works unless I do two very slow, very deliberate taps outside of the dead zone. The dead zone is a horizontal stripe across the top of the screen, right where the "install" button is when you are in the google play store. I have been meaning to take it in for a replacement, and then tonight, my wife's G2 developed the exact same problem. Same dead zone in the exact same location.

Now I am wondering if I should request a different phone when I go into the Verizon store, because having two phones fail about 6.5 months in the exact same way makes me think there is a serious hardware flaw. Sure enough, after googling it, I see a ton of people posting about this exact problem. My concern is that I'm going to get a warranty replacement (probably a refurb unit), and if it fails in the exact same way in 6 months, I'll be outside my warranty and I'll either be paying a $100 (150?) deductible for a new phone or stuck with a dead region for the next year. Anyone gone through something similar? The timing of this issue was eerie, since both of our phones failed within a week of each other in the exact same way. I'd hate to end up with the same issue if my replacement is from the same stock of bad phones.
My refurb G2 has the same issue. Developed about 6 weeks after I got it.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
If you guys are going to post your anecdotes about antennae performance, please don't do it in bars.
The problem is it's almost impossible to get any real comparison other than service in the field. Even comparing phones by db gain means nothing unless you're on the same service provider and same phone manufacturer. I've had phones with similarly 'acceptable' signal strength and one had a shitty call, the other didn't. I'm not sure if that was voice compression difference between phones/companies? Not really sure.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
The problem is it's almost impossible to get any real comparison other than service in the field. Even comparing phones by db gain means nothing unless you're on the same service provider and same phone manufacturer. I've had phones with similarly 'acceptable' signal strength and one had a shitty call, the other didn't. I'm not sure if that was voice compression difference between phones/companies? Not really sure.
It's still better than using bars. Yes, you're correct that certain decibels on different networks will mean different things.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Now I am wondering if I should request a different phone when I go into the Verizon store,
Does anyone know if you can actually do this? Every time I have tried to exchange a phone I have gotten the impression that you have to get the exact same phone you are trading in.

Vaclav

Does anyone know if you can actually do this? Every time I have tried to exchange a phone I have gotten the impression that you have to get the exact same phone you are trading in.
Outside of the 14/30 day return policy not heard of my providers (AT&T and Sprint) being willing to.

Inque

FunEmployed
Generally, if a guest comes into my store w/ an issue that is clearly a hardware flaw such as yours, yes we can put in a request for a completely different device. I've done it a couple times, it's rare, but if the situation justifies it, we can occasionally ask for a different phone.

Vaclav

I.e. Getting a regional manager or whatever to approve an exception to the rule?

He was asking policy, everyone occasionally breaks policies for CS but it's important to distinguish which it is,because a management approved breach of policy would likely get refused by some stores, while others approve it. A YMMV case.