Smartphones

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I like it a lot, better than just having t mobile and much cheaper. Think it took around 2-3 months before I got my invite.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Myself, my Dad and my Brother all signed up for Fi and got instant invites. My wife got a "we'll get back to you next week" email. Have no idea why we'd get instant invites and not her since we have all had the same phones/plans for years now, maybe Google is sexist.

We won't get a chance to use Fi until our Nexus phones all get here sometime in early Nov. but I have a buddy who has been using it for a couple of months and is pretty happy. I don't think he makes many phone calls so he can't really comment as to the reliability of how seamless the switching networks or over to WiFi calling works.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
We might give it a try. I have two new nexus coming and depending on when my wife gets her invite we might switch. I've got dead weight on my existing plan that I need to shed before moving. My retarded brother in law talks about how much money he makes in his field and can't pay his cellphone bill or get an account in his name because he is a fuck off. I took pity on him last year and won't make that mistake again.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Any Project Fi people out there that can tell me how you like the service? I signed up for an invite on Sunday and was wondering how long it took for you guys to receive them.
Just got mine this morning - took 2-3 weeks.

Hopefully I can wait on taking it though - don't feel like paying off my M8 just to buy a 6P right away to jump over to it. [Yea, I know the financing thing - but I'd be saving nothing at that point besides refunds for unused data at that point]

Actually double checked - I'd be about $20/mo ahead per line financed (but I think we still need an invite for her) - but still... rather have it paid off in advance to save $40/line.

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
I've been saying for years that as soon as the "grandfathered" unlimited plans have few enough people that they don't care about them anymore, they're going to take it away from you anyway. Forgoing things like phone subsidies to keep your unlimited plan is silly, especially if you are just doing it because you think you might need more data in the future. THERE IS NO FUTURE.
There was no reason to forego subsidies. There have been multiple methods to use an available upgrade to purchase a subsidized phone without giving up unlimited data. I upgraded to a GS6 at the beginning of September in preparation for VSW's new plans. Locked in until 2017, by then I can only hope the Wireless companies unfuck their current data model.

I used the Best Buy Method.

http://slickdeals.net/f/6964624-upgr...a-with-verizon

http://slickdeals.net/f/7743625-veri...ide-basic-line

Palum

what Suineg set it to
There was no reason to forego subsidies. There have been multiple methods to use an available upgrade to purchase a subsidized phone without giving up unlimited data. I upgraded to a GS6 at the beginning of September in preparation for VSW's new plans. Locked in until 2017, by then I can only hope the Wireless companies unfuck their current data model.

I used the Best Buy Method.

http://slickdeals.net/f/6964624-upgr...a-with-verizon

http://slickdeals.net/f/7743625-veri...ide-basic-line
Lol, if anything you will be paying $10/gb in 2017 with streaming 1Gbps connections and backroom deals with services like Netflix and Hulu to push absurd amounts of 4K HD content to your phone to increase prices.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Any Project Fi people out there that can tell me how you like the service? I signed up for an invite on Sunday and was wondering how long it took for you guys to receive them.
It took a few weeks to get an invite, then I ordered my 5X on release day. It days it'll be here October 20th so we'll see. An issue I'm having I that my current plan is with Verizon through work, which I'm leaving. So they've agreed to put the plan in my name. Okay, great. But now they're saying the number can only be used with Verizon and I can't transfer it between services. Plus they never actually told me what the plan was, or costs, or any terms. Hopefully Verizon contacts me for some sort of details, the company has basically washed their hands of me and told me to work directly with the carrier. Just done want to give up a decade+ phone number.

ubiquitrips

Golden Knight of the Realm
I have been on Project Fi for a little over three months now. I transferred from T-Mobile. Service / quality has been no issue. My situation has only improved as I have access to the Sprint network as well. I have seen no issues with WiFi calling or transitioning between services.

The price point is right as I have been hovering around $28/mo. I just ordered the 5X for my wife and I am going to get her on Fi as well. Will take that $67/mo and turn it in to around $40 most likely. Basically, switching to Fi will have ended up halving our cell phone bill.

I am still using the Nexus 6 and I am toying with the idea of getting the 5X or 6P. I haven't had any issues with the 6 though so nothing is really driving that motivation except for having something shiny.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Can you limit the amount of data you use on fi? With tmobile even if you go over they just throttle you, it seems with fi you can keep on getting charged per gig. It also sucks they dont have a family plan.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Can you limit the amount of data you use on fi? With tmobile even if you go over they just throttle you, it seems with fi you can keep on getting charged per gig. It also sucks they dont have a family plan.
Its pretty trivial to limit your mobile data usage in android and monitor it. With chrome and other browsers you can also get compressed versions of the web sites you visit really cutting down on data use. If you are even remotely diligent you can be in Wifi a lot eliminating the need to be conservative with data.

I haven't messed with Fi yet but did some testing on AT&T recently to see what we'd use if we weren't just pigs with data and the reality is even with heavy useage you don't need to use a lot of mobile data.

Neki

Molten Core Raider
I feel bad for you US Bros. I don't understand how US mobile contracts are so expensive.

Comparitively, I've just changed mobile plan this week and signed up to a 12 month sim only contract withThreethe UK which is:

Unlimited 4G data
Unlimited minutes
8GB tethering per month

Should have been ?27 ($42) per month but they discounted it to ?20 ($30) to get me to switch over. Such a good deal that I couldn't pass up.

Now just got to wait for the 6P to be released...

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Not to defend our wireless companies but take a look at the UK and compare it to the USA and realize that our population density and landmass make things considerably more expensive.

Our MVNO system is actually dropping rates pretty quickly here with a lot of options creating competition.

Now our home ISP market is terrible because of the monopolies.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I feel bad for you US Bros. I don't understand how US mobile contracts are so expensive.

Comparitively, I've just changed mobile plan this week and signed up to a 12 month sim only contract withThreethe UK which is:

Unlimited 4G data
Unlimited minutes
8GB tethering per month

Should have been ?27 ($42) per month but they discounted it to ?20 ($30) to get me to switch over. Such a good deal that I couldn't pass up.

Now just got to wait for the 6P to be released...
American greed, my friend that is why.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Not to defend our wireless companies but take a look at the UK and compare it to the USA and realize that our population density and landmass make things considerably more expensive.
Very much true. The UK is roughly the same size as California, and California is approximately 5% of the contiguous 48 states. The entire continent of Europe is only about 20% bigger than the US(lower 48)

Anyone here in the US that has a cell phone would expect it to work 90%+ of the time on a road trip from Seattle to Miami.

I don't know that anyone in Europe would get near as much up-time travelling the same distance from London to Baghdad

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Also ignoring the ridiculous subsidies or tax breaks telecoms get for infrastructure...

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Also ignoring the ridiculous subsidies or tax breaks telecoms get for infrastructure...
On that I'm not really pissed at the wireless companies for those subsidies much. Networks have improved dramatically over the last 20 years and I just finished a trip from SE FL to Toronto and back (up on the east side and back on the west) and never, not once, lost streaming audio or video the entire time. Every place we stopped I had coverage.

Networks have gone from phone only to 2g to 3g to LTE all in a fairly small amount of time. I can't bitch, that is a lot of actual investment.

Where subsidies piss me off is cable and AT&T specifically who has been sandbagging upgrading their twisted copper for decades now. They can go fuck themselves on that end and I agree with you. They should be forced to pay all that back and more for not finishing their fiber expansion.