Smartphones

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Been rocking the Nexus 5 for 2 years which is a year longer then I've kept a phone for the last 7 years. I preordered the 32gb 6p in charcoal. Estimated delivery date is Nov 5th so I have time to cancel the order if something more enticing emerges in the meantime.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Do either of the phones have an IR blaster? I see that is uses IR laser-assisted autofocus but no idea if that can be used for a universal remote.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I was fearing the announcement today would make me regret getting the Moto X Pure, but I'm not really that impressed with either Nexus at their price points.

Neki

Molten Core Raider
It might be good enough for a smartphone but there is always a need for OIS.

Even lens on pro level Canon and Nikon full frame cameras have optical stabilisation and the new Sony full frame cameras have inbody six-axis stabilisation to help with hand stutter. The sensors in these cameras are many times bigger than what you are getting in smartphones too.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
no, but my 5 did and I miss the crap out of it.
I'm still very confused. Are you saying you have the Nexus 6 and it doesn't have wireless charging? Cause I have the Nexus 6 and it absolutely does. I charge it all the time driving in my car with my Qi charger.

I feel like I am dumb and totally not understanding what you are saying.

As far as those phones go. I still love my Nexus 6 and really have no need to get a new one. But I am an absolute sucker for new technology so I may end up getting the 6p. Will have to see how I feel in a month or so.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I was fearing the announcement today would make me regret getting the Moto X Pure, but I'm not really that impressed with either Nexus at their price points.
The only thing I'd want is the fingerprint scanner. I would really like that to become standard soon.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Been rocking the Nexus 5 for 2 years which is a year longer then I've kept a phone for the last 7 years. I preordered the 32gb 6p in charcoal. Estimated delivery date is Nov 5th so I have time to cancel the order if something more enticing emerges in the meantime.
I was going to but it doesn't seem like it has been added to the Fi registration yet. Suppose I could preorder one through Google Play and just xfer it over, but if the delivery isn't unitl Nov 5th that means no phone from Oct 16th - Nov, which would probably suck.

edit: strike that, they are added now. About 2 hours ago it wasn't

opiate82

Bronze Squire
It might be good enough for a smartphone but there is always a need for OIS.

Even lens on pro level Canon and Nikon full frame cameras have optical stabilisation and the new Sony full frame cameras have inbody six-axis stabilisation to help with hand stutter. The sensors in these cameras are many times bigger than what you are getting in smartphones too.
Yeah, and with pro level cameras you are taking photos that might be blown up to the size of billboards, and also those lenses have selectable image stabilization because there are shooting situations where it is detrimental. Furthermore, they might have bigger sensors, but also are so much more user control on how much, or how little, light is allowed to reach the sensor.

Completely different animals shooting with a "pro level" (or any DSLR) camera and a cell-phone. You shouldn't view your cell-phone camera as of much use beyond snap-shots and if you do try to use your phone for artistic or "professional level" photography you frankly have the wrong tool for the job.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I'm still very confused. Are you saying you have the Nexus 6 and it doesn't have wireless charging? Cause I have the Nexus 6 and it absolutely does. I charge it all the time driving in my car with my Qi charger.

I feel like I am dumb and totally not understanding what you are saying.

As far as those phones go. I still love my Nexus 6 and really have no need to get a new one. But I am an absolute sucker for new technology so I may end up getting the 6p. Will have to see how I feel in a month or so.
yes, I was just in my managers office and said I was bummed the 6 didnt have it and he popped his down on his charger and viola so I am thinking I have one doesn't work with the Nexus or something. Going to retry mine later tonight.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
yes, I was just in my managers office and said I was bummed the 6 didnt have it and he popped his down on his charger and viola so I am thinking I have one doesn't work with the Nexus or something. Going to retry mine later tonight.
Yeah you should maybe return it or something then. Cause yeah it for sure has it.

Seems odd they would have it on the Nexus 6, but then not have it on it's successor. That isn't make or break for me, but it is a bummer to hear.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
There are different wifi charging standards, make sure the nexus 6 actually supports the charger you have

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
ya, got home and checked my old one for the 5 and it is magnetic. I am wondering if thats what makes it not compatible with the 6. One my manager has is not magnetic.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
The only thing I'd want is the fingerprint scanner. I would really like that to become standard soon.
Same here. Not because I want to unlock my phone fast (I don't have a pass code on it anyway) but because I'm hoping that the fingerprint scanner will start to replace passwords once it becomes ubiquitous. I hate fucking passwords so much.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I have the fingerprint scanner on my Galaxy S6 Edge. I too was looking forward to it, but ended up turning it off. You need to place your finger just right or it will not recognize. If you fail 3x, you are forced to enter your manual password. After getting 3x fail lockout multiple times, I just gave up and disabled the fingerprint scanner. Other brands might do it better, but the Galaxy version needs more polish.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
I have the fingerprint scanner on my Galaxy S6 Edge. I too was looking forward to it, but ended up turning it off. You need to place your finger just right or it will not recognize. If you fail 3x, you are forced to enter your manual password. After getting 3x fail lockout multiple times, I just gave up and disabled the fingerprint scanner. Other brands might do it better, but the Galaxy version needs more polish.
Really? I find mine works perfectly (not an Edge, but that shouldn't matter). Occasionally I might not place my thumb on it properly, but it works probably 95% of the time on the first try. I've been quite impressed with it. Only issue I've run in to with it is if your hands are really moist and/or pruned (from a hot tub or whatever). Then it flat out won't work.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Ordered up a pair of 6P's for the wife and I. My Mom, Dad and Brother also are all getting 5X's. All of us replacing N4's so that should be a significant upgrade. My biggest hope is the camera lives up to the hype.

We all also ended up being able to get an "instant invite" to Project Fi, before Google was aware we were purchasing hardware. Are invites just open now?

Mario Speedwagon

Gold Recognition
<Prior Amod>
Really? I find mine works perfectly (not an Edge, but that shouldn't matter). Occasionally I might not place my thumb on it properly, but it works probably 95% of the time on the first try. I've been quite impressed with it. Only issue I've run in to with it is if your hands are really moist and/or pruned (from a hot tub or whatever). Then it flat out won't work.
Can't unlock your smartphone because your fingers are too pruned from your hot tub?Rerolled

Rais

Trakanon Raider
Just got my invite to project fi. I just resigned for sprint back in August for 1 raping a month. Going to cancel and move on to pFi. Sucks having to pay a cancellation fee (300) and a new Nexus whatever ~400 dollars, but sure as shit it'll pretty much pay off in under a year. Fuck paying over 100 dollars a month for a phone.